What art supplies have you bought recently?

13 brushes from Rosemary & CO
list.jpg
brushes.jpg

I like stiff small brushes for detail. I'm hard on small brushes, they tend to flay.

This time got curved long flats, giving a little softer edge - sort of a cross between a long flat and a filbert ( i hope)

Never used a dagger, got a couple to try out.

Only took 3 days to get to Seattle from Good(formerly Great) Britain.

also came with a catalogue, 4 chocolate candies, and a sticker.

Last edited:
I bought these to use with my gansai paints

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MJ33D9F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this set of paints to use for adding some sparkle to Christmas cards:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09L67VNZM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

and these brushes:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFF6BMW9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMN451T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I don't use this posting photos thing very well but hopefully everyone can see what I posted.

The little tiny bowls for use with my gansai paints are wonderful. They're very small but just right for the use.

The paints are like gansai in formulation and pan size but they're the best metallics I've tried. Very intense colors and very good metallic shine if a strong enough mixture is used of paint to water. Opaque if used in one liberal coat but in a less liberal coat is used it will let the underpaint show through and will just add a metallic ethereal quality.

The brushes are great. I have many Fuumuui brushes now, both travel and regular, and find them quite good. Their travel brushes screw together so that's wonderful too. They don't wobble and fall apart that way.

I got birthday and Christmas money that enabled me to get these lovely supplies. Normally I don't do a lot of supply shopping because I have enough to last me two lifetimes since my aunt's lovely gesture to me when she died, but I wanted to share anyway.

Last edited:
From Jerry's
20231203_172410_copy_800x600.jpg

Two black polychromos pencils
Lukas 1862 Blue Black
Burnt Sienna
Cad. Red Lite
Cad Orange
Naples Yellow
Gamblin Titanium Buff

The Blue Black is a chromatic black made with Pyrrol Red Prussian Blue, and Pthalo Green - going to be great mixed to get street and pavement color and no doubt some other great uses and mixes.

Titanium buff I use as a warm white, very tricky (for me) to mix - and I use a lot of it.

Some recent finds:
Five 3-packs of Ampersand Auquabord size 5x7 panels for $5 ea.
An Etchr mini Porcelain two-palette set for $8. So adorable...
A new Sunpack lightweight tripod for $2.50, as a spare for my tiny pochades.
A nice new pair of very thin gloves w grippy dots for$3. Thin enough to use for plein aire..
The book "One Thousand Years of Painting " by Stefano Zuffi for $4.

Some recent finds:
Five 3-packs of Ampersand Auquabord size 5x7 panels for $5 ea.
An Etchr mini Porcelain two-palette set for $8. So adorable...
A new Sunpack lightweight tripod for $2.50, as a spare for my tiny pochades.
A nice new pair of very thin gloves w grippy dots for$3. Thin enough to use for plein aire..
The book "One Thousand Years of Painting " by Stefano Zuffi for $4.
I need to start using gloves when I paint. Now when I do plein air I don't wear gloves, only when I'm done I put on disposable gloves so I won't get paint on the car. In studio I don't wear gloves but I have to constantly wash my hands because I have paint all over them. But gloves wouldn't help. I'd have paint all over the gloves and have to keep changing them to keep from smearing paint on my work.

Hi... These gloves I got the other day were in the hunting aisle. They are thin and almost snug enough to bea second skin, and they are breathable and give a little bit of cold protection. They have great grip. Normally if I do wear gloves, I first put baby powder (corn starch) on my hands, then thin cotton artist gloves, then the blue nitriles, and my hands still sweat... I don't get much paint on my hands, gloves are worn normally for pastel.
I also have a power-pack heated hand warmer muff that I found in the hunting store and that works great. I truly love the cold, the snow and ice, but my most limiting cold weather plein aire factor is my hands. Otherwise, my favorite plein aire season is winter hands down lol...

I can't wear gloves when I paint either, Bongo. I go through a lot of those disinfectant wipes. Not a huge amount, but they are great for getting oil paint off the hands as I go along.

I don't like winter, and my hands get COLD. I can keep the rest of me reasonably warm. As winter sets in might try wearing a glove on my left hand and fingerless gloves on my right..

Those disinfectant wipes are a good idea, I think I might even have some on hand to try -- thanks

I wear them all the time. My hands are small so medium is a skin tight and by accident I bought a large and the fingers are too long and drag in the paint with certain knife maneuvers.

I bought a 4' x 8' hardboard panel from Home Depot and had them cut it every 20" down the 8' side. This makes it easier to cut 20"x40" or smaller painting panels as needed. If I cut the whole thing into 16"x20" panels - which is the plein air size I use - I could get 14 panels! That would come to $1.60 each - which ain't bad. I buy the panel that has the gloss white coating on one side - makes a nice presentation and then you don't have to mess with the backside.

It's getting into the rainy season.-- If you thought every season was the rainy season in Seattle you're right, but this is the mother of rainy seasons. So I bought -
20231221_183329_copy_800x600.jpg

12"x16" canvas textured paper, and 12"x16" real canvas sheets in a pad - have never used either. I'm going to be doing some daily exercises on them, and - for the terminally curious - will report back on which works out better.

I also bought a 12pack of 12"x16" canvas panels. These aren't the canvas-covered cardboard of yore, they now use MDF instead of the cardboard. They look beautiful - can't wait to try them out.

Last edited:
I haven't bought any supplies in a long time (I really don't need any). But two days ago I noticed a new art shop has opened in town, about 10 minutes away from where I work. Like I say, I don't need anything, but it all looks so shiny ...

I haven't bought any supplies in a long time (I really don't need any). But two days ago I noticed a new art shop has opened in town, about 10 minutes away from where I work. Like I say, I don't need anything, but it all looks so shiny ...
Just make sure nothing jumps into your shopping cart as you pass by! Those art supplies 🎨 can be real sneaky that way! 😉

As to myself, I've not gotten any real supplies, but "support items". Two Altoids "Smalls" tins to make into micro water color field tins (6 colors per tin) and a dozen small plastic containers for restoring my dried WC paints.

Bongo. Just to note, the paper you bought is 80 and Xl is 136. Almost double the weight or firmness. Just so you are no comparing apples to oranges as you asked what I was using. 😀

Bongo. Just to note, the paper you bought is 80 and Xl is 136. Almost double the weight or firmness. Just so you are no comparing apples to oranges as you asked what I was using. 😀
actually it's 115. The 80 is for their drawing paper. I don't have any xl paper so I won't have any way to compare it. My interest is comparing the paper "canvas" vs the canvas pads. Just by eye-ball of the ones I have - the canvas paper is much smoother, and the canvas pad is heavier. Haven't had a chance yet to see which one is better to paint on.

Have just purchased a small set of Conti crayons for portrait experiments, but I did see a box of very large crayons that I might need to test out early on 2024.

I didn't buy it, it was given me for a Christmas gift. Does that still count? Art dice! Which was timely, as I had complained to myself recently, "I think my muse is all used up..."

I gotta tell ya, I came back yesterday to respond to your statements, and couldn't get in! This, and other threads had a warning at the bottom saying I didn't have enough ..... [I forget the word] to post here, and a warning at the top to fix my email though I had not done anything to it. I sent a couple of emails to the "contact us" last night, for help.
Finally I'm back.
Cosmic joke, or what?

Anyway, Arty, art dice, search on amazon. Mine aren't that fancy, but made with love.

Back