What are you working on?

I am working on four things at the same time. Sometimes having too many ideas is as frustrating as having a creative block, but I am feeling surprisingly upbeat at the moment.

1. A 300mm concrete sphere with a cut out portion and heavy experimental texturing. This is to use up some rapid set concrete left over after I finished my bird feeder.

2. A painting with copper wire grids on a dark band over a weathered and faded background.

3. A small (400 x 315mm) painting of rust-coloured blobs on an almost black background.

4. This one is just tentative. I am at the beginning of developing a brightly coloured painting inspired by the work of Victor Pasmore. This was set off by my fascination with Voronoi diagrams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voronoi_diagram

I am thinking of showing the Voronoi seeds as dots on top of rounded off, organic Voronoi tiles.

I shall post updates on developments in the relevant Forums.

Last edited:
I'm trying out quick landscape sketches this week. I'm doing some survey work in a forest, and it involves going to a series of set locations, so I'm doing a very quick sketch when I get to each point. Today's attempts - they are mainly trees, twigs on the ground, and sign posts:

1000014294.jpg

1000014293.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but it's fun.

A family member triggered an idea. These are the result. Digital frames to display online. I have always avoided doing this, but am thinking it might be useful before speaking to a framer. Does anyone else create framed samples?
1000005298-01.jpeg
1000005299-01.jpeg
1000005300-01.jpeg
1000005301-01.jpeg
1000005304-01.jpeg

I’m on my fourth orange fluorescent painting and I THINK I’m getting the hang - more or less - on how to handle the color. They’re still not quite there and a little stupid of course, but it’s something different for me and so…fun. I have two more to do, in a size in between these two shown. They’ll both be more “inside house scenes” with the little Ernst Haeckel tidbits. After that, I’ll move to some “outside family scenes” with a different fluorescent…maybe blue or green. I’ll drop the EH tidbits but wish I could make small little burn holes into the canvas. Why? Who knows!? But I still have time to ponder and come up with THAT solution…

Sneaking Suspicion is the background, and Over the Moon is in the foreground, and the titles are all going to be idioms. I just pulled the tape off the small one and I see it’s jaggedly and sloppy and now I have to decide if I want to bother cleaning it up or letting it show the slop in all its glory.

Ahhhh. Ain't creativity grand?
IMG_5679.jpeg

Wonderful and fun as usual Kim. With just a hint of weird to keep it from being cutesy. I have no idea how you do it. Literally. I can't even tell what the medium is. Aside from the great ideas, such control.

I think the roughness at the edge is fine, maybe better than a perfect one. Shows a human was involved.

I keep looking at my almost finished painting.

Had to attend a birthday party at an open-air restaurant yesterday. Bored as I usually am at such occasions, I wandered around a bit, grabbed some of the copious autumn foliage, and started scribbling with ballpoint pen and colored pencil - good thing I usually take sketching equipment along to such events... :)

2024 Autumn leaves 0428_150907.jpg

Loving everyone's ideas and works in progress!!! I'm inspired! I've been both working on art (mostly all the projects I've mentioned before) and trying to get my barings together in life in general. Feeling overwhelmed lately. :rolleyes:

Loving everyone's ideas and works in progress!!! I'm inspired! I've been both working on art (mostly all the projects I've mentioned before) and trying to get my barings together in life in general. Feeling overwhelmed lately. :rolleyes:
It is a great collection. Hope you get there

Last night I started playing with ideas for a book I will most likely never finish. I have a book to record memories from interactions with the Aussies medical system. The Magical Medical World has had many formats. This is the latest. "That's going in the book" is a family joke now. When appropriate I share the concept with the medical staff. Never in a bad way.

All true. Direct wuuotesare accurate. 😧
1000005711-05.jpeg
1000005716-01.jpeg

I’m on my fourth orange fluorescent painting and I THINK I’m getting the hang - more or less - on how to handle the color. They’re still not quite there and a little stupid of course, but it’s something different for me and so…fun. I have two more to do, in a size in between these two shown. They’ll both be more “inside house scenes” with the little Ernst Haeckel tidbits. After that, I’ll move to some “outside family scenes” with a different fluorescent…maybe blue or green. I’ll drop the EH tidbits but wish I could make small little burn holes into the canvas. Why? Who knows!? But I still have time to ponder and come up with THAT solution…

Sneaking Suspicion is the background, and Over the Moon is in the foreground, and the titles are all going to be idioms. I just pulled the tape off the small one and I see it’s jaggedly and sloppy and now I have to decide if I want to bother cleaning it up or letting it show the slop in all its glory.

Ahhhh. Ain't creativity grand? View attachment 40246
Awesome stuff - these are great! ❤️ I love these palettes and the variety of expressions.

Last night I started playing with ideas for a book I will most likely never finish. I have a book to record memories from interactions with the Aussies medical system. The Magical Medical World has had many formats. This is the latest. "That's going in the book" is a family joke now. When appropriate I share the concept with the medical staff. Never in a bad way.

View attachment 40318View attachment 40319
This is a fascinating project! I'm only sorry you had to live through this to get all these quotes.

This is a fascinating project! I'm only sorry you had to live through this to get all these quotes.
Just lucky they don't really settle on me ... I just let them float on by. Glad I'm not them. But the idea of a book is somehow very appealing. The anaethesist was a doozy though. Still makes me smile. Hope it was just an odd bad day for him, not a reflection of his life.

View attachment 40318View attachment 40319
I don't mean to laugh, but I do only because I've been there. I think you should definitely make this book! So many people will relate!!!! ♥️

I don't mean to laugh, but I do only because I've been there. I think you should definitely make this book! So many people will relate!!!! ♥️
So funny, eh! When you can really connect. I have a million stories. I am being seriously temped to create the book. Can find an image for this one .... Sorry, the operation has failed. I didn't finish the last stitch correctly. True.

My latest project I'm working on is waiting for me to start. I've been moving so I haven't painted anything yet on this project because I'm too busy sorting and putting stuff away, but I've got my materials all ready and waiting for me to have the time.

I've used Bee loose pages for several years now but never tried their 100% cotton sketchbooks because when I've had the money, Amazon was always sold out of them. I finally got lucky and found them in stock so I bought the 8 1/2 x 11 and a smaller one 5.5 x 8 and can't wait to try them out.

I also found a new listing for Fuumuui 100% cotton paper blocks so I bought the 9x12 size and the 5x7 size.

My first project will be to try out the smaller block and sketchbook. My new place sits right on the bank of the large creek (actually more like a small river) where I have a wonderful back yard to sit in next to it so I have a perfect view to paint from. Also, I'm much closer to the osprey nest across the creek. I might have sneaked out for a painting session even during moving except that it's been pouring down rain the past several days and that's not my idea of a joyous "wet on wet" painting experience. I'll wait till there's a sunny day.

Back