Three Soft Pastels for Pastel Juried Show

Jo Castillo

Supporting Member
The annual juried show for the Austin Pastel Society deadline was today. I wasn't going to enter but they needed more paintings so I started last week and painted three. We will see what gets in the show this weekend I think. They finally got about 75 paintings submitted for 60 slots so chances are pretty good. The judge is Lyn Asselta.

21017puddles-550.jpg

Puddles - Pastel on Pastelbord - 12 x 12 inches

22001potted-reds550.jpg

Potted Reds - Pastel on Pastelbord - 9 x 12 inches
22001the-blues-550.jpg

The Blues - Pastel on Pastelbord - 8 x 10 inches

Jo, these are beautiful. I love the atmosphere and light in the first, the gorgeous colors in the second and simple flowers against the orange background in the third. They are all in the show if I am the judge!

Lovely work! The first one is like strolling through a dream. I love your bright flowers against those backgrounds in the other two.

I agree with Anne that they all deserve a slot!

These are really great, all three. Hope your show is successful. ❤️❤️

Jo, these are beautiful. I love the atmosphere and light in the first, the gorgeous colors in the second and simple flowers against the orange background in the third. They are all in the show if I am the judge!
Anne, thank you so much. I had done a similar bluebonnets years ago and I remembered how I liked the contrasts. Fun to do and bluebonnets are very "Texas". Maybe too much so as all paint bluebonnets the State flower.

Lovely work! The first one is like strolling through a dream. I love your bright flowers against those backgrounds in the other two.

I agree with Anne that they all deserve a slot!
Thank you so much, Terri. Sometimes a rush and not overthinking has satisfactory results. I had been avoiding painting for the show because of the deadline, then had to really push it. Ha.

These are all show-worthy, Jo, and I hope you will be getting some good news soon. Your work is so vibrant and full of life! The touches of blue-violet on the geranium leaves really make that one special for me but your color sense is evident in all three.

Thank you so much, Terri. Sometimes a rush and not overthinking has satisfactory results. I had been avoiding painting for the show because of the deadline, then had to really push it. Ha.
These are beautifully crafted. Overthinking often ruins the pleasure of doing it.

Beautiful work Jo! Love them all but particularly the red geraniums in a pot! Best of luck!

These are all show-worthy, Jo, and I hope you will be getting some good news soon. Your work is so vibrant and full of life! The touches of blue-violet on the geranium leaves really make that one special for me but your color sense is evident in all three.
Thanks, Donna. Seems I'm finally starting to paint a bit again. The longer you stay away the higher the learning curve to start again. Sort of like playing in the dust again. :)

Back