What are you up to?

Hi Kay…yes, they use prickly pear cactus in cooking. I only had it once in a skeevy saloon place with guns and taxidermy on the walls. I thought it was guacamole (was green and served with nachos) but it had rubbery hard chunks and looked strange. That’s when I realized it was something gross and made from cactus. But…I have to imagine it can taste better if it was made by a much better cook. This was NOT a fine-dining establishment.

Oh PB…I’m so sorry for the medical issues and hope things turn around for you. All of that just…sucks. But I admire your determination and you seem to be in good spirits. True? If it was me, I know I would be whining and bitching and hissing up a storm.

Brian…although ABQ leaves something to be desired, being in NM is great. Now YOU seem to come across animals all the time but I think ours hide during the day…maybe to get away from the heat and predators. That’s why it was so exciting to see one lone little jackrabbit.

—————————

But guess what? I saw my first rattlesnake a few weeks ago! Weirdly, it wasn’t on any nature walk. It was a few blocks away in my cookie-cutter neighborhood, sitting at the edge of a cement driveway. He was copper-colored with black diamond markings but I walked right past him. I was alone, talking to myself (I’m sure), with my head down and thinking about all the (huge!) dead millipedes on the ground. A guy on a bike rode by, but then turned around, pointed behind me and said, “There’s a rattlesnake.” Me: “Is it dead?” He: “No, it’s alive….just chillin.” Now I remembered reading that they can leap/wriggle/dart the length of their body in an instant. I calculated I was about 12 feet away and so with two quick snake movements, he could attack me and I would die. I knew I couldn’t run away (those days are long gone) so I said, “Well, I’ll just let him do his thing and will mosey along.” Like a good little cowgirl.

Brian…although ABQ leaves something to be desired, being in NM is great. Now YOU seem to come across animals all the time but I think ours hide during the day…maybe to get away from the heat and predators. That’s why it was so exciting to see one lone little jackrabbit.

I suppose there may be fewer animals, but the desert itself is rather beautiful.

—————————

But guess what? I saw my first rattlesnake a few weeks ago! Weirdly, it wasn’t on any nature walk. It was a few blocks away in my cookie-cutter neighborhood, sitting at the edge of a cement driveway. He was copper-colored with black diamond markings but I walked right past him. I was alone, talking to myself (I’m sure), with my head down and thinking about all the (huge!) dead millipedes on the ground. A guy on a bike rode by, but then turned around, pointed behind me and said, “There’s a rattlesnake.” Me: “Is it dead?” He: “No, it’s alive….just chillin.” Now I remembered reading that they can leap/wriggle/dart the length of their body in an instant. I calculated I was about 12 feet away and so with two quick snake movements, he could attack me and I would die. I knew I couldn’t run away (those days are long gone) so I said, “Well, I’ll just let him do his thing and will mosey along.” Like a good little cowgirl.

Snakes will generally not go out of their way to attack people. And I would guess that if you got close enough that it began to feel threatened, it would start to rattle and you would hear it. Or so we hope: I'm told in areas where rattlers are persecuted, they have now evolved into forms less likely to rattle.

In the meantime, as often happens, I woke up very early, and checking the online news, saw that there was a partial eclipse of the moon predicted for, er, Tuesday. Fat lot of good that does me on Wednesday morning, I thought. But when I went for my morning walk around 4 am, there was still a bit of shadow on the moon, and indeed, it was still there by 5 am when I returned home, so I took a quick photo:

2024 Partial eclipse, 18-9-2024.JPG

Bit blurry because of the low light, but it captured the deep orange color - this is the kind of moon one hopes for on Halloween. :)

I'm currently exploring Paris

The Olympic flame is gone but the orb is still there, not far from the Louvre
View attachment 43313

View attachment 43314

View attachment 43315

The Arc de Triomphe still carries the Paralympic symbol

View attachment 43316

Liberty
View attachment 43317

Very neat trees in the Jardin du Luxembourg
View attachment 43318

View attachment 43319

Sacre Cœur - a lot of steps but worth it
View attachment 43320

View attachment 43321
Gee! Not only did they take their statue back (Liberty), they also grabbed the Unisphere from the '65 World's Fair! 😂🤣😂🤣

Back