What are you working on?

The sketch is magnificent, and I love the concept! Each panel tells a different part of the story with its own star character ... Fascinated to see how it turns out.

I'm already excited to see this one, Ayin - my god, a crown!!! And the clapping hands..., it's already got me hooked!

Thank you Martin, and Terri. I appreciate your words of encouragement. I've been having a lot of doubt about this series lately. Been noting this on my recent blog post.

Today I made two panel carriers from some Coroplast I purchased recently. Size 4x6 and 8x10. They can each hold 6 panels. I'm going to make a few more in different sizes for gifts.

After years as artistic Luddite I finally succumbed to the charms of digital painting: downloaded Krita and played with it a bit. I fear there is going to be a long learning curve... :)

Autumn smaller.jpg

After years as artistic Luddite I finally succumbed to the charms of digital painting: downloaded Krita and played with it a bit. I fear there is going to be a long learning curve... :)

Nice painting Brian! Love how that yellow pops on the dark background. I also just started doing digital sketching. I'm using ArtRage on my Samsung S pen tablet. I'm using it as a way to sketch before painting with real paint. Very handy and it's fun. I hate regular sketching. Then I take a pic of the painting and can use the camera editing/paint program to try out things before putting paint down.

ArtRage mobile is pretty simple which I like. The digital painting thing is a rabbit hole though and can get quite complex with other softwares. It looks like Krita is far more complex.

Good luck and nice start.

And an attempt at a sort of pseudo-pastel; Krita's tools for doing it are not bad:

Street cypresses small.jpg

This is fun, because while I have always liked the look of pastel, I have never done any because the materials are hideously expensive, and the pictures ultra-fragile. Digitally, I can freely indulge without worrying about smudging. :)

Brian until you mentioned it I didn't know about it and I downloaded Krita and promptly ran back to using ArtRage. I couldn't even find the brushes! LOL. Made my brain hurt and on my tablet the text is so small that I had a hard time even reading it. I'm sure with time I could figure it out. And a larger display would help.

It seems that Krita is really good if you want to make a painting that looks like a conventional painting. There is a lot of nuance. For me, for now, I just want to do basic sketching out of ideas, like doing thumbnail studies etc. and I still haven't learned all the things in ArtRage.
I'm surprised I am using digital. I used to be biased against the whole idea, thinking that it is cheating or something. It isn't. Still have to do the brushstrokes and design etc, it's just easier making corrections and trying things out.

And like you said, it's fun, because now there is no pressure about wasting materials or making bad decisions etc.

Brian until you mentioned it I didn't know about it and I downloaded Krita and promptly ran back to using ArtRage. I couldn't even find the brushes! LOL. Made my brain hurt and on my tablet the text is so small that I had a hard time even reading it. I'm sure with time I could figure it out. And a larger display would help.

There was a lot I couldn't figure out either, and the available documentation is pretty much useless, but then I realized that I would not need most of the functions in the first place. E.g. I don't work with layers. Took me a while to work out how to use the brushes, and how to edit them a bit for better results. Presumably I'll learn more tricks of the trade in due course.

It seems that Krita is really good if you want to make a painting that looks like a conventional painting. There is a lot of nuance. For me, for now, I just want to do basic sketching out of ideas, like doing thumbnail studies etc. and I still haven't learned all the things in ArtRage.

Yup, I have seen Krita paintings that at least on the screen can hardly be distinguished from physical ones.

I'm surprised I am using digital. I used to be biased against the whole idea, thinking that it is cheating or something. It isn't. Still have to do the brushstrokes and design etc, it's just easier making corrections and trying things out.

Yes, I had that same feeling. In fact it still feels a bit like cheating, because after the initial fumbling with the stylus and graphics tablet, it seems to me quite a bit easier than physical media. Still, I think the skills one learns and maintains this way are fairly readily translatable to physical media, so if and when I get back to "real' painting, I will hopefully not have become too rusty. :)

And like you said, it's fun, because now there is no pressure about wasting materials or making bad decisions etc.

Also, there's not lengthy setup and cleanup. If you have as many as ten minutes spare, you an quickly work a bit on your WIP.

Yes, I had that same feeling. In fact it still feels a bit like cheating, because after the initial fumbling with the stylus and graphics tablet, it seems to me quite a bit easier than physical media. Still, I think the skills one learns and maintains this way are fairly readily translatable to physical media, so if and when I get back to "real' painting, I will hopefully not have become too rusty. :)

And I think it's helping me with understanding color better. It's so easy to change to different hues and saturations etc. I think it's a good learning tool for doing regular painting.

And you know, I was thinking, that the major advantage conventional painting has is that one can do impasto, but now with 3d printing one will be able to do that also digitally.

And I just saw this ....Rebelle.....check out how the watercolor paints act. Amazing.

I tried Krita awhile back but like John I stuck to Artrage. I might have to give it a try again.

And another digital piece:

Cape sparrow small.jpg

Cape sparrow male - they're very common around here and I took the reference photo for this during a morning walk. :)

It's a weird "mixed media" thing: I started out with digital pastel, then tried to switch to oil brushes, then fell out of love with them and returned to pastel texture, and now it's a peculiar mix of both and neither. I think that at least with Krita, I decidedly prefer the pastel texture to imitation oil. Will have to experiment some more to decide.

And another digital pseudo-pastel:

Abandoned buildings, Putsonderwater small.jpg

Abandoned buildings, Putsonderwater. Krita.

As reference, I used a still from a documentary about this ghost town, which I would love to visit - I could spend days there snapping pictures. :)

So I had prepared a gessoed canvas with absorbent watercolor ground thinking of using all water based paints and instead I decided to use ink and oil paint. For once I started a painting like you're supposed to and sketched out the painting first, in oil, and have applied the ink. Next up is what they call blocking in with oils. I'll call it that so it sounds like I know what I'm doing. I don't. I should just call it painting while confused.

The interesting thing here is that with the canvas prepared this way one can use swirly watery paint effects and also do whatever oil paints can do. Probably not a common way to paint but I do like the random effects with water colors and inks and if I can also do the oil paint thing it might be cool.

Working from the sketch seen on the tablet that I did in ArtRage. Inspired and borrowing ideas from August Macke while putting my own spin on things. I hope. Might try to copy some Van Gogh foliage for the lower right side.

dWxbSMCGj7qdpmw3iOEUpY8BYGLeKmG1kmpOfXumbdOC9g7gfrfJoQcjrg_JE_tEYhqES_6-wKaFLvVxJygb07he-2SK4DYNjPr6bsfjJHGo5XzwUfyvMuq3Ffa_IwQGuzSOTt7q6IphnFEAr9hOsgClskE4zFljMu2ivVmiTHFjrOminb5U88ATWQJAdmP2osOqPtoc-8kPbI5FEV3yKzvz8NWny5-mpLFZKby6DnzdvJtdwZttob13E7Gm7VF8AGEbHR-hPkgGLKjd9gTDrKV8hC5HCrOC9bZEeCqmvpxhXz70NhP8JQd--8TyKKT46ipae3XYJXHS99NnVREpFRNHtRwsPXKBwoWgRPgJgNsJz3zH3VtzY9THWwmp45rZdHCFHOb00l9eNTnqddzDeX2yCaVtGEhMOUujk7ctQP5QDFjeY6tYd5-o34ysT6kZMA7VPa7t8xnhUR_dT2PwetmIuNHtylNBHmHVi7bQlF1M0ilTPyLwdRylyomRo3PqdRfVp6vGM1GEdOj1DyEifAE2LUx9ipwXaN0SWZk_DTHGacXMCQoWrZkoWtqCd5gcBN1tW8mQDSXgGtJWVlClRPrpNbyFivfqDz832R1lhenT_l7OUM2ea7BNrnX8ezfKHxN9px-StsKrM78xH4x_mS3JeiLcFifAGjTO06CcAx5k9z7XuGeb7y71QVW4nlLGZrOIL3Q9SA3BzT4PQZHnXm4EvDEbch9ZfueIZylHvkBlr7LhGFZmiGNkLi3TQspgpVWXLpclm7aDZah6A7KT2h2ktK52N1CZC4JTyS190eVN0XUFG3Npjp0l0Hcch9Q3EWxDQEuY5KsmYs32fkxN5eTRN38PI6EaR_MsHCyFUJypb7Cg3SHc2VVNylvmBzokvRo1nw796x2_km_RPEhONelbXumGIVu0HHivgkyhnZyDuES3mw=w1380-h893-s-no

Looks good John. Just make sure you do not put any water-based paint ON TOP of oil-based paint. The other way around is okay. ;)

Brian; interesting to see you playing around with the computer as a means of creating art. I have an iPad Pro and downloaded Procreate to make some attempts at computer art... but haven't done much yet at all. However, I have finally got down to putting in some serious effort at a new painting.

IMG-3342.700.jpg

This is obviously a work in progress. I've just finished the underpainting on a work that will be as large as the "Lenore," the last large work I completed (approximately 35x60").

LenorewithTop.edited.700.jpg

I'm thinking at present that this will be an image of Chloris/Flora (the ancient Greek/Roman goddesses of flowers... but I'm also thinking of the related DC comics character, Poison Ivy.

Back