Scavenger Hunt from Life #56: Feb 03 - Feb 11

I have roamed the earth for many a year and don't recall the weather ever this cold. In Boston I think it was a minus 10 degrees with winds up to 40 miles an hour and a feel like temperature of a minus 35 degrees... Now temps heading towards 50 degrees?

Jo:
I'll be there for the cheescake expect me at noon..... Like the buttons on the sleeve and the wrist --- like the vegetarian
restaurant I have reduced my meet intake over the past few years as well. Love jam and jellies have a serious sweet tooth.
I have been having avocado toast and egg for breakfast lately as well. Nice potatoes I think I'll throw
them in my beef stew later today. That exactor knife looks dangerous great job on the hand
All your sketches are well done and they are items I enjoy myself.

Joan: Nice coffee shop, is that a Yankees fan I see sitting on the counter? Nice costal scene looks very cold you
captured it well. I particularly enjoy the tree.

Ai:
Well done blueberry cheesecake looks delicious. Well done.

Sylwia:
Well done seagull... Although I do like your sketch I cant same the same about seagulls.. I have a deep
seated dislike for them. I had one steal an ice cream out of my hand one day when walking along the beech.
If I could have caught him I would have thrown him in a stew but he was too quick.

brianvds:
Great sketch and substitute. Like the trivia info. What jumped out at me was the nightshade family. Nightshade
has a lot of plants and vegetable that are poisonous. I know this because I had some purple night shade in my yard
and as it turns out I was allergic to it and broke out in a rash worse than position ivy. Cute sayin on knowledge vs wisdom.

#2Flower ... done in ink + wc wash ... I picked up these specimen from the lawn of my workplace.

h56_ThongKwao_a.jpg

h56_ThongKwao_b.jpg

#3 sub. Window with the other "W"ater Hyacinth.... done in directwatercolor ... I found these in a small water container planter in our park, which is easy for me to observe them and sketch them up close ... In nature, they are floating in canal, pond, river... in bulk can block and become nuisance waterway.

h56_WaterHyacinth_a.jpg

h56_WaterHyacinth_b.jpg

Jo, thank you.

Sylwia, thanks. Nice work on the seagull. Glad you had a sculpture to work from since they don't stay still for long.

Brian, impressive sketch of the tomatoes and the leaves. I appreciate your problem with the smudging. I rarely sketch just in pencil since I love color too much. Too bad the fixative made the paper look transparent.

Paul, I thought the bean figure on the counter in the coffee shop had either a Yankee or Met logo on the hat, but later on closer inspection I found out it had CB on it for the name of the place (Cool Beans).

Ai, those flowers are such a wonderful color. Mother Nature has nice color choices. Pretty water hyacinths!

Last edited:
Sylwia, thank you. I love your sweet seagul. Very well done and a super shadow.

Brian, it is interesting what to do to save sketches. I rarely sketch in graphite or charcoal .. I get it everywhere. Pastel dust I don't mind, maybe because I like it so much I overlook the mess. Pan Pastels are not so dusty, but require tools to use and I'm lazy. Ha. Love the idea of the tomatoes. The leaves and branches are beautiful. Too many choices......

Ai, gorgeous flowers and color. Not many flowers around here except commercially.

Paul, thanks. I like the idea of you stopping by. I always think the knives and box cutters, etc., look so dangerous. I've had some bad cuts on my hands with kitchen knives, even table knives! I'm pretty careful finally after all these years.

Thanks, Joan. Happy sketching.

I sketched on the porch. It was pretty nice, about 62 degrees, then the wind started so very uncomfortable. My iPad was handy, used the odd shaped brushes and my fingers and Apple pencil in the app, Brushes.
Number 7, outside - the spot where the trailer sat. We took the trailer to Arizona to our grand nephew.

csshfl56outside7.jpg

Last edited:
brianvds: Great sketch and substitute. Like the trivia info. What jumped out at me was the nightshade family. Nightshade
has a lot of plants and vegetable that are poisonous. I know this because I had some purple night shade in my yard
and as it turns out I was allergic to it and broke out in a rash worse than position ivy. Cute sayin on knowledge vs wisdom.

Indeed, a large family with many poisonous members, and many food plants - potatoes belong to the same family, and are poisonous when uncooked.

Nice watercolour sketches AI. Thank you for sharing photos of this wonderful plants.

I have a deep seated dislike for them. I had one steal an ice cream out of my hand one day when walking along the beech.
If I could have caught him I would have thrown him in a stew but he was too quick.
:) I don't have any seagulls in my surrounding but pigeons. They horrible as well. Thankfully in most of European cities is forbidden to feed them.

Bad news: the fixative renders the pages partially transparent, so that the sketch on the other side shows through!
Some fixatives can make the paper surface transparent for example the Multifunctional Schmincke Aerospray B72.

#4 double ... two chairs at the hospital waiting area .... went there for a check-up

h56_Chairs.jpg

#5 sub. "mountain", with "mixer" ... a cement mixer truck was delivering a load to my neighbor's renovation project, about 20 min. in directwatercolor

h56-mixer.jpg

Hi Brian and Sylwia and whoever is reading.

Thanks, Paul. Way back in 2006 or 07 we were in Silver City, New Mexico, for the summer. I practiced trees for a couple of months. Helped a lot.

Ai, I like your double chairs, simple lines but lots of form and detail. Fun to have a big truck for a mountain! Fun item!

I sketched at the dining table in the ArtStreet sketchbook with Zig Millennium 05 pens. Tried to put on white letters with a gel pen, but I didn't have the blue solid enough.
Number 8, yogurt

csshfl56yogurt8.jpg

Jo: Thanks so much .... Love your trees and the two colorful yummy yogurt.

Jo -Nice hatching on sleeve. Like both coffee shop drawings. I do envy your ability to draw direct in pen. Will simply say great job on the potatoes. Great hatching and line work on the blade and hand. Nice view of your studio. Well done digi tree.

Joan - You amaze with every post So much detail painted or implied in such small works. Great textures on the tree.

Ai - Yum. Blueberry cheesecake Looks delicious. Nicely painted. Always enjoy peaks into your culture and flora. Beautifully painted. Love the abstract feel to the cement truck.

Paul - Nice set of pen sketches. I especially like the shading assume you are using the water pen. Works beautifully.

Sylwia - Beautifully drawn seagull.

Brian - Sorry for problems for with the fixative. Rarely use it for graphite. Mostly use it fir pastel or color pencil. Nice set of sketches despite your problems.

Keep sketching
Joe

Jo, thanks. Your outdoor digital sketch came out great! I'll have to check out the programs for something to use on my iPad. Your yogurt containers came out good. I'll have to sketch one of the yogurts that Jerry has for breakfast.

Paul & Sylwia, I like looking at seagulls and pigeons, but they cause a lot of problems and make things dirty. They do make nice looking subjects.

Ai, nice lines on the two chairs you sketched! Like always it is good to be able to sketch while waiting. Nice direct watercolor of the cement truck.

Joe, thanks for that nice comment.

Hi, Robin!

7 - ruler - Sketch & Wash pencil
8 - thumb
IMG_1786.jpeg

9 - automobile (sub for airplane) - watercolors and ink
10 - narrow lamp post
11 - windows

IMG_1784.jpeg

12 - outside - watercolors and ink

IMG_1782.jpeg

I took my car to our local carwash place... They have a small corner of an English garden with some animal garden sculptures. So I did a quick sketch of about 30 min. in total. ... I wish they kept the plants in better shape.... and guess what I had forgotten to bring my watercolor palette... just had some pens and a small brush with me .... Anyway, I enjoy my mini sketch session.

#6 "a" .. sub. With animals aka. duck sculptures
#7 "r" ...sub. with rabbit sculpture
#8 "s" ... sub. with statues
#9 "k" ... sub. with kale
20230208_091659.jpg

20230208_091723.jpg

20230208_093928.jpg

Last edited:
Got busy again this week. Yesterday I got a walk but just quickly drew a cliff ( tried to start with darks... it didn't work... was hoping for one of those drawings with lots of black where the negative space shows something of the subject ). Today not much of a walk but at least got out of the house. I just sat down and drew what was right in front of me: rocks of course!

Enjoying all the sketches very much.

Got busy again this week. Yesterday I got a walk but just quickly drew a cliff ( tried to start with darks... it didn't work... was hoping for one of those drawings with lots of black where the negative space shows something of the subject ). Today not much of a walk but at least got out of the house. I just sat down and drew what was right in front of me: rocks of course!

Enjoying all the sketches very much.
I understand you totally ... some of my days ...time and energy just get almost none.

Hey, Robin.

Joan, thanks. Digi always takes longer. I like yogurt but also like something to "chew". I like your thumb and ruler. Good shading. Your scene with the brick on the building, car and lamppost is so good. You can see the curtains and reflections. Wow! I like the way you did the shutters and bushes on the yellow house. Good stuff!!

Ai, what a fun bunch of items to find at a car wash. The sculptures are great and the curly cues for the kale is fun.

Hi there, NedL. Life gets in the way of art sometimes. Nice to get out and walk.

Today is dentist checkup for me. They've been working on implants. Not sure if it is worth it at my age. Lots of money and time. I'll take my sketchbook but not promising anything. Ha.

Robin - waves.

Joan - Thumb and ruler shading is excellent. Am curious about the 2 watercolor images, they are so sharp and clear. Did you use your camera or did you scan them? Think you have mastered painting windows in watercolor,

Ai - Even your car washes are attractive in Thailand. LOL. Great finds and well done. The kale was there too?

Ned - We all have those days. I have been having them a lot so I comment more than post images. If you draw from life but it is can’t fit it in the Hunt, you can always post it in the forum.

Jo - Took my pocket sketchbook and a mechanical pencil with me to the hospital but never got a chance to draw. Good luck at the dentist.

Keep sketching
Joe

#1 flower - a yellow rose. Pocket sketchbook and a .5 mm mechanical penci. Pretty sure it is HB.

9BAF8F5A-D356-4F5C-8925-59DCD6A5C761.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

edited: never ceases to amaze how errors come out when you see it posted online. 😂

Last edited:
Joe: Yes, the carwash's owner loves her garden ... she had a few kales growing in big canvas sacks at the corner of her deserted English garden... lol

I think I had sketches two "S" for "Sweet" and "Statue"...So I adjust my number to be one less.
This morning I went to the hospital for a follow up of a vaccine. En route, I had my breakfast at a small rice poridge shop with some plants there.. Luckily no one was in-line to take my table.... So I had this mini set done in 15 min.

#9 "L" with a leaf -- pencil + wc
#10 "T" with a terracotta pot-- directwatercolor
#11 "P" with a plant -- directwatercolor

h56-Leave-Plant-terracottaPot-b.jpg

h56-Leave-Plant-terracottaPot.jpg

Back