What are you working on?

Thank you St. Luke, that is wonderful information. I think we all miss Musket. I do not remember his work alas, only the personality. Real gold leaf. Wow.
Your halo has started to sing. Can’t wait to see this piece all done. Your work also reminds me of the lovely Alphonse Mucha ladies.
Decorative work is beautiful. I appreciate it as well. I saw Christi Belcourt’s work in the Art Gallery of Ontario and it was striking and almost alive. Her artwork is worth checking out. She has her own website and is on Instagram.
Here is her well known piece.

bethany- Recently I went to a workshop run by a local pastel artist who uses a variety of metal leaf on paper with pastel. It was an interesting effect with the pastel. I will explore this further. Also the first time I have seen this variegated metal leaf used- she uses it a lot with her pastels. Seems I am chanelling your methods and being inspired by you! Thanks so much for the details you are sharing.
What surface are you painting on? Is it timber panel?

Thank you for the comments. I am actually working on paper with pastel as well. I prime the entire surface except for the figure with a Burnt Sienna-Tuscan Red matte acrylic. This allows me to rework areas if needed by simply painting them out. It also visually unifies the painting as the red sparkles through across the entire surface. This was a technique employed by Degas inspired by the Venetian Renaissance artists who used a reddish surface as opposed to the white of the other Impressionists.

Thank you St. Luke, that is wonderful information. I think we all miss Musket. I do not remember his work alas, only the personality. Real gold leaf. Wow.
Your halo has started to sing. Can’t wait to see this piece all done. Your work also reminds me of the lovely Alphonse Mucha ladies.
Decorative work is beautiful. I appreciate it as well. I saw Christi Belcourt’s work in the Art Gallery of Ontario and it was striking and almost alive. Her artwork is worth checking out.

PaintBoss, thanks for introducing me to Christi Belcourt. Her work is definitely of interest. Looking at the featured painting, The Wisdom of the Universe I immediately thought of the natural settings in early Renaissance paintings such as those by Botticelli:

Botticelli-primaverawiki.medium.small.jpg

... which is my absolute favorite painting, as well as Fra Angelico and many others.

1prado.editedBF2.700.jpg

I am also reminded of Persian textiles and Medieval tapestries...

419px-The_Hunt of the Unicorn_The Unicorn_in_Captivity_-7.jpg

... and Byzantine/Roman mosaics:

ba7b19e2b384a8128a387b935cfd3fb2.jpg

I'm always on the lookout for inspiring artists. ❤️

Ooohh yes, I do see the similarities! Thank you for pointing these pieces out. Gorgeous.
I am happy you like Christi’s work.🙂

I don't believe I thought ... this was a good idea. 3D. Not me? I'm up to Part 2, the construction stage one. Step 10 zillion and 1. Actually, I am enjoying it ... so many decisions, tests, regigs and more. This some of the cast trialling for a spot and just hanging around. For an exhibition piece: Film of My Life. It's x-ray film.
1000009702.jpg
1000009697.jpg
1000009700.jpg

Well, I thought I was going to have time to go back to my Discarded Snapshots series, but now I'm back to working on things for my upcoming show this coming November. There are still a lot of loose ends to finish up, as well as actual art pieces for the walls. At the moment, I've been working on a special promo piece for VIPs. It's a limited edition first aid kit that comes in a red canvas pouch with a bunch of different items inside of it. I'm making 20 of them, and it's a lot of work! It is for a special dinner that's taking place in the gallery during the first week of the show.

The dinner invitation is on a Campbell's chicken soup can, which is inside the pouch, along with many other "healing" items, many of them customized and/or handmade. There are lots of detailed things, almost too many to mention. Right now, I'm making little origami wallets with folded affirmations inside, which will be placed in a little tin along with custom bandaids and antiseptic wipes. :ROFLMAO:

affirmations.jpg

wallet.jpg

That's brilliant and funny Ayin. I must admit that at first I wondered about the spelling of breathe so I looked it up. You have it right! LOL I think my spelling is getting worse as I get older and it was never that great to begin with. LOL

But I choose gratitude. :) Very nice idea.

I don't believe I thought ... this was a good idea. 3D. Not me? I'm up to Part 2, the construction stage one. Step 10 zillion and 1. Actually, I am enjoying it ... so many decisions, tests, regigs and more. This some of the cast trialling for a spot and just hanging around. For an exhibition piece: Film of My Life. It's x-ray film.View attachment 42245View attachment 42246View attachment 42247
Next stage readyish for sharing. Each item has 3 or 4, I know, layers. Top layer is x-ray film sitting on a transparent layer. Just a sample. Not great because of reflections.
1000010012.jpg
1000009998.jpg
1000010005.jpg
1000009993.jpg
1000010011.jpg

I find your work always intriguing Arty. Well you are making a good job of it with all the aspects that you have to create. Looking good!
Where do you get x-ray film? And why did you choose it particularly? Or was it a case that you had access to it and you found a good use for it?

I find your work always intriguing Arty. Well you are making a good job of it with all the aspects that you have to create. Looking good!
Where do you get x-ray film? And why did you choose it particularly? Or was it a case that you had access to it and you found a good use for it?
I have probably messed up my post. I'm using the x-ray film. It's part of the story for the pieces. As we say over here ... I have bucket loads of the stuff.

I love those pieces JennieJo, even if they are just samples. They are so unique and special. I've never seen anything like them. ♥️

Of course I do! Man we had so many hours of playing those on the school bus coming home. We made them and had a great old time with what to put inside them!

Back