Monthly Art Prompts - December 2023

Here's my Veggies. Ink & Watercolor in XL Mixed Media sketchbook, about 4" x 6".

View attachment 37033
This is beautiful, Anne!

I'm curious - do you ever have any issues with that Canson XLMixed Media sketchbook when you do watercolor? The pages on mine always buckle and warp, and it's kind of distracting to say the least.

Reactions: ams
Thanks Terri.

I do have some issues with Canson XL Mixed Media. I don't have too much problem with buckle and warp because I don't use a lot of water but I do have problems if I try to add layers. If I'm not careful, I end up picking up color instead of laying more down. I have found that it has to be TOTALLY dry, then add a new layer and let it dry again.

I know its limitations and work within them. If I want a different effect, I use different paper.

Fire And Ice, one of my favorite abstracts. Inspired by Ragnarok, Norse legend of end times by ice and fire. Cheery and very seasonal because it's 17F/-8C outside tonight in northern New York, colder tomorrow. But fire in the furnace. Acrylics on 9x12" canvas board, squeegee card, brush and knife. 2021. C&C welcome.

View attachment 36945
the drama and harsh contrast make this painting scary looking, pretty cool

the drama and harsh contrast make this painting scary looking, pretty cool
Thanks Puapka! Interesting that you see scary, I wasn't necessarily going for that. Drama, yes. Mostly when I start an abstract, I start with a beginners mind and see where it goes.

Mississippi (I always have liked typing and spelling that!) I like the updated richer colors in the abstract. Cool veggies, I like corn the best!

Zen, the Fire and Ice tells a good story. Lovin' it.

Anne, your veggies come to life on the paper. Well done!

Thanks Terri.

I do have some issues with Canson XL Mixed Media. I don't have too much problem with buckle and warp because I don't use a lot of water but I do have problems if I try to add layers. If I'm not careful, I end up picking up color instead of laying more down. I have found that it has to be TOTALLY dry, then add a new layer and let it dry again.

I know its limitations and work within them. If I want a different effect, I use different paper.
That's interesting and helpful. I'm likely using too much water. Thanks Anne! :)

Mississippi (I always have liked typing and spelling that!) I like the updated richer colors in the abstract. Cool veggies, I like corn the best!

Zen, the Fire and Ice tells a good story. Lovin' it.

Anne, your veggies come to life on the paper. Well done!
I’m happy I could improve it.. makes me think adding layers would help more.. the corn is the best to me, too

I managed to finish two more. Both are in my 5"x7" XL Mixed Media sketchbook using ink and watercolor.

The first one is my attempt at "abstract." I really don't know anything about doing an abstract painting so I did a "scribble" and then tried to make something out of it. I thought I saw a cat there but I think I ended up with a creature from outer space. :eek: It was fun though.

20231211Sk9 Scribble Abstract (MAP-CS).png

This second one was much more my thing. We had a power outage yesterday so I did this from my imagination. I love sunflowers so they were elected as the subject! This will be my "artists choice."

20231212Sk9 Sunflowers (MAP-CS).png

Thanks for the prompts this month Mississipp. I hope there are some more participants but it's a very busy time of year for a lot of people so we'll see.

I do some zentangle type doodles and call them Joodles (Jo-doodles). I usually do them with a fine line pen but thought one might do for the abstract. Put coffee on the page, then doodled with a Prismacolor chisel pen. I like to look at some abstract paintings but never enough interest to try some. It looks different from different angles.

cs-abstract.jpg

Anne - both are amazing… I love the sunflowers and the abstract is so nice it’s hard to pick a favorite

Jo- that’s cool! I like the style..

1 is braking bad versus Godzilla,years ago I saw Godzilla films because the same leading actor was in them

Beautiful image Zen. We have wild deer and turkeys in our backyard too but I'm not much of a photographer.

Mine are North East US too. They seem to be very plentiful in that part of the country. Now if they would just leave our shrubs alone.....

Back