What are you up to?

I see we're posting our "fur babies" again... so I need to participate. We have 2 pups, Raphael, who is the smaller dog... a mix of Dachshund, Jack Russell, and Chihuahua, and Pepper who is a mixed breed hound with traits from the Grayhound.

unnamed (5).jpg

The two pups are inseparable...

unnamed (7).jpg

Although we got Pepper first (they are both rescue dogs) Raphie is actually about 5 months older than Pepper.

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed.jpg

For whatever reason, we have a good deal more pictures of Raphael. I think in part this is due to the fact that he almost seems to enjoy posing for photographs...

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

I've read that a dog's habit of grabbing a stick... or sock or slipper... when you first come home is something akin to the stimming behavior you might see in Autistic children... an action used to distract themselves when overly excited.

Raphael also tends to follow me about everywhere. When I sit down to take a break while working on a painting he'll stand in front of me until I finally let him up on my lap.

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

When I was forced to abandon my long-term studio and start working in a spare room at home, Raphael would repeatedly come into the room... look around trying to figure out what I was doing... and then start barking at me to stop and pay attention to him.

3.jpg

2.jpg

View attachment 42382

I've read that a dog's habit of grabbing a stick... or sock or slipper... when you first come home is something akin to the stimming behavior you might see in Autistic children... an action used to distract themselves when overly excited.

My landlady's one Maltese has that same thing: when she's excited, she frantically runs around looking for something to chew, and almost anything will do. And if she really cannot find something, she chews my ear. :)

Been strolling around in my local nature area again....

20240804_100804.jpg

When people see this kind of thing they think drought, disaster, famine, little starving African kids with flies crawling over them, and so on. But no, it's a normal part of our seasonal cycles here. Our winters are bone dry - we haven't had a drop of rain since April or thereabouts, and I do not expect any until October.

Many people here find it depressing, but to me, this dry, dusty landscape has a unique charm, and I like the warm, earthy colors.

20240804_100939.jpg

Outside of parks like this, wildfires are very common this time of year, and their aroma always reminds me of my rural youth. Like clockwork, we would get home from school only to have to go help put out a fire somewhere!

DSC_1691.JPG

DSC_1692.JPG

DSC_1741.JPG

And some birdies:

Fiscal shrike:

DSC_1669.JPG

Red-headed finch male:

DSC_1701.JPG

Red-eyed dove:

DSC_1704.JPG

Fiscal flycatcher on the park's fence:

DSC_1714.JPG

Grey go-away bird in flight:

DSC_1734.JPG

Wild canary:

DSC_1743.JPG

Black-eyed bulbul in flight:

DSC_1736.JPG

The park is unfortunately also home to a population of feral cats:

DSC_1678.JPG

DSC_1737.JPG

Y’all like animal photos :) I have a year pass to aquarium!! Here’s some from this afternoon, I walk through the aquarium often, it is a great place, besides the lady bouncer at the entrance who demands IDs along with our passes!!
View attachment 42695View attachment 42696View attachment 42697View attachment 42700View attachment 42698View attachment 42699
View attachment 42701View attachment 42702View attachment 42703View attachment 42704View attachment 42705View attachment 42706

Aquariums always have a quiet, cool, meditative feel about them. Might be nice to sit there and sketch the aquatic life. :)

That goose you've posted is in much better shape than one of the geese around here. I read this morning that the people in the other little community across the highway from us lost a few chickens and the cougar took a 20 lb. goose as well. Cougars don't eat every single thing they kill. Sometimes they get goats or sheep but will leave dead or wounded poultry and people's small pets as collateral damage.

I'm currently exploring Paris

The Olympic flame is gone but the orb is still there, not far from the Louvre
1000016740.jpg

1000016737.jpg

1000016739.jpg

The Arc de Triomphe still carries the Paralympic symbol

1000016767.jpg

Liberty
1000016708.jpg

Very neat trees in the Jardin du Luxembourg
1000016728.jpg

1000016729.jpg

Sacre Cœur - a lot of steps but worth it
1000016760.jpg

1000016757.jpg

Brian, yes…I like all YOUR “brown” things and the “dry and dusty” landscape, too. Well…duh. I think the beauty in these places are usually more subtle and so can be overlooked. I know they’re not for everyone.

And hooray to Mississippi’s sea horses and slippery dicks (!), Herme at the park with his geese buds, Dave’s field of sunflowers (amazing) and….Kay in Paris! Just smiling for all the NICE things in the world.

I like this thread. 👏🏼
Still my favorite.

But no offense to the others….(gulp).

Back