Trying charcoal

jmfletch

Doing an online class and the current series of classes are on drawing with charcoal.. i do like the strong contrast getting really dark darks. Mostly with this first charcoal lesson I learned that charcoal will never be my “go to“ medium,
97A73ED1-4474-4E5E-99E0-EF3527B9DB5F.jpeg

Beautiful ! You've done a terrific drawing. I love using charcoal.
Cheers,
Patricia

Joe, I wanted to wish you a good mid-August and I will add that I hope you will continue and publish other works, you already have an ordinary control of this fantastic but spiteful medium

I. Love. This. I like the way other people manipulate charcoal. I struggle. Why would this not be your medium?

Another beauty! I can certainly appreciate your comments about feeling the lack of control with the charcoal, but your results are still quite good for a beginner to this medium! Your pieces show better control than perhaps you are feeling - all of these are great!

I hope you continue to practice until you no longer feel like a beginner. :) You're very good!

Thank you all for the kind encouraging words

Scamali - I find it very difficult to blend and lack the control of other dry mediums like graphite, color pencil or even pastel.

A landscape in charcoal was next ..
View attachment 24242
To me, this has the feel of an oriental ink drawing – the misty background with the sharp foreground, all working together to provide a calm mood. 👍

--Rich

Back