What art supplies have you bought recently?

I've a set that I was given at Christmas but not really tried them out yet apart from a few rough sketches to look at the tints - loving your pooch done in them, very effective. What did you think of them after using them for this?

Sorry not to reply until now. My computer was offline for 2 weeks.

I really like them. They are as easy to use as charcoal ie I like to 'draw'
initial gesture with a kneadable eraser into the charcoal and unlike some
media , it does erase !!
I'm pleased with them - I had them hanging around for a few weeks until
I finally tried them - I'm glad I did ! I like working with charcoal and now this gives me
the extra range of colour.

Cheers,
Patricia

Had to backtrack who this "they" is you're talking about. Tinted charcoal. Sounds like interesting stuff.

Had to backtrack who this "they" is you're talking about. Tinted charcoal. Sounds like interesting stuff.

Gads ! You are right ! Sorry ! Now that I've backtracked I can see that the name ' Derwent
Tinted Charcoal Pencils' is only given in my original post [post # 111]
and in Sue's reply to my post but was not given in my reply to Sue's reply !!!

By the way , here's another advantage of the Derwent Tinted Charcoal pencils - they
sharpen without incessantly breaking !

Cheers,
Patricia

Thanks Patricia, no worries about delay - technology is great until it isn't! ;)

Good to hear that they erase - I do enjoy working in charcoal and also 'draw' with an eraser so that is a real bonus. I'll have to get them out and give them a tryout. I recently spotted that Derwent do a tin of XL blocks - Tin of six contains Ochre, Sanguine, Mars Violet, Sepia, Black and White - and I do like using large blocks so that may be something to put on my shopping list.

I bought 20 old sable hair brushes on ebay for $24.99 + $5 shipping. Came to $32.29 with tax. That’s $1.61 per brush. I’ve never seen or heard of this brand/ label before. Jal-Craft, made in USA. They have real good quality sable hair bristles. The ferrels all had single a crimp which needed re-crimping, so I used my wire crimper and tightened them. The paint was chipping off some of the wood handles so I shellacked them.
All brights, about 3/8” wide

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 100
A couple days ago I purchased

Nineteen Talens Ecoline Brushpens for $2 each brand new.
Five Ecoline liquid watercolors in a damaged case for $12 brand new.
Four empty Montana 20ml refillable markers w 8ml round and 10ml chisel tips for $2 each new.
A Hahnemule Harmony 12 x 16 WC block hp for $9 brand new w torn cover.
A Tom Jones WC palette 17.25 x 13.25 for $15 brand new w damaged packaging.
Two Ampersand Hardbords 24x30 with slightly fluffy corners for $8 each.
A beautiful wooden picture frame with glass and ready to use 12 x 16 for $7 used but perfect.
A very nice sheet cake carrier big enough hold 1/2 sheets... Gonna use it to soak WC paper $7.

I bought a 2" wide shoulder strap to use with my french half box easel.... and I needed two large rubber bands to use with a wet panel carrier, but I had to buy a box of 90 to get the two that I need. SO I have 88 large 7" x 1/4" rubber bands left over.

I bought a 2" wide shoulder strap to use with my french half box easel.... and I needed two large rubber bands to use with a wet panel carrier, but I had to buy a box of 90 to get the two that I need. SO I have 88 large 7" x 1/4" rubber bands left over.
Do an art with unconventional materials and use the rubber bands with it?

I got an egg today that was so fresh that I had to wash my hand. Seriously, it was that fresh.
It's a darned shame that I feel so uninspired :-(

I got an egg today that was so fresh that I had to wash my hand. Seriously, it was that fresh.
It's a darned shame that I feel so uninspired :-(
You're not alone I'm in a bit of a rut myself. But look on the bright side, at least you can make an omelette :D

Well its not exactly art supplies but…
Last week I picked a cheap sawdust wood entertainment center at a sale and after making a major effort at uncovering the other side of my art room I was able to move it into place.

20220428_133901.jpg

Half of it now holds 11x14 and smaller canvases, paper and frames. As well as extra paint tubes and cans of varnish.

Well its not exactly art supplies but…
Last week I picked a cheap sawdust wood entertainment center at a sale and after making a major effort at uncovering the other side of my art room I was able to move it into place.

View attachment 21342

Half of it now holds 11x14 and smaller canvases, paper and frames. As well as extra paint tubes and cans of varnish.
This will come in handy!

I bought some WSO paints a week or so ago

Also I picked these up today at Walmart.
20220503_130135.jpg

I found these little angle brushes work great on my small paintings. (4.5x6 and the like). The pack costs 3 something and tend to last me a year or 2. When they get bad I can just replace them.

This is for small paintings and I probably less time painting then most but yes. This is my last pack of them which is from before the corona shortages. I wanted to replace them last year but this is the first they were in stock.
20220503_172644.jpg

AJ, do you keep your brushes wet while painting, then wash with soap and water when thru? With reasonable care, they should last for quite awhile.
I buy inexpensive brushes and do not wash them.. I have not owned brushes of expense in a long while.. those I’d definitely wash. The brushes I purchase are from the general store and Micheals.

Back