Bedraggled, pastel on UArt 400, 8 x 8 inches
Flower was a prompt for the Scavenger Hunts. We sketch from life and the only flower here was this bedraggled geranium that barely lived through the hot Texas summer with something like 90 days over 100º F. It is finally starting to bloom and we get two or three nights in the mid 30s so I had to bring it in the house.
I used a "new" piece of UArt paper 400. If you've seen my pastel sketches I tend to wipe them off and do another on the same surface. This paper curls and doesn't suit my type of painting. I like to use a light touch and scumble one color over another. With the peaks and valleys the peaks pick up more pastel and create lines. I prefer Pastelbord or Colourfix paper. I taped this down well but it still curls on the edges and I like to paint to the edge so can't/don't tape it on the front. Maybe mounting the paper would work, but I hadn't thought about using the paper until I did! Ha.
I did an under painting with pastel and alcohol and it ran a lot so when dry I put a little more pastel and spritzed with water for the background. I don't have a good assortment of fuchsia which I wanted for the flowers, I will look into that.