Three Soft Pastels for Pastel Juried Show

Wow! These are excellent. Really impressive works. Can you win first prize in this? (Is it that kind of show?) If so, you will!

Wow! These are excellent. Really impressive works. Can you win first prize in this? (Is it that kind of show?) If so, you will!
It is a juried show and there are prizes. We will be notified of acceptance on Jan 14 and the show goes up Feb7 - Mar 31. There are some good artists. Albert Handel will probably enter. He is probably the most "famous" of members. You can check it out on austinpastelsociety.org They will have an in-person show at the Austin Fine Art Gallery in Austin but the awards will be on Zoom. Sort of weird. I've been a member since 1998 and have only garnished Honorable Mention. You never know. Desmond O'Hagan was the judge one year and he said that it was all so subjective. He had picked his winners on line and then changed when he saw them in person. He said it depended on the day as to which paintings he liked. So there you are. Anyone can win. Can't have hurt feelings if you don't, different judge, different winners.

The judging is on-line only so all look the same size. Hard to imagine a 5 x 7 inch against a 30 x 40 inch. I haven't followed the judge. Her work looks good. She also teaches a workshop along with the show, but I don't like Zoom learning so am not paying big bucks for that. Entry fee is $45 for the paintings, one or three. That is why I hurried and painted three. Ha.

Hi Jo. Just looked up Lyn. She is a very very good artist. Her color sense is amazing.

Yes, judging is all subjective, and a lot of that is done via digital, and especially these days. I enter a competition every year for a printable book that is very sought after and have never been accepted. I don't know why I keep entering since it's like $60 bucks for the entry of three pieces. It's super competitive. Some of the winners have tiny pieces, and some pieces are absolutely huge. The jurors are usually curators of well-known museums. It's weird that that judge admitted that it depended on the day as to which paintings he liked. That means his tastes would be very arbitrary. I do understand changing one's mind once seeing work in person, however. But depending on the day? Weird. Anyway, I can see you winning this time! :)

Thank you, Katie. I always like red and geraniums are fun with pastels.

Artyczar, weird judges. We’ve had a show since about 1999. Several times I didn’t get in with paintings that were my best and sold. You can’t win if you don’t play, though. Ha. Good luck on your book this year!

They are all great, but I am partial to the geraniums :) Very well done!

These are fab! So vibrant and fresh. I can't decide a favourite, it's between the geraniums and the landscape.

The annual juried show for the Austin Pastel Society deadline was today. I wasn't going to enter but they needed more paintings so I started last week and painted three. We will see what gets in the show this weekend I think. They finally got about 75 paintings submitted for 60 slots so chances are pretty good. The judge is Lyn Asselta.

View attachment 16481
Puddles - Pastel on Pastelbord - 12 x 12 inches

View attachment 16482
Potted Reds - Pastel on Pastelbord - 9 x 1
The Blues - Pastel on Pastelbord - 8 x 10

blues in the 3rd one, so engaging. Wonderful pieces!

Thank you, JennieJo. I was looking a a blue toned frame, something new I saw. Probably not good for a show, looked like fun though.

We received the news already. There were 108 entries in the end, 60 selected for the show. The judge selected, "Puddles", the landscape/trees. The awards will be given in a zoom "reception" on February 5.
I'll let you know when the show is on-line. Thanks all of you for the kind words and encouragement.

T
That's good news, Jo! It's a beautiful landscape. Congrats on being chosen!
Thanks, Donna. It is especially nice since I haven't been painting much.

I really don't like the Zoom awards. If the art is being seen in person, looks like we could have a reception like the old days. Just call me a complainer.

Back