What art supplies have you bought recently?

So I went in the new art shop today. I needed a new 0.1 Unipin fineliner so used that as an excuse. Decided to get two.

Sent a text to my husband telling him I'd had a look round, and his reply was "How much paper did you buy?" 🤣

I also bought a Khadi paper sketchbook - 100gsm handmade paper. I love the stuff, it's great for ink and watercolour. I also got some Yupo paper to try out. Does anyone else buy new paper and then sit there staring at it?
Most art supplies but especially paper/sketchbooks need a certain incubation time before they get used by me.
I feel rather silly about it but that doesn't change the behavior....

Most art supplies but especially paper/sketchbooks need a certain incubation time before they get used by me.
I feel rather silly about it but that doesn't change the behavior....
I'm the same way, can't wait to get a new stuff, but then as you say, there is an "incubation" period before I'll use it.

Here are some recent acquisitions from two thrift stores, an estate sale and a couple store clearance racks:

A nice steel rolling cabinet that will make a nice taboret $30.
A box containing 45 Pan Pastels lightly used for $50.
A Richeson paper soaking tray size 22 1/2"x30 1/2" for $9 new in the box.
A Ugo wet panel carrier that carries several different panel sizes for $25. Has a missing latch.
A C-thru aluminum 24" ruler for $2 like new.
A 10"x14" glass cutting board to use as a palette for $2.
you always seem to get good deals

I have one of the Mijello empty big paint palettes but with my arthritis it is difficult to open. I have one DS 5 ml tube but again same issue due to tiny size cap.
if you have a nutcracker, they're great for opening small bottle caps. If you don't have one, you can buy one cheap.
nc.jpg

Bongo, I'm intrigued by this idea of the nutcracker! I have some silicone things that are supposed to grip tubes, jars and the like, but sometimes they just can't grip firmly enough.

Posca pens: I have a set of 8 and have used them sparingly, as I am afraid of them. 🤪

Blick had a sale over the weekend and I went in. The had a Buy one/Get one free thing on Canson XL 9x12 pads. I picked up a watercolor pad and also the ever-useful spiral bound Mixed Media pad.

Also picked up several small bottles of fluid acrylics, both Golden and Utecht. I have worked more with acrylics recently, and have come to appreciate the value of the palette sheet. Stronger than waxed paper and still disposable. So, with the new acrylics I also picked up another Blick palette pad.

art purchases.jpg

I am starting to accumulate several colors of acrylics, so thought I should do what I've always done with my oil pastel sticks and make color swatch pages. The "free" Mixed Media notebook came in handy right away.

This page is just the new ones I bought. I have to get another page going for the primaries and probably neutrals.

acrylic paint color swatches.jpg

I really love that tin you have your half pans in. I keep wanting to find one similar but just haven't been able to find one yet.

I took a friend to a nearby city that I don't usually go to and checked out a small art store there.
Picked up a set of pencils so I'd have a set all by the same brand.
A small 1/4" rake brush.
And 2 Sakura oil pastels. I'm still thinking of getting a larger set of either these or Mungyos so I picked them up to give them a try.
20240307_195347.jpg

A decent haul from a thrift store:

"The Laws Guide to Nature Drawing and Journaling" by John Muir Laws $5.
"Old Niagara on the Lake" by Peter John Stokes and Robert Montgomery $3.
"Perspective Drawing Handbook" by Joseph D'Amelio and Sanford Hohauser $3.

I bought "The Daily Pressfield" by Steven Pressfield. Basically it's about facing the inner resistance we have about doing the difficult thing. Every day you read another page. I have enough art supplies for now. I need a kick in the ass.

He has some interviews on YouTube. You almost don't need the book. But the daily kick helps.

Finally buy 2 new watercolor paperpads and 1 new mixed media paperpad. Used up all stash from years, was down to just one of each using it since last week.

Other things bought botanical watercolors set Cotman, halfpan redbrown Jaxon watercolor and full pan Rose Mist White Nights granulated watercolor these 2 and few from the botanical set is for my landscape colors.
Watercolor pencil Lyra had ordered a Still de Grain but pencil say May Green.
I am sure may green is vert mai so bit confused.....
2 watercolorbrushes 1 round # 4 and 1 flat # 4. Painting boards for acrylic.
New set Faber Castell Black Edition metallics color pencils.

Attachments

• 20240320_093815.jpg
    20240320_093815.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 8
I forgot to share this. It was my birthday last month and my husband got me these pencils. They are loads of fun for sketching.

20240405_182502.jpg

And 2 Sakura oil pastels. I'm still thinking of getting a larger set of either these or Mungyos so I picked them up to give them a try.
@16ga - have you played with these oil pastels yet? I can vouch for the Sakura Expressionist as a terrific, inexpensive starter set, but even if you decided to move "up" you'll be glad to have them. They are great for sketching and for a first layer. From experience I can tell you the Mungyo will glide right over them (fat over lean) and quickly get you that thick, gorgeous texture. (Just make sure to purchase the Mungyo Gallery Artist Soft brand, because they are packaged similarly to their student grade, which don't perform nearly as well.)

Today I came home with a 5-pack of Blick canvas panels. Trying something new that needs a thin hard surface. ;) Gotta start cheap.

@16ga - have you played with these oil pastels yet? I can vouch for the Sakura Expressionist as a terrific, inexpensive starter set, but even if you decided to move "up" you'll be glad to have them. They are great for sketching and for a first layer. From experience I can tell you the Mungyo will glide right over them (fat over lean) and quickly get you that thick, gorgeous texture. (Just make sure to purchase the Mungyo Gallery Artist Soft brand, because they are packaged similarly to their student grade, which don't perform nearly as well.)

Today I came home with a 5-pack of Blick canvas panels. Trying something new that needs a thin hard surface. ;) Gotta start cheap.
Sadly I haven't yet. But thanks for the info. So far my concern with the Mungyos is that they only seem to come in sets.

So far my concern with the Mungyos is that they only seem to come in sets.
Right - I don't think I've ever seen them open stock. If you're not too concerned about price, their color profile is nearly identical to Neopastels, from Caran d'Ache. Those sticks are smaller. But they are available open stock, plus they have a higher lightfast grade than do the Mungyos.

I was in Jo-Anns - and they had a healthy supply of stretched canvases - with a sign that said 60% off - which I thought was too good to be true. SO I picked up a pack of four 15"x30" went to check out. The sale wasn't in the register, but they honored it anyway. So I got four 15"x30" stretched canvas for $8.00! That's only $2.00 a piece! Took them home to make sure they were of good quality and they are. SO - went back today and the 60% off sign was gone.

Back