What art supplies have you bought recently?

I picked these old Walter T. Foster instructional books at a thrift store in Princeton, IL for $1 each. The antique stores around here typically sell them for $10+.

100_8021.JPG

I picked these old Walter T. Foster instructional books at a thrift store in Princeton, IL for $1 each. The antique stores around here typically sell them for $10+.

View attachment 17677
I love this kind of thing. I have several old instructional booklets on photography, lighting and also hand coloring. They're valid and useful, it's mainly the products mentioned that are no longer available. ❤️

Just ordered two white charcoal pencils from Amazon to help with the sktchy 30 faces/30 days class all this month. I could not believe I had none and did use white cp before their arrival, but just was not strong enough. They work very well.

View attachment 17677
I see these often in the thrift stores here. They price at $1.99 - $2.99. I have about 25 or so, from very many years ago. Lots of great info and they bring back lots of memories.

And I have many other vintage instructional books that I cherish.

Mark, Ole - I have a Walter Foster book on watercolors that is in excellent condition and I really enjoy it. Found it at a book sale for a buck. Our local library had a sale several years ago, and they had several boxes of art books (likely donated by a deceased artist's family). All were in great shape, many OOP. So I picked up a few dozen by famous artists like Frank Webb, Jeanne Dobie, Ed Whitney, etc., for a buck each. I also bought several that I already had, and sold them on eBay. So I made a small profit of $50 in addition to paying for the ones I kept. I keep saying I will not buy any more. . . ;)

Two small tubes of Gamblin yellow ochre. (I'd ran out in the middle of a painting.) Had to wait over a week for shipping.

Two Faber-Castell erasing pencils; a Pentel Clic Eraser; and two rice-paper blending sticks from HobbyLobby. I'm concentrating on restarting my pencil drawing skills, which I last visited seven years ago. These detail erasers and blenders really clean up my work. Meanwhile, an acrylic abstract is half-finished, waiting off stage.

Not a purchase, but my wife was cleaning out our daughter's room and found some art supplies from her kid days. Among them, a 12pc box of BerolPrismacolor pencils. The box is worn but the pencils are almost unused. Probably from the early 1980's. I understand these are no longer produced, hard to find, and considered a quality standard. Lucky me. Also a loose two dozen colored pencils from Bic, France, a new palette of water colors and several dozen crayons. Score!! (y)

Last edited:
Needed to drive to Iceland´s "Capital of the North" last friday, so I had a chance to look into some shops that sell art supplies. Bought some watercolor paper, a Daler Rowley hot press, 100% cotton. I was wanting some smoother wc paper for ink and wash work. Also picked up a rigger brush. And an impulse buy, a Lyra pencil, water solvable graphite. Have been doodling a bit with it and quite like it, it combines nicely with watercolor. this is a hb one, might get some softer ones too next time round.

For those that use them, Hobby Lobby has their Prismacolor alcohol markers on clearance. They are down to $1.74 each. They are sposedly launching a refillable line ala Copic, so this is probably why...

Last edited:
I had to buy a new Ampersand gessoboard recently because I'm so behind, I don't have time to prep the older wood panel I already have. It's just easier to spend the money on one that's ready to go. It's a 24 x 24-inch square and will be here when I'm about read to work on it. Plus, I got more Gamblin Solvent Free Gel. I was running out.

I found two books by Theodore Kautzky: "Pencil Pictures" and "Ways with Watercolor" at the thrift store for $4 each. I also have his "Pencil Broadsides", which I've owned many years...

I also found two very nice heavy white ceramic deviled-egg trays for $4 each. I don't know if I should keep them for eggs or use them for palettes. They are beautiful...

I also came across two ziplock bags of pastels for $2 each. They are Unison and Senneliers. Each bag has 30 sticks in it...

Back