Scavenger Hunt from Life #71: Jun 3 - Jun 11

#9 made of wood -- Thai style fishing boat...
1000013036.jpg

1000013022.jpg

Jo, my plants don't usually do well. Between not getting much sun and me overwatering/underwatering they have to fight to stay alive. My herbs usually do OK. I just went out and moved my basil, rosemary, parsley, and sage from their tiny pots to bigger container.

Ai, you are very ambitious where you are. I don't like the name of that beetle. I sure hope it doesn't live up to its name. Love the train and the boats. You get so many details on the boats!!! Great job on the stones on the island.

Joe 1, thanks. I like the scissors and the colored version too. I still haven't tried Procreate. I don't know what I'm waiting for. I guess I am thinking it will be a long learning process and I'm too lazy to do it. lol

Kay, your keys are nicely done! My key ring has too many keys and is too heavy.

A story for my next sketch... My sister, Fran who lived in California had 3 very energetic (wild) boys. I visited them a lot when I had time off from teaching and we were always off driving somewhere (usually the beach). When they were young and fell asleep in the car she didn't want to stop to pick up food at the market because that would wake them up. Luckily she had a drive thru store that sold basic foods and we would often pull in to get milk or bread or necessary supplies. This drive thru that I sketched today is no longer open but it reminds me of that drive thru and those special times with my sister and her family. She passed away about 24 years ago and I miss all those special times with them.

8 - something that evokes a good memory - direct watercolor

IMG_2646.jpeg

Bghisly, I'm with Joan on the name of the bug. It does look interesting and is a good find! Love the vehicle and the bonus of building/church and flags. The palette looks nice and very handy.

Ai, cool locomotive.Great fishing boats and the rocks are super on the river. It is all so interesting, love the photos, too. The boat, made of wood is especially nice with just line drawing. Love that.

joe1lt, I like the scissors. Nice in lines and hatching and good color in my eyes. Always good to try something new.

Joan, we must be sister gardeners. Ha. I threw some old cherry tomatoes in the compost and then never mixed it. I went out and had to pull some big "weeds" out of the pit. After I pulled them up I discovered they were cherry tomatoes that were still growing and green. One plant didn't get too messed up and today I got 3 little tomatoes and there are some of the oblong ones about 8 or so on another vine. Crazy gardener!! I like your drive through story and sketch. Nice memories. I never heard of drive through groceries. There are drive through liquor stores in Texas.

Triduana, Kay D, the keys are so nice on the cream paper which adds to the sketch. Nice hatching.

I was looking for a different vehicle. We heard the fire truck sirens early today and about midday I thought to go see if the firetruck was out and being cleaned up. Thankful for local volunteer fire department. The big truck was still gone but the bays were open and there were 3 smaller trucks there. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with Micron 03 and colored at home. Took much longer to color than to draw. Ha.

Number 4 vehicle

csshfl71vehicle.jpg

Joan and Jo, thanks for the interés on the beetle. So, I didn't knew it existes till last year when I started to work on this little town. When it gets Hot you see them almost everywhere and they are big! (9cm) This year as I'm spending so much time there I could ask what they where and told it was the "mankiller" or "cura". Cura because seems a priest with the black robes, and mankiller because is indeed mild toxic. And on a funny note, if you spit on them they "bleed", of course isn't blood but the venom, but as its Red, people thought was blood.
The sketch with the car was because as soon I got my car back I knew I needed to sketch in place, so went to a little town I didn't knew called Casas del Monte. Its town hall is so little! So there's the sketch.
Thanks to Joe and Ai too.
Another one:

#5 set of Keys, my car keys
IMG_20230606_203111.jpg

I have some sketches I hope to post tomorrow (it's too dark now to photograph) so comments for now.
Bghisly - welcome back - lovely leaves/branches. I was looking up the cura/mankiller beetle and I kept getting results for bugs in some sort of software (or operating system distribution?) named cura - lol. Such a tidy and clean palette - is that a travel brush? Yay keys :)
Jo - great floral studies and thanks for the photo of your (oh so tidy!) sketching porch. Are those windows? Or just screens? Are those markers with the yellow label? Which types of hummers visit your feeder? I like that it's hung by an shelf bracket. Oooh great nature pond walk finds :) Love your story of the gardeners in Bolivia trading plants :) Yay colorful red trucks
Triduana - lovely floral studies from you too! I feel I should do some botanical studies to keep up with you all :)
Joan - yay the "outside in" ... what is unique about the garden shop? Does the shop have a cat? There's a cat at my local garden store and he mostly keeps to himself in the lesson/classroom area but sometimes he patrols the place. Ooh another plant place ... is gardening a common hobby for that region or is this your hobby? :)
Ai - sigh - I so love your direct WC in cheapo book ... I hope to be 1/10 as skilled someday :) Great job on the seats for the people waiting for the train. Yahoo colorful train cars :) Oh and boats too! I feel like I'm on holiday seeing your lovely sketches and photos from places in Thailand ... sigh....

Thank you for kind words, Joan, Jo, EP, Bghisly.
EP: hope to take you to sketch somewhere in Thailand.

Joan: what a lovely story of your beautiful sketch.

Jo: So nice bright vehicles.

Last edited:
#10 made of metal -- coffee drift set, Viatnamese style
#11 made of glass -- teacup and glass cup
#12 good for health -- tea

Sketching of a tea-coffee breakfast set at my homestay at Chumphon. All done in directwatercolor....Pardon my wrong scale of coffee spoon. ..lol.

1000013132.jpg

1000013129.jpg

Eyepaint , the scientific name of the bug is

Berberomeloe majalis​

And here's a pic from Google tried to find a pic of someone holding it, but seems people are a tad scared, lol

Ah! And yes its a plastic travel brush, but its so tiny so tiny, that I outgrow it really fast (its a sinthetic #4). The palette is so clean because I don't use it as often

6a1327cb-1451-447a-93ad-23489a9891d9_16-9-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg

#13 made of fabric -- flags on buoy poles, used for marking locations of your fishing traps

1000013267.jpg

1000013261.jpg

I sketched some more...I will also put the one below as invoking my good memories of riding a vessel thru this water channel to go to Tao Island 12 years ago.

1000013286.jpg

#14 with arms ...a ) snall ferry chaufers

b) a standing up ferry passenger in foreground boat
1000013255.jpg

1000013244.jpg

A quick post and dash ... I will return with comments later.5x8" page.

1. fence
2. made of wood
3. a weed substitute for flowers
4. arms
5. legs
6. made of plastic

hunt71-01.jpg

I need to revisit that plastic chair to understand it better.

Cheers,

Jo, thanks. I always look and check to see if the bays are open at our fire stations, but they rarely are. How great that you got to sketch several of the smaller trucks. Funny story about the tomatoes. I would love to grow tomatoes, but we don't have enough sunlight on my side of the building. I've been tempted to try one in a pot on the other side where we exit our garage, but so many of the neighbors park right outside their garages instead of inside and they create too much shade there too.

Bghisly, a bug that secretes venom that looks like blood sounds like something from a scary movie. Nice work on the set of keys.

EP, at one time this area was known for farmland and duck farms. After the towns started developing and expanding there aren't that many farms left, but close to me there are quite a few large garden centers. They've gotten fancy with little buildings with trinkets and some little antiques, and a lot of them host weddings on the property. The bigger farms where they grow veggies are farther east...maybe a 40 minute ride. The duck farms are almost completely gone. Nice line sketches of the fence and the chair.

Ai, I love when you go someplace new and find boats. They are always so interesting and different from the ones here. Love the fabric flags and the way you let the watercolor bleed in the last sketch. I could be very happy sketching there.

more great works by all.

thank you all for the nice words about the scissors designs.

Joan, I found procreate the easiest to get used to because it resembled a bit the other popular programs and they made sure that it adapted to tablets.
before procreate I bought art rage which was cheap, 3 euros, and it's very nice but it's difficult for me to use it, in the end I also bought procreate and in the end I tried to get used to only one, artrage but I think it simulated better the real media, it gives you oil and acrylic tools, not knowing how to handle them real here too I didn't know how to use it well but as a program it was nice, however I found the procreate commands even easier to use. (although some things, such as effects, cuts and paste and the like I have never used them yet, I was trying to understand the layer masks but apart from a few drawings where I tried the layins especially for coloring, to try to learn how to use lights and shadows, I almost always procreate, I use the iPad to draw like a scketbook, perhaps my use is not wise, I have made it the most expensive sketchbook in the world... , in reality I use zoom or erase more than with the traditional means, sometimes, often I really use it as a notebook, however if the reference is the photo, as almost always, next to the photo next to the drawing, in these cases maybe I enlarge a little, but this and deleting is something that made me get used to digital, because I really like having the reference photo ( also real object if it's still life) to my left, not photographing the references, before the ipad I did it very little, sometimes I had photos on the pc, in front of me, so digital speeds up the measuring part and I don't have to throw away the sheets with the my drawings that I didn't have much space, even if I work with paper for this now I like to use sketchooks, instead of reams of paper or albums). sorry long message, digression, ending.
Joan I think you could handle both very well in a short time procreate, procreate finding it similar to other programs you've used, and artage with your skill with real media.

goodnight

Joan - Like how you did the stone wall. Once more impressed with the painted text. The arch looks very romantic. Both times.

Bghisly - Nicely done. Like the idea to go for the details. That is a tough looking beetle. Nice work on the car. With all the. Curves they are tough. The palette looks new. Obviously a modern woman with modern keys. 😎 that bug is definitely nasty looking.

Jo - Like the pen work on the flowers. First glance I thought it was watercolor. Whenever you say pond I look fir the little bridge. 3 sketches and no bridge ☹️. Lucky the trucks were inside so you only had to draw parts.Lol

Kay - looks like then walk paid off. Nice work on the keys. Nice hatching on the post and uts hat.

Ai - The more I learn about watercolor the more impressed I am when y’all paint direct. Neat looking train. Did a triple take on the superstructure of that ship until I looked closer at the photo and realized it was tied up outboard of another ship. You are being very prolific! Nice work on the flags,the boars and trip down memory lane.

Joe1 - Nice sketch of the scissor still in package. Find coloring easier in Procreate by making sure all areas are fully enclosed than use Fill. The switch back to brush for details.

EP - great combo sketch. Love the touch of green on the “flower”

Keep sketching
Joe

Oh my, I have comments for first two pages and the page three are lovely too, but not time for more than these....But you all are just cooking with gas!!! great stuff, inspiring, loose and creative!!!!

Joan, thanks for the list There are several of my favorites ! OH my, the vegetation is all up inm the front row!! cl makes for an interestingly unusual feeling. WOW!! so much in that garden shop sketch. Clear, coherent, and lingerworthy viewing.

Bghisly-I like your simple forms and pleasant colors. The architecture with car sketch is simple. The watercolor adds alot. Very cool bug

JoC--oh lots of flowers, lucky you!! your flowers look pretty happy. Nice airy porch. Love the sketch from your walk. Very atmospheric.

Triduana - nice sketches sketching durong a walk makes for a lovely excursion and a drawing with a strong memory bond too.

Ai - Oh, nice soft flowers. the shapes are so gently achieved. Nice very Nice....oh, loved that truck!! raw and powerfully present. Now that is what I call Comfy FEET!!....great seated figures. nice locomotive and boat sketches. You make me "I JUST GOTTA get out the watercolors" So much detail on such a small economy page- you are adventurous girl!!

Joe1lt- I love your procreate Sketches. Last couldn't tell it was digi...second one is SO fun!!! Very Nice. i had procreate on my ipad but it became outdated and dissapeared. If I get a new ipad someday I hope to get procreate then. It is fun to use. Meanwhile, I enjoy your sketches.

EP - adorable lawn chair sketch

Fletch - Hi....hope we can "catch" a little sketch or two soon, eh. :>)

Ai - that would be so wonderful to do a sketch tour in Thailand with you. You'd know all the great spots and how to get to them. You are staying in a "homestay"? Is that like a "bed and breakfast"? Such a splendid sketch. Ah lovely flags to mark fish traps. So I wonder how often people eat fish - once a day? once a week? Once a month? Yay more boats!
Bghisly - thank you for the scientific name and photo. According to wikipedia, "...its coloration is aposematic..." (https://en.wikipedia.org//wiki/Berberomeloe_majalis) which means: "Aposematism is the advertising by an animal to potential predators that it is not worth attacking or eating." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposematism) I learn so much hanging out here with you guys!
Joan - thank you for the garden info and the comment on my sketch.
Triduana - yay fence post with a hat - yarn bombing? Or maybe a person found a hat and put it up high for the owner to spot it?
Joe - thank you. I feel I need to sketch a legit flower now :)
Robin - thank you

Thanks you all for kind words of my sketches.

EP: You will be just fine travel here or in Thailand or South east Asia... now there are so many clips aka vlog on youtube. But if you are in Thailand in Bangkok, I highly have more chance to meet up with you, esp. in June and July month where my work schedule is less crazy. Yes, I am at a local home stay call RubLomChomKlong of Chumphon province of Thailand. I combine meeting up my dear friend with sketching.... good line sketches

Triduana: So lovely sketch of a hatted fenced post. super cute subject.

Back