Weekly Art Event - Nov. 5, 2021

Anne - I love the bowls. Lovely shading. I would never guess this was digital.

16ga - that's great, it doesn't look as though you've never used pastels before. Great colours and transparency to the glass.

To start with I was going to do a picture of my favourite fishing boat, but it's a very complicated thing, and my photo of it in the harbour doesn't really do it justice ... so I decided to simplify it by turning it into a paper boat and putting it out to sea. I started by learning how to make a paper boat so I could draw that from life, gave it the colours of the actual boat from my photo, and made up the waves after looking at many images of stormy seas.

It's Unipin fineliner (0.4, my favourite) and Promarkers on Bristol board (my least favourite), size A4. All told, it took a good few hours. But at least now I now know how to make paper boats!

20211105_235906.jpg

Kay, thanks for your comment on my bowls.

The story of your boat is fantastic. What an interesting creative process you went through. I love the results. That's quite a fancy paper boat too, way beyond anything I ever made! A delightful painting and a delightful story.

Thanks for participating this week.

Great bottle. Good work on your first pastel on pastel paper. You captured the look of transparent glass well.

Thanks. No promises but if I have time I may try to do this in oils yet.
16ga - that's great, it doesn't look as though you've never used pastels before. Great colours and transparency to the glass.
Thank you but its only my first one on real pastel paper. I did a few others on cheap computer paper and note cards.
And great job with the boat.

Maureen - Great fun, and very creative! I really like the variety of effects you've used with the brush pens, too.

ams - Love the stylish, minimal way you've used the digital charcoal - that, and the composition, make for a very striking image.

16ga - Hope you enjoyed working on the pastel paper - I like the texture that shows through. Good choice of the green bottle to make the most of the shades you have available, and you did a lovely job capturing the look of glass.

Triduana - Love the fantastic colours on your paper boat and the wonderful, stormy waves - such a fun idea!

Quick sketch from me of my murky, gungy turps jar. Pastels, A1. I'll see if I can find something a bit more attractive to draw before the end of the week!

vesselcs.jpg

Nice glassy bottle 16Ga (y) ........ sure it was mint sauce and not vino? :ROFLMAO:

Kay - funny you should mention paper boats - snap! Love your very stylish number though - nice treatment overall.

Triss - I love quick, sketchy drawings of loved objects - so fresh and vital. Nice work!

Last edited:
triss, lovely sketch of the bottle. Good job getting the roundness in the cap and the liquid inside.

Thanks for your comments on my bowls.

Just a quick 30 minute sketch in Artrage digital ink and pastel. I used a "canvas" surface to give some texture but the downside is that I can't get good deep darks because so much of the canvas texture remains white. If I try this combination of ink and pastel again, I'll use a different "surface" and see if that works better for my dark values.

20211105D Planters.jpg

This is very pretty Anne! I like how you've used the ink to pick out the flowers. :)

Reactions: ams
A neat post-Halloween scare for us, Maureen, love this!
Anne, your three bowls are soft and lovely; a simple subject and simple design yielded great results. I like your flowers in the bucket baskets, too.
16ga, your pastel glass looks so transparent, and I enjoy the green color.

Thanks Kay M and Kay for your comments.

Penny, this is great. I was wondering if someone would do this version of "vessel." :)
I didn't do inktober this year so I didn't realize that "vessel" was one of the prompts. :oops:

Thanks for participating.

Maureen... lol that's great! not the vessel the pirate was hoping for! :LOL:

Anne... well done! love your flower pots too! i don't think i'll ever get the hang of digi painting.

16ga... that's what these kind of challenges are about. trying new things. :)

Kay M ... that boat is super cool! hope its made of 3 ply paper. looks like stormy seas! :LOL:

Triss... grungy is good. i like the sketchiness of your jar!

Penny... nicely done! i never would have thought of blood vessels!

this is what i've got after 2 hours. this drawing is tougher than i thought, but isn't that always the way? :rolleyes: its going to be ink and watercolor eventually. not too happy with it so far. i should have used a simple grid to place her on the card better. this stage... graphite on 4.5 x 6" w/c Master's Choice 140 lb hot press w/c paper. this is the first time i've used this paper. has anyone else tried it?

wae- wip1.jpg

Off to a good start Mike. You just have to tell everyone that it's an intentional crop so she wasn't right in the center! I look forward to seeing it progress. ;)

I haven't tried that paper so I can't help you there.

Back