Monthly Art Prompts - December 2023

Artists Choice - Holiday ornaments.
Two oldies, digital photograph and quick ink marker sketch:

1703248012816.jpeg

1703247355293.jpeg

I wish I could comment on all.
Anne, I really enjoy the veggies! Lovely composition. You can use the Canson XL well b/c you are talented (and decisive enough) to paint in one layer. Terri, I use a lot of water and really hate that paper. I will probably use it for ink drawings.
MH, Zen, the abstracts are really appreciated, as I don't know much about that type of painting.
Zen, we have an abundance of deer here in Western PA, and I see them all of the time.

The abstracts made me think of one of the first things I ever did when I was in art class in high school, nearly half a century ago. The original may be in my attic, but I have a photo of the "abstract" piece, complete with the chipped painted frame that likely got banged up in a move. My initials and the year are in the bottom corner (JK '75). Possibly we were to design a piece with one color, plus black/white. The influence of the psychedelic seventies seems obvious in hindsight. So, thanks for the memories, as I have not thought about this in years!

IMG_3268.jpeg

Create some art that is inspired by any of this month's prompts. Let your imagination soar. Turn on your creative juices.

All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be something done quickly, a finished work of art or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, from life or a photo reference. If you use a photo reference, please make sure it has no applicable copyright restrictions.

Here are the prompts for December. Have fun interpreting them.

Abstract
Vegetable
Artist Choice

Post your finished (or unfinished) art in this thread. Post any time during the month, as many times as you would like.
Tell us a little about the work if you so desire. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. When you post, it's always nice to "like" or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

For help in finding reference images online, click on the link: Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
If you have copyright-free images that go along with the prompts that you would like to share, you can post them in this thread for others to use.

If you would like to provide prompts for a month, sign up here.
An abstract, an old one. Acrylic on small canvas. Was experimenting with lines and light, again. The third one in the series. This one has sharper lines and angles than previous versions. From memory it started out as an owl looking through a window at dawn!
IMG_20221117_203617_595.jpg

Create some art that is inspired by any of this month's prompts. Let your imagination soar. Turn on your creative juices.

All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be something done quickly, a finished work of art or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, from life or a photo reference. If you use a photo reference, please make sure it has no applicable copyright restrictions.

Here are the prompts for December. Have fun interpreting them.

Abstract
Vegetable
Artist Choice

Post your finished (or unfinished) art in this thread. Post any time during the month, as many times as you would like.
Tell us a little about the work if you so desire. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. When you post, it's always nice to "like" or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

For help in finding reference images online, click on the link: Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
If you have copyright-free images that go along with the prompts that you would like to share, you can post them in this thread for others to use.

If you would like to provide prompts for a month, sign up here.
Artists choice ... some digital thinking. This started out as a collection of hand fans. I superimposed them over tilted cans and then started experimenting with colours, perspective, sharpness
1000002513-02.jpeg
1000002695-01.jpeg
and light. I think I will use the ideas somewhere.

Mississippi, very festive!

Joy, Jennie Jo, lovely abstract paintings. You are obviously much better at those than I am.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Thanks you ams. I do enjoy a little bit of abstraction in my life.

Reactions: ams
Jennie, This is so stimulating and exciting! The patterns, composition and fresh application makes this a pure original.

Jennie, This is so stimulating and exciting! The patterns, composition and fresh application makes this a pure original.
Thank you so much; that is the highest of praise. It blows me away.

Thank you so much; that is the highest of praise. It blows me away.
Jennie, you are the artist who "blew me away" with your creativity! If I saw this in a museum, I would look at it for quite a while, as there is so much of interest.

Back