Sandra Lengert AKA Sanlynn

Artyczar

After a little break, we are off to the races again with our exciting Artists Spotlights. For September, we are featuring Sandra Lengert who you all have come to know as Sanlynn here on the forums, and we are more than honored to spotlight her and her incredible talents. Hailing from beautiful British Columbia, she has been a member here since October 2021. I hope you will enjoy our interview and getting to know more about her fascinating life. I know I for one love knowing more about the lives of all our members. ♥️

Hi Sandra. Please tell us where you are from and where you live and work now.

I grew up in the country near a sleepy small town in mid-western Alberta, Canada. Our house was on a hill and I remember walking to the creek on our property and cutting our own pine trees for Christmas. Now I live in the beautiful eastern Fraser Valley, BC, in a small town tucked under a huge hill and a river with trails on the other side. We are minutes away from lakes, and mountains, and the ocean is about an hour away.

How did you begin making art in your life? (Did you study in school?) And how old were you?

I imagine I began making art at a very young age with a box of crayons but the first time I was recognized as having talent was in Grade Two. It was a Thanksgiving project of drawing and colouring a turkey. The teacher was so impressed she contacted my parents. Our small town school had no formal art classes so I enrolled in a correspondence class in high school. I found it difficult without an instructor but managed to get really good feedback. My parents wanted to send me to the Banff School of Fine Arts but I was far too shy and lacked the self-confidence to do it. If I only knew then, what I know now!!

thumb_IMG_3331.jpg

Springtime on the Farm, pastel, 11 x 15 inches.

What is your favorite media to work in and how did you discover it?

My favorite media would be soft pastels. I discovered it at an art gallery in Fort Langley BC where they were showing the work of a local artist, Dianna Ponting. I found out she gave workshops and attended a few. I tend to do a lot more watercolour now as I find soft pastels so messy. I also enjoy pen and ink drawing and have recently discovered gouache. The first time I took an art class was at our local Elder College at the age of 50. The first day I produced a simple watercolour of some fall leaves but was so excited with the fluid properties of watercolour and the results, I could hardly drive home. By this time our five children were pretty independent and it was time for me to explore my talent.

8323_1194194265626_1551530922_30535154_6471376_n.jpg

Here comes the Sun, pastel, 14 x 11 inches.

Is your work planned, or is it emotionally spontaneous?

A bit of both really. Something I see inspires me and I usually process it for a while subconsciously then one day it just happens, meaning it just flows. Those are my favorite paintings. My planned work was a few commissioned pieces and challenges from various websites. I try to do daily sketches to keep my skills up.

From where do you draw inspiration?

My biggest inspiration is nature. I am continuously amazed at what it has to offer.

IMG_0861.jpg

Chilly Sparrows, watercolour, 9 x 11 inches.

Do you have specific artistic influences? (Can you give us some examples and why?)

That’s a tough question as I enjoy every genre of art. I discovered Georgia O’Keeffe’s work when I was into macro photography. I was already exploring the intricacies of everyday objects and how they became so interesting close-up.

1535007_10205247909627904_2435739785987759982_n.jpg

Spring Rain, charcoal, 14 x 14 inches.

Can you share some of your processes?

I am always amazed that I can look at something and my brain can process what I see and it comes to my fingers and out as a drawing or painting. Like I said earlier my best work is processed, sometimes for many months before I sit down and it just comes pouring out. It usually starts as a drawing but sometimes I just start painting and see what happens. None of my work takes long periods of time. I’ve been told I have lots of patience but when it comes to my artwork I like to complete it quickly.

I like to explore what other artists are doing and give it a try. I try not to get stuck in one place but keep experimenting and learning.

IMG_E2799.jpg

Mendicant, watercolour, 9 x 11 inches.

Would you describe your current workspace? We want to picture it!

My workspace is a former bedroom on the upper floor of our house. I have shelves of books and reference materials. I have containers with lids of old interesting objects, and treasures. I work on a draftsman table with pencils brushes, pens, a lamp, and iPad. A set of drawers holds tools and art supplies. A table with used sketchbooks and finished experiments. I should really tidy that up. An easel sits in a corner along with a travel pack of supplies.

What is your favorite aspect of art? This can be art in general or why you work at it.

I can only describe the feeling of producing artwork as “Pure Joy!” It takes me to a place that is all my own and when I’m in the zone everything else disappears. I experience a deep feeling of satisfaction when I complete a work. I also get attached to them and have a hard time parting with them.

9930_1216427981455_1551530922_30594518_5711337_n.jpg

Safe in the Shadow, pastel, 9 x 11 inches.

Where on the earth is your utmost favorite place to stay, other than home?

The west coast of Vancouver Island, between Ucluelet and Tofino. It offers raw nature that excites me no matter if it’s calm or stormy. The big waves at Long Beach always take my breath away. There is so much to explore and beauty around every corner.

Lastly, do you have a website, and/or social media platform(s) you would like to promote?

I have an Instagram account but don’t promote my artwork.

Thank you so much for giving us the opportunity to know you better. :)

Sandra, I feel so fortunate to have seen so many of your magnificent works over the years on different forums. The scope of your talent with multiple subjects and media is thrilling. It is of particular interest to me that you do not spend a long time on your works. Safe in the Shadows is award winning. Thanks so much for showing us your work and discussing your life.

BTW, I just came back from a trip to Canada (and Greenland). Canadians are always so polite and welcoming. My husband says we he grows up, he wants to be Canadian! Our journeys took us to the opposite coast - NL and NS.

Great to get to know a bit about you, Sandra. Thanks for sharing these beautiful art works here. Gorgeous!

Thank you so much for participating in the interviews, Sandra! Your work is just exquisite. I can't take my eyes off of your charcoal sketch Spring Rain, and Safe In the Shadow is rich and lush - delicious!

Loved reading about your background. Thanks again! ❤️

Back