What art supplies have you bought recently?

I don't wash my brushes. I lay them in a painting tray of sunflour oil. Wipe before use and back in the small paint tray when done. I bough a few bristle brushes the other day. First time in years. If you don't scrub your paint with a brush they last a long long time.

As I’m painting I keep a jar of thinner nearby. When I’m done with a brush or need to change color I dip it in the jar, wipe it on the inner side of the jar a few times then dab or squeeze it in a paper towel.
After that the brush goes hair up in an empty jar.
I’d like to say I wash them with soap and water monthly but more likely it happens when the jar starts getting top heavy.

I have many watercolor and oil brushes that have lasted some 30+ years. Many have not been washed in years. I rinse them out in Turpenoid and lay them flat for a long time. I wash them with soap very occasionally, then store them bristles up in coffee jars and keep them in a cabinet so they don't get too dusty.

A six-pack of #3/0 >3 nylon liner brushes from XDT Art Supplies, $14 USD via Amazon. For acrylics, they look good, beautiful taper, haven't tried them yet. Need to practice my brushmanship.

Last edited:
I just got these swatch sheets from Etsy today. The pic is from her listing, here. Yes, I could have drawn this all out myself, but I wanted to save my old Arches stock for painting, as the new is not reputed to perform as well. It would be a real PITA to do it 54 times, and get an indeleble pen, etc. It is nice to su[[ort other artists. I never swatched out my colors, and will cut these apart. Although I do have a tendency to get too involved in minutia, which is why I have not done this yet. I am also placing some tube colors to dry in a travel palette (the Portable Painter) that will be easier to take out on my patio to use instead of my larger palette.

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 7.44.31 PM.png

Recently I've had some great finds:

A bag of 26 Sakura Cray-Pas Expressionist and 31 Sennelier Oil Pastels for $6 thrift store.
The book "Classical Painting Atelier" by Juliette Aristides for $4 thrift store.
The book "Outdoor Sketching" by Ernest W. Watson for $4 thrift store.
100 Derwent Lightfast Pencils for $100 clearance rack (no packaging).
A Best tabletop easel for $75 clearance rack (repaired).

A bag of 26 Sakura Cray-Pas Expressionist and 31 Sennelier Oil Pastels for $6 thrift store.
The book "Classical Painting Atelier" by Juliette Aristides for $4 thrift store.
No doubt about it. I gotta shop at your thrift store!

I have purchased many art books for $1 at book sales. Great haul!

I am in the process of changing my primary paint from acrylic to WMOs. To prepare for the switch over I needed to buy my initial supplies. I ordered six 200ml tubes of my most used color. 2 blue, 2 yellow and 2 earth tones.
Once my bank account recovers I will order 2 more—- 1 each of white and paynes grey.

I just spent a lot of money on a few gessoboards, canvases, and clayboards. Some were purchased for my upcoming birthday so I didn't have to pay for some of them, which was nice. They are all so expensive.

Ayin, that sounds like a good birthday haul. I would imagine those would be heavy to ship and cumbersome to store. Often one can buy supplies on eBay from hobby store closings of people that have no use for them, like an estate sale. Mixed lots may have used items, but anything not useful to the artist can be donated. Looking at the sold items it seems like many artists got phenomenal deals. Of course, one can tempted to overbuy.

It sounds like you work in a lot of mediums.

Well, as luck would have it, I was able to replinsh my bank account with the sale of a painting yesterday!
So, being a man of my word, I obtained my remaining tubes of WMO'S, and a couple more for good measure!!
I decided to start painting some semi-abstract pieces to get my arm and brain into sync. With Parkinsons that can be a challenge!! CHARGE---------

14x11 canvas panel using Lukas Berlin Water Mixable Oils applied with a 2 inch cheap natural bristled brush.

Chimney Rock - Ghost Ranch NM -- semi-abstract

IMG-0988.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the sale, Richard! You turned that into more art supplies like a dedicated artist. :) And what a beautiful painting! Love this texture!

I bought copy paper - 500 sheets for $10 on sale. I recently started using copy paper, pencil, pen, and crayons to do small line drawings. I really love it. I can scribble away to my hearts content without worrying about wasting "good" paper, paint, etc. If I don't like something, I just toss it out. I find it quite liberating.

Back