What are you working on?

Yesterday I bought a French easel at the local Michaels, and tried out this plein air painting thing, again. I've been a skeptic. I tried it before while camping with watercolor, with poor results. Then I tried once with oil but I had to go to the bathroom so I took a picture and went home. Stupid plein air. What do the French know anyhow. They like making things difficult. It's all hype.

But today, in full reality escaping winter solstice mode, I took the easel, some paint, and a canvas to the park by the shore. It was 40 F and windy but I found a spot behind a dune that was calm. Surprisingly, I only forgot masking tape, to make a clean horizon line, so I had to wing it with using the pallet edge as a straight edge.

I fumbled around for a while as usual, because I barely know how to mix colors, and chased the last two hours of the afternoon in frustration. Not much was working. Then it happened. The pinkish light that only happens for a short while at sunset and sunrise. And I sort of maybe got the color onto the canvas. The "golden hour". I think it's less than that.

I used a pallet knife for the whole painting, which really surprises me. I have Richard Musgrave-Evans to thank for that. Watching his vids on YT. Something about the knife makes it easier to get paint down without fuss. It encourages being loose. I have no idea how to use it so I have no expectations.

This needs some finishing, like some some whites and more structure in the clouds, and a horizon straightening, and I don't like the foreground sea, I was trying to use up all the paint on the pallet because it was getting cold and dark so I just slapped it down there.

Not the greatest painting ever but I'm pretty stoked about this plein air thing now. It was fun.

And once again, the phone camera makes things more yellow. There is not this much yellow in the clouds IRL.

Thanks for looking..and reading this long post.... suggestions?

16x20 inches

pleinair.jpg

John, it's wonderful to hear that you tried something new and had fun. I think that is the valuable outcome of this, apart from a painting that, to my eye, is lively and very attractive. I would not presume to make any suggestions at all. I predict that from now on you will never go outside without seeing your surroundings with new eyes and feeling an imaginary palette knife in your hand.

John! You did a GREAT job. This is excellent, lose, beautiful. Don't be such a skeptic. It turned out so wonderful. I wish I could do that. I don't have the guts these days.

Oh I like those. And the virtual exhibition is good news. Could you sneak one of my drawings in amongst yours? Just joking, I think? 😁

That last drawing was me at one point in my life. On a Friday. I should have listened to my instincts and not gone out - that night. One night can lead to the loss of years...

John, it's wonderful to hear that you tried something new and had fun. I think that is the valuable outcome of this, apart from a painting that, to my eye, is lively and very attractive. I would not presume to make any suggestions at all. I predict that from now on you will never go outside without seeing your surroundings with new eyes and feeling an imaginary palette knife in your hand.
Thanks Hermes. Yeah, one of the great things about getting into the painting thing is how it makes us see the world right?
John! You did a GREAT job. This is excellent, lose, beautiful. Don't be such a skeptic. It turned out so wonderful. I wish I could do that. I don't have the guts these days.
Thanks Arty. And you're right, our skepticism keeps us from trying new things. I tend to be a skeptic/cynic too often. Cynicism is the enemy of discovery. As far having the guts...having a beer while looking at the scene helps me.

Maybe you do have the guts. Maybe just get out and sketch some stuff ? Don't be a skeptic. :)
So lively is right! Wonderful knifework
Thanks ntl. I'm surprised about the knife thing. I don't think knife painting gets enough attention. And it sure makes clean up easier and simplifies things and forces a certain looseness, and it makes some great marks. It's fun also and gets a lot paint down.

John, Seeing your painting on a desktop monitor rather than on the meagre screen of a mobile phone....has blowm me away. It is wonderful!

I believe I may have had a little breakthrough in my drawing tonight. Now for a little nip. It is Christmas after all...ho ho ho.

Last edited:
Thanks Hermes. Yeah, one of the great things about getting into the painting thing is how it makes us see the world right?

Yes, I also find that when I'm in a photography stage I am much more aware of the light in a space.

John, the knife painting is wonderful! It looks so fresh.

Arty, same for the pattern pieces, I love them. What is the support? Actual pattern pieces are so fragile that I'm sure you cut them from something else, but what?

Thank you sno. :love: Those are master patterns that are made in manufacturing. They are on heavy #125 manila paper, a lot like those plain file folders you can get at the office supply store. That was my job growing up in the family business. My father worked in the sweatshops in downtown Los Angeles, and my brother and I worked with him since we were kids--hence why a lot of my art has sewn patterns in it.

If you're interested, there's an explanation of this project here: https://esart.com/artwork/projects/journal-project/.

Ah, I understand about the Master patterns. I knew you couldn't use the fragile patterns that we sewed our clothing with. :giggle: I recognize most of the pieces in the journal project because I used to sew all of my own clothing.

My mate with the van that got stuck in the underground carpark entrance...we were tasked to retrieve an old Singer sewing machine, one that was fitted to a stand, with wheels for ease of mobility. It was kind of an heirloom. Anyhow, my friend broke suddenly at the lights and the "heirloom" flew out of the back doors...

Back