What are you Reading?

musket

Entangled Life, by Merlin Sheldrake. For the second time--it requires concentration.

Here's a post-pandemic article about it I came across by accident.

Entangled Life

OliveOyl

I just read your link. ^

Pretty interesting and yes, the whole conversation required some focus and concentration from me, but still, I liked the gist of it. I like the idea of how these teeny things fuse and branch and mesh and interconnect and just...live on and among and within. Are they the truest of all survivors?

I don’t think I’d ever read the book though, because it might be too hard for me, but I can see it being a very “Musket kind of book.” Also, lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about the weblike network of stuff over our muscles. What’s it called? Had to google and oh yeah...I’m thinking of fascia! This was actually in back of mind as I was reading your link and it made me wonder if, and how, fascia is similar to fungi.

Yep, that’s what I wondered.

But the fascia over my brain is way too shrunken, knotted, and dried up these days to figure it out.
I suppose I’m a lesser human than fungi.

musket

The truest survivors of all are bacteria. Parts of the book (I didn't mean the article) require concentration, but much of it doesn't. Mostly, it's astonishing, a real eye opener about how the world really works.

Dave Woody

I am fascinated with Charles Darwin's 'Voyage Of The Beagle' journal.
The 5 years of world exploration he documented is priceless.

Scientific knowledge is one thing, being able to write it descriptively is a talent in itself.....
Here is a quote from the book of him describing experiencing an earthquake.

Chapter XVI (edited by me)

An earthquake at once destroys the oldest associations: the world, the very
emblem of all that is solid, has moved beneath our feet like a crust over a fluid;
one second of time has conveyed to the mind a strange idea of insecurity, which hours of reflection
would never have created.

Dave Woody

Charles Darwin Voyage of the Beagle
It is a dream of mine to one day film/document his same voyage, in the present day.

Details of the modern people, habitats, landscapes, forna and flora would be interesting.
In 1836 he arrived in Sydney....a population of 23,000.