Trying charcoal

Terri, Joe and Rich, thank you for the encouraging comments.

Couple of more lessons this seascape and then try an animal. Keeping fingers crossed.

F4FA0E8E-37CC-46A4-959F-D2481623A593.jpeg

Joe

Wonderful job,I really like it, there is everything, all the beauty and strength of nature

Yow! Get my slicker! It looks like a mighty fierce storm is here! (From the slanting rain-like lines in the sky.)

👍
--Rich

Kay M - I am with you on controlling charcoal. I signed up fir this course to experiment in various media. Main thing I learned about charcoal is that it is not my media. 😎

JoeI - Thanks brother. Appreciate the support.👍🏼

Rich - The stormy sky is my inability to get vine charcoal to blend smoothly, 😂🤣

Kay M - I am with you on controlling charcoal. I signed up fir this course to experiment in various media. Main thing I learned about charcoal is that it is not my media. 😎

JoeI - Thanks brother. Appreciate the support.👍🏼

Rich - The stormy sky is my inability to get vine charcoal to blend smoothly, 😂🤣
Well, we just had a thunderstorm roll through, and that's what it looked like (minus the ocean!).
And look! A problem has become a feature! 👍

--Rich

Thank you all for the kind encouraging words

Scamali - I find it very difficult to blend and lack the control of other dry mediums like graphite, color pencil or even pastel.

A landscape in charcoal was next ..
You certainly did a lovely job blending here and in the flower. Your blending really sets up the perspective in both pieces.

These are all great. You are managing this medium very well. There is depth, shadow, distance and texture rolled into beauty. I'm smiling.

Still not a fan.
He's a nice rhino, and you did a good job with values. I like your charcoal work! But if a medium doesn't grab you then it will feel more like work to sketch or draw, and it's supposed to be fun and bring you joy (regardless of talent level - I speak from experience!). ;)

I would always enjoy seeing more charcoal work from you, but if it's not your cuppa, I can understand that. :)

Your results with it are fantastic! Agree that it is a messy medium and smudges even with the best precautions.

Even if you don't like the medium as you say, you make wonders!
Let me ask, what type of paper do you use? I guess it was a suggestion by the online class teacher.
About charcoal, do you use raw charcoal sticks or charcoal pencils like e.g. Carbothello?

Joe1 - Thanks for taking time to encourage .

Terri - I am with you 100%. It’s suppose to be fun.

Kay - Thanks for taking time to comment and encourage. Strangely I love pastel which is almost as messy.

Classic - instructor said any good sketch paper with a bit of tooth. Also said to try both sides and use the smoother side. For the sunflower I used Bellofly mixed media 98lbs. I like it for graphite but not so much for charcoal. The instructor did discourage using watercolor or mixed media paper. I am pretty sure the paper I ended up using for the rest of the pieces was Strathmore 400 sketchbook. I just spent 45 min searching my house and cannot find that pad. My wife says it is Freudian that I unconsciously put it someplace where I won’t see it. LOL. The sketch and shading was done with vine charcoal. Used a charcoal pencil for details. While not on the materials list the instructor used a Wolff’s carbon pencil for the details.

Keep sketching
Joe

Not a fan? You should be. This is really terrific Joe. Try not to be so hard on yourself and see the greatness in your efforts.

Not a fan? You should be. This is really terrific Joe. Try not to be so hard on yourself and see the greatness in your efforts.
Thanks for the compliment. To be clear. I am a fan of charcoal art. The richness and contrast is beautiful. I am just not a fan of charcoal as a medium for me.

Again, late to the party, but have to comment anyway, if only to plead with you to take a look back with fresh eyes. Heaven help you if you don't see what a true talent you are with your charcoals..... look at the delicate shine on the petals of your first image, and the deep contrast you achieved at just the right strength to bring the plants to life 😍😂 Look at the expressive face of the last one ☀️ Look at the overall beauty of each creation, and the depths and surfaces that made them work so well for us fortunate viewers.

Maybe it's counter-intuitive to talk about shine when commenting on a charcoal..... but your work is special.....

Back