The babies have gone to the market.

john

I brought twelve paintings to the food market yesterday. A large indoor space with empty booths and tables. Two guys are going to hang them. I'm getting a table in one corner. I'm glad it's a corner. It's only for four hours on Saturday mornings.

So my children have gone out into the world for the first time. The studio walls are bare now. It's a big relief. All the framing and paperwork and pricing and changing the paintings at the last minute.... It was a little stressful. Now I can relax a bit until Saturday, when the market happens and that night there is an arts council members show of one painting from all 91 members. Going to be an exciting day. I'm not sure which thing I am most excited about.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Last edited:
That is very exciting news, John! (y) If you can take a few photos when all of your paintings are up it would be great to see them in their display space. I hope it all goes real well!

Yes, make sure you get a few shots of your work hanging at your booth. It's a big moment for you, so listen to the photographer (me) and document, document, document! :)

Good luck and have fun with it!

Thanks so much for the support guys. Feels like I got my posse with me. A artist gang lol.

I'm trying to remember that I delivered 64 newspapers every day by bicycle when I was 13. This should be easier. Some of those customers were characters. Like the Swedish family that didn't like to wear clothes. And the vicious dogs that I somehow stayed one step ahead of. Tomorrow will be a piece of cake by comparison. :)

Well guys, thanks for the well wishing and I'm happy to report that I made a sale! First ever! I would have made another but the buying interface through the arts council was too cumbersome and she gave up. Said she would be back next week. I've since talked to them and now I can just use my square card reader. They just ask that I give them their 30%.

It was slow from 9 to 12 and no one was even looking at the paintings. But starting around noon I would say about six women looked at them.

Sold "Diamond in the Sky With Lucy" to a singer named Jessica. One of my favorites. The other painting that almost sold was "Morning Fog Hugs the Trees" probably my least favorite of them all so go figure.

I had been nervous about the whole thing and didn't sleep the night before, but I needn't have worried. It was pretty chill. I ended up buying some foods. Lot's of good stuff.

I'm really happy she bought that painting as it's the kind of abstract landscape magic realism that I want to do. Working on version number two now.

This was my corner, the paintings extend out on each side more. I had 12 up. They look a little small. I can increase sizes if I want, but I wonder if the smaller sizes are more likely to sell.

It's all a bit unbelievable and a little scary. Like I'm going to wake up and find out it was all a dream.

Thanks again for all the support guys. This was my cold corner. I brought in a chair and looked at my phone. Maybe I'll pretend to sketch or something next time.

1674608851220.png

This was the painting she bought. I forgot to ask why she liked it. Maybe, being a singer she liked the name.

1674609240973.png

So happy for you! This set-up looks great- the grey walls are a gift!
As a long time market stall participant- I always think that the people who look would probably never enter an art gallery, so I am there to chat and talk about the paintings and the process.
People love to see an artist working- so if you are comfortable, I would be working on some art and have an easel, palette, brushes etc set up so they can ask questions.

So happy for you! This set-up looks great- the grey walls are a gift!
As a long time market stall participant- I always think that the people who look would probably never enter an art gallery, so I am there to chat and talk about the paintings and the process.
People love to see an artist working- so if you are comfortable, I would be working on some art and have an easel, palette, brushes etc set up so they can ask questions.

Thanks Bethany. I can't see myself doing art while there? I'm not one of those artists that are always sketching and such. I'm fairly unproductive and choosy about when I paint and confused when I do. I don't want to look confused in front of people.

But maybe I should do it just for that reason. Part of all this is about pushing my comfort zones. Maybe I can try to learn how to sketch.

...I'm happy to report that I made a sale! First ever!
Big congrats, John! That sale must be a real affirmation on your first outing. Your paintings look great on the wall!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Well guys, thanks for the well wishing and I'm happy to report that I made a sale! First ever! I would have made another but the buying interface through the arts council was too cumbersome and she gave up. Said she would be back next week. I've since talked to them and now I can just use my square card reader. They just ask that I give them their 30%.

It was slow from 9 to 12 and no one was even looking at the paintings. But starting around noon I would say about six women looked at them.

Sold "Diamond in the Sky With Lucy" to a singer named Jessica. One of my favorites. The other painting that almost sold was "Morning Fog Hugs the Trees" probably my least favorite of them all so go figure.

I had been nervous about the whole thing and didn't sleep the night before, but I needn't have worried. It was pretty chill. I ended up buying some foods. Lot's of good stuff.

I'm really happy she bought that painting as it's the kind of abstract landscape magic realism that I want to do. Working on version number two now.

This was my corner, the paintings extend out on each side more. I had 12 up. They look a little small. I can increase sizes if I want, but I wonder if the smaller sizes are more likely to sell.

It's all a bit unbelievable and a little scary. Like I'm going to wake up and find out it was all a dream.

Thanks again for all the support guys. This was my cold corner. I brought in a chair and looked at my phone. Maybe I'll pretend to sketch or something next time.

View attachment 27884

This was the painting she bought. I forgot to ask why she liked it. Maybe, being a singer she liked the name.

View attachment 27885
Fantastic result.

Thanks for the update John - I was just thinking about you and wondering how things went. Sounds like a big success to me! Congrats!

Sounds like it went very well, and now, you'll never have "first time" nerves again. Congrats on the sale! I love the piece and am not at all surprised that it sold. :)

Back