What art supplies have you bought recently?

Half a litre of refined linseed oil and a fist full of cheap hog hair filberts. The hog hairs may have been a mistake, as in use the bristles seem a little brittle. I'm wondering about conditioning them in some way.

I had to wait to pick up a new printer at Office Depot so went across to Jerry's Artarama to stay cool. Instead I spent about $75. Ha. Pretty cool.
cssupplies550.jpg

Ayin, that sounds like a good birthday haul. I would imagine those would be heavy to ship and cumbersome to store. Often one can buy supplies on eBay from hobby store closings of people that have no use for them, like an estate sale. Mixed lots may have used items, but anything not useful to the artist can be donated. Looking at the sold items it seems like many artists got phenomenal deals. Of course, one can tempted to overbuy.

It sounds like you work in a lot of mediums.
They are heavy to ship, and my storage is out of control. The problem with eBay and those other options is that I am looking for specific things and I often can't find what I'm looking for (exact sizes, profiles, etc.) for my plans or within the timeframe I'm looking. I'm also quite a drive from the nearest art supply store which is, unfortunately, a Hobby Lobby, so I usually have to order from Blick or Amazon online. I don't usually overbuy. I just get what I need.

I was going to put off buying these until September when I went into LA where there's a Blick store, but I can't wait that long.

Yes, I do work in a lot of media. The gessoboards are for the next four planned oil pieces and the clayboards are for some collaborations I'm doing with an artist friend for a probable show we'll be doing in the future at some point. Half of them are the low profiles for experimentation.

As per suggestion on this page I tried out 5 Bellow for art supplies. Nice canvases.. haven’t been able to open all the jars yet bc of the tinfoil on them won’t come off.. but the paint colors look cool from the jars! And I like the jars instead of tubes! And some brushes in a variety pack were in my cart!

As per suggestion on this page I tried out 5 Bellow for art supplies
I check in to see if they have anything new and different about once a month. Last time I went I bought one of those watercolor sketchbooks, made in India of 100% cotton. I paid - you guessed it -5 dollars. I like the surface of the paper. The four fine-tipped fountain pens that I got there for $4.00 a couple of months back are great for drawing. Plus I broke down and got one of those $5.00 MTV silkscreen kits 🤣

my last purchase at the artstore here in Vienna was Titanium White pigment, linseed oil and dammar resin to mix some egg tempera ("grassa")
I wish I could walk into anything local to me and get chunks of dammar; that kind of thing is considered too obscure and antiquated to keep in stock. I can't get rabbit skin glue locally. The last time I cooked up some gesso I had to use unflavored gelatin packets from a grocery store instead of RSG 🤣

I'm gonna try your recipe for tempera grassa as soon as possible. I guess I'll buy some bottled dammar varnish for that. Surprisingly, the two local art stores do have a very basic selection of pigments (ochres, ultramarine blue, titanium white...

Last week, I went to an art supply shop not far from my home. I had in mind to buy a Van Gogh watercolor set (Talens). I knew that they had Talens products. Unfortunately Van Gogh sets weren't available (I could command them and come back some days later to take them. The only available sets were Cotman (Winsor & Newton): a travel palette with 14 colors and a brush in plastic palette box with mixing areas, and a 24 color set in a bigger plastic box. I took the 14 color set as it was smaller and can fit in a (big) pocket.
I still didn't try them. I'm not really sure about Cotman. I feel that Van Gogh would be a better selection. In addition, it seems harder to find separate Cotman colors than Van Gogh ones. I wouldn't like to have the set becoming useless after some of the colors ar entirely used but not replaced.

Another thing I didn't like at all is that the price was much higher than the same in another shop in the town (28 euro vs 19.90. That's a lot higher). Next time I have to be more careful.

On the other hand, I bought a watercolor brush, one of those thick brushes with a fine tip. I saw various youtube videos where an artist uses just one of those brushes to paint an entire painting with large washes and fine details,

I broke down and bought a pack of cheap 16"x20" canvas panels at a Walmart in the next county over on Monday. What I wanted was 18x24 but I've looked in 3 counties now this year and have yet to find them actually in stock.

I got some books and supplies:

"Drawing Masterclass" a huge book over 700 pages $4.99 thrift store. This book goes with "Painting Masterclass", an equally large volume I purchased from same thrift store several months ago.
"The Drawings of John Ruskin" by Paul H. Walton $3.99 thrift store.
"The Artist's Mount Desert (American Painters on the Maine Coast" by John Wilmerding $3.99
" 7 Keys to Great Paintings" by Jane Hofstetter $3.99 thrift store.
"A Practical Guide to Landscape Painting" by Colin Hayes thrift store. This one was free w the purchase of the previous four books.

Two Raymar wet painting carriers- blemished 6x8 and 9x12 for $5 and $10 clearance rack.
Michael Harding Non-Absorbant Acrylic Primer (One Litre) opened and messy $15 clearance rack.
Three 16x20 Pastel Premier boards $10ea clearance rack. One is cracked and I'll cut it down.
Two terracotta vases (to hold oil and acrylic brushes) $2.99ea. Thrift store.
A bottle of Cretacolor Powdered Graphite (label torn) $5 clearance rack.
A complete pack of PanPastel Softools $20 clearance rack. Damaged package.

"Drawing Masterclass" a huge book over 700 pages $4.99 thrift store. This book goes with "Painting Masterclass", an equally large volume I purchased from same thrift store several months ago.
"The Artist's Mount Desert (American Painters on the Maine Coast" by John Wilmerding $3.99
"A Practical Guide to Landscape Painting" by Colin Hayes thrift store. This one was free w the purchase of the previous four books.

Two Raymar wet painting carriers- blemished 6x8 and 9x12 for $5 and $10 clearance rack.
Michael Harding Non-Absorbant Acrylic Primer (One Litre) opened and messy $15 clearance rack.
Three 16x20 Pastel Premier boards $10ea clearance rack. One is cracked and I'll cut it down.
That's a nice haul! You did well!

Those are extremely good books, congrats on your purchase!

A few more good buys from the same stores:
A U.go Anywhere Sea to Summit 6x8 pochade for...... $25! New w no package. This thing is adorable lol.
A Quiller Plastic Palette for $15. Used for a store demo, then clearanced. I've been wanting one for painting in my gardens. I've previously purchased the ceramic version, also on clearance years ago.
22 FC Pitt Brush Pens for $1ea. new no package. Clearenced...I just took the earth colors.
Two divided storage containers that are clear, so I can see my shorter color pencils standing up. Nice heavy weight acrylic a total of eight compartments. $6 both.

I did try the Cotman watercolour set I bought earlier in this month. Not very satisfied. I find the reds included in the set to not achieve really dark tones. The Cotman No.6 brush included in the set doesn't seem to keep a good amount of water/colour, and doesn't have a nice pointy tip to make fine lines. Next day I tried with the Pentel waterbrush (medium size), and I liked it much better. I have to try with the special watercolour brush by Talens I bought recently.

Perhaps I did use too much water to dilute the colours. Perhaps it was a paper issue too, as I didn't use any quality paper for those tests. Anyway I would feel more confident with Van Gogh watercolours.

I got a small set of Holbein gouaches (18), and 5 stacking porcelain mixing dishes. I had thought I purchased a bigger set of gouaches (I knew it seemed too cheap), so I guess I'll have to get another set when these run out-probably pretty quickly.

Back