Study of Rubens

Rikard

I got this really great book, ”Drawing lessons from the great masters” by Robert Beverly Hale. In it are some really great drawings as well as comments and advice from the author. Today I wanted to draw but lacked inspiration to come up with anything by myself. So I decided to do a quick study of one of the drawings from this book. It’s one by Rubens.

IMG_8169.jpeg

Excellent. Great way to dip your fingers in when lacking your own inspiration!
Great work, Rikard. ❤️
Thank you. I tend to draw less males than females. The beautiful flow and rythm in womens’ figures are easier to convey. A simple contour drawing sometimes suffices. But I think this pose is a good one. Of course It does help that the model is very fit and muscular. I might try with a more average built man :)

Nice job. When you are stuck it might be good to consider that an artist as great as Rubens made a good many copies (drawings and paintings) of works by artists he admired:

tumblr_ml8qrnhoye1rqqedro1_600.jpg

154293-Rubens_-_Study_of_the_Belvedere_Torso.jpg

Arezzo_anghiari_Battle_standard_leonardo_da_vinci.sm.JPG

la chute de l'homme.med.jpg

Nice job. When you are stuck it might be good to consider that an artist as great as Rubens made a good many copies (drawings and paintings) of works by artists he admired:

Thank you very much. Some great inspiration there. I feel like with Rubens it’s almost like he is showing off. All those wonderful renderings of forms. The internal parts work together like the tones of a symphony.

Back