Scavenger Hunt from Life #39: Sep 20 - Sep 28

Ned: Beautiful aloe and a cute cup ... now I start to think, we have a few pot of aloe in front of our house too... I can used them for my cacti ...

I'll post my sketches first, then return with comments:

graphite, printer paper

10. sketchbook
11. sweet apple
12. candy - deluxe chocolate bar
13. (poorly drawn) steps
14. donkey tail/burro tail plant - https://worldofsucculents.com/common-names/burros-tail/ - (sub for a cactus) in a clay monster plant pot I made

hunt39-02.jpg

Cheers,

Jo - thank you. Good office chairs. Your bubble wrap is trying to leap out of the box. How was the in-person pastel event?
Ai - that's some skyline! Well done! That looks like some sort of drumstick in that game kiosk your girls were inside? Love those two sumo guys. And thank you. Imagine a cormorant in a regular park! Wow!
ntl - great chair. As for Atkins, when I hear people talk about "Keto" diet I think (hmmm, sounds like Atkins) Oh yay bridge over a stream :) Good aloe.
Joan - love the reds behind your colourful plants And thank you. I rode in a truck similar to that yellow Chevy :)
Angela - hello! How fun to use some new art supplies :)
joe1lt - lovely orchid!

Jo, thanks for the list. Glad that dental work is behind you. Good Micron sketches. I have my own collection of sketches from waiting rooms. Helps the time pass more quickly. Thanks for your comments about the oil paint.

Ai, those teeth are bizarre, but okay, also special. Nice ink work on the dryers. That cake is making me hungry! The sumo men are really interesting.

Terri, hello.

Joe, nice ink work on your sketchbook and brush.

Joan, thanks! your watercolors are lovely, as usual. I like the flag in the first one. Fun truck!

ntl, good brush pen. I don't eat cake either, but we can look. Nice work on the perspective of the chair. Your path looks inviting.

EP, I especially like the binder clip. And the sketchbook.

joe1lt, beautiful orchid and pear.

#2 "box"
Student oil paint on dollar store canvas. About 30 minutes. I tried my new bargain paints instead of the garage sale paints. They feel about the same thickness to me. I also really don't enjoy painting on canvas. I prefer panels or paper. But I'll soldier on with the dollar store canvas for now, until I'm more familiar with the paint. I have medium, but when I was reading about oil painting, it seemed simpler to me to start learning without and then add it later. I have both odorless mineral spirits and linseed oil, and I think I have a basic idea about when to use each.
20220926 oil practice (Custom).png

joe1lt, beautiful flowing lines for the orchid flower. Nice hatching on the pears. Looks good to eat.

ntl, I like the aloe and cup. Good for my collection.

eyepaint, Never heard of that plant. Fun pot. Nifty!! Candy sounds so good. I like the corner of the sketchbook and your sweet apple (Love to paint apples) Your steps look like mine would. Not bad actually.

Angela, always fun to try new things. Nice work. Makes me want a cinnamon sucker. I have some around here someplace.....

The Austin Pastel Society Paint Around:

cspaint-alan.jpg
csjs.jpg
cspaint-still.jpg

I was disappointed. They didn't do the fun thing and paint on each others painting. They just each painted for an hour. It was still fun to see the artists and guests. The paintings were great. They had a silent auction to raise money for the scholarship fund. I bid on the middle painting and "won it" as they always say instead of buying it. Ha. The artist is Joycelyn Schedler from Bastrop.

Ai, good quick sketch of the cormorant. I like your shoe sketch too.

Nti, thank you. Nice sketch with the pen & wash. It is a great way to work without fussing over details. Your aloe plant came out nice! No cactus around here for me to sketch. I'll have to find a substitute.

Jo, thanks. Your pastel project sounds like a fun idea. I'd like to see the finished pieces. I'm disappointed to hear they didn't paint on each other's pieces. It is still a nice way to raise money for charity.

Joe, nice substitution and good sketches.

EP, thanks. I love your batch of sketches. I read "donkey tail" and was wondering where you found an animal. lol

Angela, I'm not crazy about painting on canvas either. Your altoid can came out really good. Love the placement near the brush...they go well together.

Hopefully I will get my act together here and have something to post soon. Too much to distract me lately.

Angela, I wonder if it's the texture of the canvas. That looks pretty coarse. I don't like the course canvas either. Many oil painters paint 2 or more coats of gesso on canvas to make it smoother, and sand between each. but for that rough stuff, it didn't do enough for me. Maybe try a better quality, smoother canvas and gesso. You may have to purchase it on line.
I don't use any solvents, and just walnut oil to thin my paints.
Many bargain paints have fillers in them, rather than more pigment. Some seem to have an excess of oil, too, that some people sop up with a bit of paper towel.
For the difficulty with the canvas, your piece is well done.

ntl, interesting sub. Is it a ski boot? Well sketched.

Out on the porch, where else? In the Canson watercolor sketchbook with Ohuhu pen and watercolors.
#6 paintbrush - several in the giant cup
I sketched in pencil and then the watercolor then the ink. I wish I had sketched in ink first and then put watercolor .. my preferred method.

csshfl39paintbrush.jpg

Last edited:
Joan, I'm just trying to do small sketches and use the whole dollar store canvas, although I can tell I'd be happier if I was working larger.

ntl, thanks! I'm enjoying your pen + wash technique. I've been painting with acrylics since the '80s. Only the oil paint is new to me. I painted on stretched canvas for a long time before I realized there were alternatives. I really like the alternatives better. Gesso and sanding would also help, I'm sure. Should I buy walnut oil? What makes it better/different from linseed? I use mineral spirits with oil pastels, so I have that here, anyway.

I gessoed some cardboard over a year ago. I was going to paint Christmas ornaments, but I never did. I might dig those out - although they're small, like the dollar store canvases. I've been thinking about stretching and gessoing some paper - bought gummed tape to stretch the paper - but I haven't done it yet. That would allow me to work larger without buying a lot of new stuff.

Jo, lovely mug sketch.

Hi artbuddies, love all the sketches

Not everyday one has a view of giant colored teeth...... thought ntl’s boot was a fluffy yoga mat....guess got kinda goofy from supersized teeth.....

anyway, good work everyone...spot on Chevy truck Joan

hi, you all did a wonderful job, I am reviewing both the new additions and the draws that I had already seen, beautiful works in every media
thanks for the nice words
i made these today.

3 candy, a package of candy started
4 cup, cup with spoon the substitute
5 sweet, the paper, the package of 2 very good and sweet chocolate wafers, so they are not there that I ate them, but I designed the package
6 made of pear, garnet, but small and split,

1/2
2022-09-28 09-52.jpg

1/2 paper a5 pen

nti, what kind of boot is that? Interesting look with the ink wash.

Jo, I like your colorful mug with the brushes.

Robin, thanks. Good to see ya!

Joe, nice lines on your sketches. I would eat everything that was in the wrappers. lol

Hi everyone 👋

I'm sorry to barge in like this after disappearing for sooooo long.

But I just went into a shockey panic attack — just when I thought Florida was safe (from the previous hurricane) I just saw a picture of one I hadn't heard of and it looks like it is right over Joe and his wife and it looks gigantic and I'm freaking out.

Has anyone heard from him?

Please, is he okay???

Please be okay
Please be okay
Please be okay

(this is Pine Cone)

Jo, Nice giant cup and brushes and knives
Joe, I especially like the split pear. We have two pear trees. Maybe I can get a couple to draw.

That boot is a sequential compression boot.

Excellent sketches you all: Joe1 and EP on a roll, Jo on wonderful pastel outing... That pastel lady painting is gorgeous...Jo...If I ever make it near you... we sure is gonna have the pastel round robin dual ...lol. wonderful paint brush too...NTL cool boot... I thought so too that it looks like Yoga mat roll... , Angela... happy to see your new media experimenting. Robin, Joan, PineCone: Hello. I hope Joe is doing OK too. PineCone: It is OK... don't panic.

Jo: Thanks for hosting this Hunt.

Well I could not post the new Hunt yesterday as I experienced the Creastivespark's web-site outtage. I will go post the next Hunt soon, after this.

Hi everyone 👋

I'm sorry to barge in like this after disappearing for sooooo long.

But I just went into a shockey panic attack — just when I thought Florida was safe (from the previous hurricane) I just saw a picture of one I hadn't heard of and it looks like it is right over Joe and his wife and it looks gigantic and I'm freaking out.

Has anyone heard from him?

Please, is he okay???

Please be okay
Please be okay
Please be okay

(this is Pine Cone)
I heard from Joe before the storm. They were hunkered down. Praying for them.

Back