Scavenger Hunt from Life #9 Jan 13 to Jan 21

Ai, so much detail in those wee silver items. I've not come across liquid pencil, shall have to look that one up

Joe, I'm in awe at the solidity of that tool on the paper - you achieve fantastic gradations. What patience to keep at it for that long, kudos to you

Hi Joan, interesting set up, not sure my hand would move at the end if I tried that :eek:

Triss, now that's a better day to be out sketching, great light on this one

Robin, good finds for the prompts and I do like the idea of the blue/pink dots in the snow being sparks of joy

Joe, lovely interesting sketches again from you, I particularly like the rooster - he looks as though he has real attitude

I was getting ingredients together to make curry, saw this and thought of the Hunt - so dinner got delayed a wee bit. :D:D:D

5 Strange shape / texture Ginger Root

ginger.jpg

Sue: Thanks... the ginger roots were lovely. You captured the contour very well.

Robin: Thanks..for your kind words. I just humbly try many things out... I am blushed by your words. Love both sets. The first set was sure fun... love the kalimba for musical and the snow in blue-pink to spark joy is special. The second set with 5 dolls in the armchair was superb. Love your hatching and the whimsical drawing you create.

Last edited:
LOL I've gotten so used to having my palette in my hand that it seems like second nature. My hand doesn't get tired with the small one, but does with the larger one. Robin, it is pretty steady if you use the thumb ring and I do sort of rest my hand on my knee sometimes. There are a lot of small palettes that don't have a thumb ring but I can't imagine holding onto it without the ring.

Triss, the field looks good with the sun shining on it...great textures like always.

Joe 1, your figures are good. I really like your lines on the rooster!

Sue, great idea to use the ginger root for a strange shape...nicely shaded.

Robin, I love how you used the animals to make an unusual shape! They look so cute grouped together on the chair. They look very happy together.

5 - something red - intense pencils
IMG_9403.jpeg

Sue - Lovely work on the ginger root shapes - great find!

Robin - Brilliant sketches! I absolutely love the wonderful garden sketch, and the teddies on the chair - so much fun.

Joe1 - Great drawing - love the loose energy of your lines in both sketches.

Joan - Fab colour from the pencils - love the extra bits of drawing, and the texture they add.

Was stuck inside today, so spent a bit of time investigating if I could underpaint with acrylics in a similar way for pastel by adding gesso to the paint (I really, really hate gouache!). Not thrilled with the result, and the surface is a bit too toothy for me, but will have another play around with the acrylic/gesso percentages (any tips, Jo?). Sorry, not from life, but from the last from-life sketch. Acrylics/pastel, A1.
landscapenfl.jpg

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:

*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.

*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.

*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.

*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.

*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt #9 Jan 13– Jan 21

Something musical

Something rare

A bird

Something wet

Something you could (or did) find on a walk

Something that fixes

Something red

Something with a weird shape or texture

A toy

Something strong

Something delicate

A vessel

A ring

Something orange

Something pink

Something glass

Something eerie

Something that sparks joy

A landscape

Challenge:
Try Stippling one of your drawings (the creation of a pattern simulating varying degrees of solidity or shading by using small dots.)
A vessel. Tentative start. Coffee cup, A5 rough sketch paper, closest pencil to hand, probably HB. It was now or never as I scanned CS new posts. I may edit, will repost if I do.View attachment 17536

Joan - I do love seeing your palette and that it is not neat and precise like your paintings! You planted the thought of Italian so today I cooked up Italian sausage and peppers Lo and behold! You painted the pepper right down to the seeds that seem to end up everywhere.

Robin - Blue and pink snow made me smile and think of the many times I marveled at your ink drawings that looked amazing as all the values were right but the colors were not what was expected. You got me going again with the unusual shape. The reference photo reminded me of the collections Jeanne use to use (but no cows). Nice find on the shape and A fun drawing.

Joe1 - Someone else already mentioned but the rooster does seem to have attitude. Head back, chest out and beak open like he is telling everyone off.

Sue - Cool find on the ginger. Nicely textured.

Triss - This was soft pastels? Many years ago I use to mix acrylics into pastel ground to create base color. Only took a dab of acrylic. Pastel ground is basically gesso with grit in it so should work the same. Well that is my theory. Lovely landscape.

JennieJo - Hi! Welcome to Hunts. For some reason I cannot see your drawing. Get a message saying I do not have permission to view.

Keep sketching
Joe

Wonderful work everyone. I've been watching and "liking" but I am too far behind to comment on everyone.

Joan, I see you used Inktense for your pepper. How do you like them? I have Derwent watercolor pencils from several years ago but I can't get good vibrant color from them.

I finally managed to get in a few quick sketches this afternoon. I've been working from reference photos which I like for the larger variety of subjects so they get posted elsewhere.

Ink & water-soluble graphite. About an hour for the group.

1 Something wet (dishcloth)
2 Odd shape (I use this to wet my dry watercolor paints on my palette but it is really a nasal aspirator for babies.)
3 Glass
4 Ring

20220118Sk6 SH9,1-4.png

... Robin, it is pretty steady if you use the thumb ring and I do sort of rest my hand on my knee sometimes. There are a lot of small palettes that don't have a thumb ring but I can't imagine holding onto it without the ring.
Joan & Robin: I used to find a thumb-ring plastic accessory, designed to be a thumb-ring on a mobile phone and attach to back of my watercolor travel pallette.

Like these on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Transparent-...42560762&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-10&th=1

Tone took me to a cafe by Bangkok's mud sea mangrove canal. I had green tea :)...Anyway, I try to sketch those boats but they were passing by so fast. So what I had jotted down here, might not be as accurate as I wish. Both done in 6x8 inch freebie Thai local made sketchbook.

#16 landscape -- done in wc and pencil
h9_landscape.jpg

#17 vessel -- done in direct wc
h9_vessel.jpg

Here are some real scenes...
h9_vessel_b_BKTN_canal.jpg

Last edited:
Love your boat scenes Ai. You have to work fast to draw or paint a boat that close to you! Good job.

JennieJo - Hope you can repost your image - would love to see what you've drawn.

Joe - Yes, that one's soft pastel. I'm lazy, so I'd really like a method that works for underpainting both soft & oil pastels. I've never looked into pastel ground properly as I usually like smooth paper for soft pastels. Will investigate it - Colorfix seems to be the main one available here.

ams - Lovely sketches, and great work on all the surfaces and materials - beautiful tones from your graphite & ink combination.

Ai - Wonderful to see the views on your local canals! Great job sketching the moving boats - I particularly like the second one with the gorgeous, grainy water effects.

#1c - Landscape. Was impatiently waiting for some light so I could try my new mix of acrylic&gesso/pastel. Back to my usual field for an early morning attempt. A2.
morningfield.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments. I wrote this last night and never posted. We were almost evacuated for a fire, but they got it under control. It was in the State Park, a controlled burn that got away from them. We have 75 degrees F. today and 38 tomorrow for the high. What a difference!

Ai, the fallen flowers are so beautiful, great direct watercolor sketch. The pool is excellent. Love the silver dollar and ring. Super finds for the Hunt. The boats are great. You have mastered the direct watercolor. Thanks for the photos, too.

Joe, the vice grips look so real. I'm giving them to Gene to put in his tool box. Fabulous shading and shine.

Joan, you are so dedicated to our watercolor and going out. Thanks for sharing the equipment you use.

Triss, I like the landscape with acrylics and oil pastel. I'm thinking you paint with acrylic and add the exciting strokes with the oil pastel. So lovely. Ditto on the field with acrylics and pastel. I like the purple in the grass in the last one. I haven't made my own surfaces in so long. I used gesso with pumice in it. I see they are recommending clear gesso and brush it on. Hmmm. Sorry I'm not sure of the amounts. It is probably online someplace. (wet canvas ?) Have fun.

Robin, your sketches make me grin and smile. Fun pinky snow. I like your odd shape sketch and then that you filled in in. Applause! Plus I have the same little hedge hog animal. Fun!!

joe1lt. ah, nice shepherd carrying water. Cool rooster, nice lines.

Sue, ginger definitely has a strange shape. Fun find and well sketched. I love to eat it.

Joan, a lovely sketch and find for red. We hardly ever get regular green and red peppers. Nice to see and looks good to eat.

Jennie Jo, I couldn't see your attachment. I'll try later, sometimes they come in later.

Anne, your faucet and cloth are amazing. The others aare as well, but the curve of the faucet is like a car, no lines to go by to get the shape. Such nice work.

I tried the pointalism in a regular sketchbook with the Lamy pen. About 30 minutes. Another technique that is not for me. I don't have the patience. :)

Number 6 or so - orange

shfl9orange.jpg

Robin what a good idea for a weird shape - that made me smile. I do like the wee touches of colour

Joan, nice pepper with good range of tones with inktense

Jennie, Hi - sorry I can't see your image either

Anne, lovely sketches again,, good drape of the wet cloth over the shiny tap. That odd shape object is a new on to me - but then again I tend to stay well clear of babies!

Ai, wow you must have had to work fast for those two boat scenes, great catch

Triss, think that is my favourite so far of your field sketches, fantastic light. I've never actually used pastels with acrylic - ,may have to give it a try

Jo, good stippling on the mug - I'm too impatient for that as a technique too

6 Wet, well they would be if we could get inside them ;) Barrels of Highland Park Whisky maturing in casks. Charcoal and eraser on cartridge paper, about 8 x 6 ins. Could also count as rare as this is the first charcoal piece I have I have ever done in situ and in one go. :D:D:D:D It was sooooo dark in there. I'd gone with a ground prepared with charcoal and used the eraser to carve out the details and added highlights with chalk

HP Barrels.jpg

Sue, Jo, Triss, Anne: Thank you for your kind comments on my sketches.

Sue: My boat sketches, more than 50% was painted down after the real boats had sped away. I hope I have a lucky day to sketch a boat at dry dock. Wow... what an amazing charcoal art piece. I love it, as the charcoal gives the perfect mood, light, and texture ... of things slowly maturing with glowing ambiance. Your text on those barrels were exceptional.

Triss: Lovely morning glow... Thank you for venturing out in the early morning and captured us the perfect scene... Love how you put variety of pink and yellow combined to great dramatic sunrise effect. It reminds me of the perfect moring scene in Pride and Prejudice.

Jo: I'm glad you and Gene are safe from the fire. We can never take our life for granted; things can go wrong around us in a blink. Wonderful stippling.... with fantastic result. I am smiling as I thought that I am so out of patience in waiting for paint to dry ... I totally can relate between you and stippling.

Anne: What a wonderful ink+graphite set. You did the towel on the tap so well. The odd shape is cute too. Excellent set. ... Glad you have time to join in this Hunt.

Jennie: Hope you can try to repost the image again.

Last edited:
Jo - Really glad the fire is under control. I'm glad there are a few of us here with patience problems, but I do like your stippled mug - the logo looks fab against all the dots. Thanks for the thoughts on pastel ground. I'm guessing I just have to play around until I get the smoothest surface that'll still take pastel - or learn how to work on the really gritty stuff.

Sue - Fabulous subject, and wonderful sketch! Love the way you've used the charcoal - I don't do subtractive charcoal often enough, but you've inspired me to find my erasers. I like how the details on the casks sit against the more abstract marks, too.

Ai - I'm always up early - but I did get lucky with the light, I was prepared for one of Joe's Navy days!

Back