Weekly Art Event - Nov. 5, 2021

Looking good so far Michael! Looking forward to updates.

Thank you for commenting on my picture. :)

As I've been a Pastel Artist for many years, lately I've been experimenting with PanPastels and Pen & Ink on Watercolor paper. It's a bit tricky because watecolor paper hasn't a lot of tooth, but here's my "Vessel" painting.
Creative Spark WAE - vessel.jpg

Off to a good start Mike. You just have to tell everyone that it's an intentional crop so she wasn't right in the center! I look forward to seeing it progress. ;)

I haven't tried that paper so I can't help you there.

Thanks for participating this week.
she wasn't suppose to be in the center but she moved too far right! i think i'll just cut 1/2 inch off the left side and make a 4 x 6" postcard instead of 4 1/2 x 6" :)

Kay,,, those flowers are lovely!

Vivien... your boat is awesome! mixing pan pastels and ink sounds like a worthy experiment. i've done similar with watercolor and charcoal. strategic application of a workable fixative may help you get more tooth. :)

Last edited:
Lol Mike - I think we all fall into that trap at times! I certainly do! I also think small scale is much more difficult than larger size!
Your drawings are always good though - just like this start - no doubt it will all come together - I have faith! (y)
;)

Kay - that's a very pretty miniature!

Viv - now that's just the boat my pirate could have done with - wide and floating!(y)
;)

Vivien: Lovely boat. It's fun experimenting with different mediums once in a while. I like the subltle change in color on the inside of the boat.

Kay: Gorgeous mums. I like how you captured the transparency of the jar in this adorable little painting.

Mike: I like your solution to change it to a postcard!

Christel: Lovely painting. You can absolutely use the same painting for two challenges!

Thanks to all of you for participating this week.

Viv - I love your boat. Really nice colours and I like the ink lines too.

Kay - Lovely cheerful flowers!

Christel - nice little scene.

I decided to do a little experimenting with different settings in Artrage digital painting software. Neither of these are the way I normally work but I thought I would see what happened. Both use the same underlying sketch.

This first one is "pen and ink" over "pastel" with the default "paper" that is fairly smooth. It has a very illustration look.
20211106D Moroccan Fishing Boat (Pixabay).jpg

I kept with the same "paper" but changed to "oil."

20211108D Moroccan Fishing Boat-oil (Pixabay).jpg

The default paper is much smoother that I normally use so it behaved as if I had much more paint on the surface. The colors pushed around much more than I am used to. I usually use "Essential Canvas" for the surface so the paint doesn't blend nearly as much. It's quite amazing how different the painting experience can feel when some of these settings are changed. I think my preference is still the way that I normally paint but these were fun to play with.

My reference photo was a Morocco Fishing Boat from Pixabay.

What a neat vessel you painted. I have to wonder what the cargo is.........:unsure:

Nice feeling of movement in the water.

I have found Yupo to be quite a challenge but it works well for you.

Glad you enjoyed participating and I would love to see another one if you decide to do it.

Anne - I like your two versions of the boat, and how different they both look. I'm not sure which is my favourite.

Tanja - good work on the colourful container ship. I like the effects you get with yupo.

Reactions: ams
Michael - Thank you so much! I like your portrait and will look forward to seeing it finished.

Maureen - Aha, I thought that too!

Christel - Lovely bowl!

Kay M - Thank you and I loved your paper boat!

Anne - Thank you. A very interesting Artrage Challenge, using the same ref, with different mediums. Your Pen & Watercolor looks just like my actual Pen & Panpastels version! and I like the Oil version too! Amazing what you can do with Artrage! I love them both. Thank you for hosting this first Weekly Art Event!

Tanja - Lovely watercolor of the boat!

Christel … nothing wrong with a ‘twofer’! Nice crop of that ref from the other challenge.

Tanja … a container ship? Nice! …. Yupo does it’s own thing … you’ve done well with this!

Anne, interesting experiment …. I thought the first was watercolour!

Thanks Kay M and Kay for your comments.

Penny, this is great. I was wondering if someone would do this version of "vessel." :)
I didn't do inktober this year so I didn't realize that "vessel" was one of the prompts. :oops:

Thanks for participating.
You are welcome, Anne.

I take it there will be a new prompt each Friday?

I’ve enjoyed seeing everyone’s entries, all so individual.

I wish I could participate, or at least comment on more, but I am struggling with another painting.

Penny, we think alike - it must be sharing a birthday! I was going to do blood vessels, but did not want to be too gory. Nice job.

I take it there will be a new prompt each Friday?
Yes, there will be a new prompt each Friday. If you would like to host a week, you can sign up here. Glad you are enjoying the entries.

Joy, glad you had time to take a peak even if you won't be able to participate this week. There will be other weeks!

Vivien, thanks for the comments. I'm glad you are enjoying the week.

Back