What are you working on?

I finished the above plein air, in the studio, so it's confused about it's identity. 16x20 inches

I'm glad I got this finished so I can start another.

I should be posting finished stuff in the appropriate forum I guess, instead of here?

oldsow.jpg

That's great John. You sure are great with water. Post it wherever you want. Post it twice if you want.

Thanks guys. I must say though that IRL the clouds are not nearly as yellow and the colors are just plain off/oversaturated. I even used my DLSR for this image and the colors are still wrong. Frustrating, because I played with it in PS also. I need to figure it out. But I'm not complaining ( I guess I am aren't I?) I'm pretty happy with this (are we ever totally happy with our paintings?) and encouraged about the plein air thing. I like being outside and I like painting so it's a natural. I should have been doing this all along. Took me twenty years. Too soon old too late smart they say.

Speaking of photo editing software.....I just learned about Topaz Studio 2. Looks really cool and could be very helpful for us as artists. I also do astrophotography and someone took a poor image of mine and ran it through Topaz and it was miraculous, the difference. It has some cool abstraction effects also that could give us ideas.

You guys are great and great motivation for me. Thanks.

I'm pretty good at Photoshop. To pull the yellow out of the white, you can go to IMAGE-Selective Color and pick white and pull out some of the yellow and see if that works for you. Try it. I hope you know what I'm talking about, otherwise it just seems like odd instructions.

Thanks Arty! I've never tried that selective color function. I never got there far down the menu! I can't believe I didn't see that. I chose the yellow and then reduced it. The colors still are not exactly right but at least the yellow is not glaring anymore. Thanks. Now I need to play around some more with that area. I'm kinda new to PS......so much to learn. and I'm not that patient.

This is my second oil plein air. The first I was sinking into snow and with this one I was sinking into a marsh. I was really part of the scene.

16x20 inches I think it's done? It's a bit of a mess. Not sure I can do much more given the scene.

Wading River Marsh - Winter Solstice

Wading River Marsh.jpg

OMG, John. I LOVE this one. SO MUCH! It's really just absolutely stunning--totally my taste.

BTW, I meant, in PS to pull the yellow off the WHITE, not the yellow out of the yellow. You can also go to HUE SATURATION and pick yellow in there too and try to lighten it, or unsaturate it.

PS is like an onion. There is always more to learn. I always think I know everything about it, then someone else will come along and give me some new tip I never knew it could do. That's the beauty of it.

Thanks guys. Awww shucks Arty, thanks. I don't know who painted it.

I tried the yellow off the white and it took out diffuse sky yellow but not the yellow blobs. I needed to go right to the yellow channel and take it out there. But interesting, the difference between the white vs straight yellow. Yeah, much to learn. My color theory sense needs some learning.

Wishing us all a safe, productive, and prosperous 2021!
Today, January 1, I'm starting a new painting!
Expectations are that is a GOOD sign! :)

I was drawing while 2020 became 2021, drawing and drinking copious amounts of embalming fluid, and singing, "I'm coming up so you better get this party started!"

I was drawing while 2020 became 2021, drawing and drinking copious amounts of embalming fluid, and singing, "I'm coming up so you better get this party started!"
Your skin must be looking fab then😄.Hope you were twerking while you sang haha. Happy New Year everyone.Lets have a happy,healthy fun one.Yellow is for hope so here's a little yellow painting

Attachments

• IMG_20210101_130439_961.jpg
    IMG_20210101_130439_961.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 85
Happy New Year Everyone!

The idea for the painting this time was to push abstraction. I didn't have much time so I worked quickly with a painting knife. It was touched up in studio, also with the knife.

Linus Pond 16x20 inches

Linus Pond.jpg

"Ian: It's not what it looks like!"

because ? , aren't they a hedge, (or a row of cacti), a setting sun, and / or a sunrise sun?
ok, that's not the first thing i thought about, and i was sorry at first that i thought it was referring to me. :)

Back