What are you working on?

I completely agree with Wayne and Sno here. This "fix" is almost a gift from the art gods, it really gives the composition an interesting, almost compartmentalized look that is enhanced by the variation in values. Love it! ❤️

Your recent work has been excellent, Ayin. Between all these new pieces and your recent Dan-themed artist's book, this should be an amazing show. 👏

Somewhere here or over on Wet Canvas---I don't remember which---I posted a painting I did but managed to salvage that had goobered up paper. It was a block I had when I had covid and I had taped a border around it but I was still living in the fifth wheel where I didn't have any real good place to store the block so when I started a painting after a year of not painting on it, you'd be surprised what a mess showed up when I did start painting. I was doing a painting for my son's birthday and I didn't want to waste the page of the block, so I just punted. It came out well enough to give to him, but it was just a huge mess when I first started. I definitely empathize with you about this but hang in there and try to salvage it because you may just suprise yourself.

I kind of class the experience under one of my self-made rules----"always paint past the ugly". There always seems to come a point in my painting where I'm just totally convinced it's never, ever going to be any good. But then one time I decided to just paint on the mess some more because I didn't want to have to throw out a precious sheet of paper (that stuff ain't cheap) and I just started painting on it again. The end result was that it didn't turn out anything like what I originally had in mind at all, but ended up being one of my better paintings. So now I just put the "ugly" away and save it for when I lack inspiration for starting something new---good old artist's block we probably all face at times---I pull out the "ugly" and paint more on it. More often than not, it improves plus I'm learned valuable stuff from doing it. Even if it doesn't come out that much better, at least I tried.

Finally! Summer Break is here and I have time to put in some serious time on my artwork. I've been working on this one for the last 3 days or so. I began this some months ago... with the idea of something rooted in Rococo paintings...

Woman in Pink.jpg

Sometime before Summer Break I blocked in the hair... and immediately hated it.

Woman in Pink 2.jpg

I decided to focus on some of the details while I mulled over where I should go with the hair and the body.

Woman in Pink-detail.jpg

The painting then entered the "ugly stage". One of the biggest lessons I learned in Art School was that almost every painting has an "ugly stage" and you just need to battle through this.

Woman in Pink-Ugly.jpg

This is where it stands right now. The top half of the "halo" will eventually be covered in gold leaf... but first I need to work out details before I begin on the gold which is extremely difficult to rework if yo make a major mistake.

Woman in Pink 3.jpg

Before I do much more I need to hit the Dick Blick's near me and pick up some paints and pastels.

Interesting, SLG! I thought I saw a hint of a raised eyebrow in the first sketch. (The woman's left, or on the right-hand side of the picture.) I thought it gave a hint of mystery to her.

--Rich

Rich... I haven't touched the face outside of guidelines. My guess is that the way the hair hangs almost touching that eyebrow makes the arch less pronounced. You change one detail and it changes everything. :confused:

Another couple of days work. The hair isn't done. I'm thinking of taking it down a bit darker to increase the contrast with the background... but I never finish the hair until the face is done. Now I need to run the vacuum and suck up all the gold leaf scraps while thinking about the background. I have a couple of themes in mind... but we'll see.

Woman in Pink4B.jpg

WomaninPink6.jpg

I'll need to drop the painting down a bit to work on the top... and then raise it up before working on the torso and the rest of the bottom.

Another couple of days work. The hair isn't done. I'm thinking of taking it down a bit darker to increase the contrast with the background... but I never finish the hair until the face is done. Now I need to run the vacuum and suck up all the gold leaf scraps while thinking about the background. I have a couple of themes in mind... but we'll see.

View attachment 41493

View attachment 41494

I'll need to drop the painting down a bit to work on the top... and then raise it up before working on the torso and the rest of the bottom.
That gold leaf is exquisite! Going to be another beauty.

Thanks!

I love the way gold leaf looks. I have long been a fan of Gustav Klimt, but also was inspired by the use of gold leaf in medieval manuscripts, Japanese screen paintings, Islamic art, and early Renaissance paintings from Italy. Having said that... it is the biggest pain in the ass to use. The leaf is almost lighter than air so all fans & air conditioners must be turned off, and windows closed when applying the leaf. Before even beginning that state, I have to apply the adhesive everywhere where I want the gold... sometimes two layers. I like a bit of a "weathered" surface that shows the reddish primer beneath so I will sometimes sand it a bit the achieve this effect.

Back