Welcome to Creative Spark! Please read this. [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I'd necessarily say fuck Wet Canvas, but it's important to us that there's a distinction between us and them.

(I guess I just inadvertently demonstrated a distinction. ;))

Hannah, if we only did what’s “necessary” where would we be??

I hear you. But I don't have any personal antagonism against Wet Canvas because I never used it.

The issue here isn't Wet Canvas itself, it's just making it clear that we aren't here to replicate Wet Canvas. Or any other forum.

If someone is interested in replicating Wet Canvas they can do the same thing we did and start their own forum. That would be cool. Competition is good for everyone.

Hannah, I grasped perfectly what you said in the first place. I’m with you on this issue. Hey, you know it.

Please see my reply to Arty in the Petsworth thread.

I support what you say 100%.

I hear you. But I don't have any personal antagonism against Wet Canvas because I never used it.

The issue here isn't Wet Canvas itself, it's just making it clear that we aren't here to replicate Wet Canvas. Or any other forum.

If someone is interested in replicating Wet Canvas they can do the same thing we did and start their own forum. That would be cool. Competition is good for everyone.
Hey Arty -

I don,t mind being singled out for this discussion as it will probably benefit everyone in the long run, but will undoubtedly bruise some feelings along the way.

It seems to me that there is a lot of nostalgia expressed by many for WC that I find sort of out of place. There are even tones of invidious comparison, with CS being cast as an inferior substitute for WC. That I find is offensive.

There is also a kind of tendency to transplant or replicate exactly certain practices or social ‘games’ from WC with participants who are ‘in the know’ based on their WC experience. That is perfectly understandable as a normal human disposition, but some of the ‘insider’ references give me a feeling of not belonging to a ‘fraternity’ and of being ‘barbarian’ or a member of the great unwashed.(which I am). Probably just me.

In all fairness, you cannot fault a person for greeting a friend with a reference to the the last time they were together, and for that reason I have not said anything up to now, giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming best of intentions.

Were I not singled out, I would continue with my attitude of letting people do what they like as long as they don’t bother me, and I would just interact with the friends I already have here on CS and hope I can make more of a like mind. Live and let live’, but tempered by ‘don’t tread on me’.
My objective here on CS is to learn and share the techniques, creation, understanding and appreciation of art. The making of friends is wonderful, but not the main objective.

As far as the instant case of my message to Arnie, I was merely trying to let him know that I remembered his work and admired it. The fact that it involved WC was a necessary evil and seemed to be a prevalent thing here on CS.

I am sure you understood that my motives were entirely well intentioned.
I regard and value CS as an experience far better than I received on WC and look forward to it getting even better.
I would prefer not to see people put so much emphasis on former WC participation, but that’s just me.

I hope this clears the air a bit.
Regards,

I can totally see why the frequent mentions of WC would drive you nuts, but please don't think people want to recreate that here. Maybe a few do, but I honestly don't believe that is the case for most people. I'm just pleased to be here, participating in something new, and I think that's true for most of us.

I can definitely explain why people mention it when introducing themselves though, and it's honestly nothing at all to do with the actual sites or how they are run.

It's purely social instinct. It's like arriving at a party alone and feeling awkward. We all want to meet new people too, but it's human instinct to look for people you know first.

I've changed my user name and have never used a photo of me as avatar, so if I hadn't mentioned WC nobody would know it's the same person they've been chatting to for 10 years, which would be really weird.

It would also make me feel uneasy, like I was being dishonest in some way, or misleading people who actually already know me. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

But even for people who haven't changed their user name, it's just a natural thing to do. Even if we'd all come here on recommendation from a non-related site like a camping or cooking forum, it would be exactly the same ('Hi. I'm another one you might know from Cooking World' or whatever). It's just what people naturally do.

I hope that gives some insight from this side of the fence! I honestly don't think it means anything. People are just behaving in normal social ways.

This post by Hannah should have been locked the moment after she posted it. I think that's what she meant to do because now, with others making their comments on this thread, it might look as though our views on this are open to change, and they are just not.

It's fine that people feel they want to explain themselves about how it's only natural to want to mention Wet Canvas, but that's not what or why this post was put here. The constant mention of their site is an irritant and exclusionary. If people don't see that, I'm sorry, but it's just true. Saying "hi" to your friends is one thing. That's not the point of this. If you don't see the different in saying hi to a friend you knew from your old school and using constant reference to it, then you probably aren't getting the point.

I'm personally finished with explaining what the difference is in the need to say hello to old friends, and behaving in a way that excludes everyone else you might be talking to.

Also, what on earth is the purpose in talking about how you posted something somewhere else (WC) before you post it here??? Do you do that if you've posted an image on Facebook or Instagram or anywhere else the web prior to posting it here? It's just another point.

The original post here was supposed to be a stickied announcement for people who are first arriving in the welcome forum. Its purpose is to help people integrate into the site a bit before introducing themselves. It's not a discussion. For this reason, I'm going to lock the thread.

This whole thing has been difficult for us to manage thus far, so I thank you for understanding.

PS: We do not think anyone has had any bad intentions with anything that's been said. This is just something we feel we need to keep nipping in the bud. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back