Scavenger Hunt from Life #39: Sep 20 - Sep 28

Ai, amazing cake. You did that soooo well. Looks yummy.

Joe, oh, look at your paintbrush. You do such great drawing and now hatching.

EP, your sketches are my smile today ... as usual. Cever silver and shoe. My new printer is a Brother, I really like it so far. Glass cup, nice!

Thanks all of you.

Sketched today at Gene's eye doctors, where they have the round ceiling stuff. Same old plants lately in all the offices. Something like aloe vera so subbed for cactus.
Number 3, cactus
Number 4, chair in the Ohuhu sketchbook with Micron 03
Behind the chairs are eyeglasses in the eyeglass dept, not a building outside. Lol...

csshfl39cactus.jpg

Today we all went into the midle city of Bangkok to meet up with our family good friends...So I got a few chances with a few minutes to spare for sketching

#4 skyline

h39_skyline.jpg

#5 sub. storefront with the drumming arcade game kiosk which Iris and Lily were playing with

h39_irisDrumGame.jpg

#6 sub. animal with the two sumo replica men inside one of Bangkok shopping malls ... can you tell that It would be hard for me to let the sketching oppportunity passing by with these two chubby serious looking gentlemen

h39_sumo_a.jpg

h39_sumo_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, what fun to get to share your trip to town. Such a huge city. Wow! Good quick sketches, too.

I did a quick one on the porch with a Micron 3 in the Art Street sketchbook
Number 5, box - with bubble wrap

csshfl39box.jpg

please delete repeated post

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6817.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6817.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 72
Ai, thanks!

Eyepaint, I recognize some of your items: the raggedy brush and binder clip, esp. Good work on all of them. Both waterbrushes are Pentel, from Japan. The cap snaps off, the brush part loosens counter clock wise. I refused to buy the other one, I have enough things to remember, that how to open the darned brush was one I chose to not deal with. :) .

Yes, Atkins ‘72 is the original Atkins weight loss plan.

Ai, your sketches are wonderful! I love your buildings/skyscrapers! The drum game is marvelous, and the sumo wrestlers are fantastic! Just wow!

Jo, terrific box, wonderful representation of bubble wrap!

Joe, thanks. I hope looking at my sketches helps. It is hard to go from pencil lines to directly in ink, especially for something architectural. Some artists put little dots of ink where the corners of buildings and things are to help lay out the scene. Going in directly in watercolor was even harder. I think lighthouses are like America's castles. People just love them. Nice job on the paint brush. With all the brushes I have around here. you would think I'd have done that item already. lol

5 - colorful flowers - direct watercolor (Olish Farmstead)
6 - storefront
IMG_0890.jpeg

EP, nice collection of sketches. I like your cup with the teabag inside and the comfy looking shoe. I read your question to nil about the treads on the water brush. I had one with the treads going the other way and I would fight with it every time I wanted to use it. lol

nil, nice work on your chair...looks comfortable.

Today I went to a car show and ended up sketching a Chevy truck belonging to my friend's dad. She saw me arrive and commissioned me to paint it.
IMG_0894.jpeg

7 - special classic car - watercolors and ink

I have been soooooo busy with my non-art freelance work. I haven't even looked at anyone's lovely sketches - hope I can get back here and do that. But I "broke the seal" and did my first oil painting.
#1 paint brush, oil paint on dollar store canvas (8x10), 25 minutes.
20220924_144657 (Small).jpg

I got these paints at a garage sale, and they seem pretty thick. Since I'm new to the medium, I'm not sure whether they're a normal thickness or not. My brush got wider than it should be because I had trouble controlling the paint. I've got some new student grade ones, so maybe I'll try those next time.

Hello, good-bye, back to work . . . .

Amy: So cool get to play along with new tools... fun

Joan: Thanks. Wonderful plants and the Chevy is a super wowza, esp. the grill... congrats on the sale. How big is the size of the Chevy piece.

ntl/Ned: Thanks. Nice chair...inspiring pencil shading...Pls. let me know if I mispell your name "Ned".

Jo: Thank. Nice four chairs and box with bubble wraps... You know me, Miss Foodies... I thought of those bubble wraps like yummy popcorns.

Joe: Thanks. Hello, glad you can join in with some nice items.

EP: Thanks. Inspiring pencil works too... love the clip, shoe, and the boxes... all are great bundle set.

Angela, your brush came out great! Love to see what else you will do as you master the medium.

Ai, thanks. The Chevy piece is only 5 x 7. I didn't have any larger paper with me that wasn't in a sketchbook. My friend loved it. They take the car and her dad to a lot of local car shows. He's probably in his 90s and he sits next to the car in a chair. He can barely take a few steps but he loves socializing with all the people who stop by.

We went to exercise at a park today ... saw a cormorant bird and tried to jot him down ...
#6b animal -- a cormorant bird at a park
#7 shoe

h39_bird_shoe.jpg

Joan the flowers are wonderful, and I love the truck.
Amy, best wishes with your oil painting!
Ai, I take it that's your shoe! Good job. Good job on the bird, too. That (to me) was quite a piece of luck.

path pen and water 4x5.5 on strathmore drawing paper. I may like using pen/wash for a while. I can't get too fussy, too detailed. That may be a really good thing for me.

thumbnail_IMG_6821.jpg

Thanks everyone.....

ntl, wow, such good perspective on the chair. So difficult for me. You aced it. Nice loose path with the wash. I should try that.

Joan, beautiful flowers for colorful. Mmmm. The pickup is super and true to life. You are the ace in watercolor and pen.

Angela, amo, how fun to try a pit of oil paint. Some brands are thicker and folks thin with a medium of some sort. You could paint with a palette knife with the thick ones without thinning.

Ai, it is easy for me to always think of food as well. That bubble wrap is the big one, each bubble is about an inch and a half wide. Would be more marshmallow size. Ha. Cool to find a cormorant bird. We've had a few here passing through. Nice shoe, too.

We are having an actual live and in person pastel meeting today!! It will be warm, they are having it outside but I'm so happy to go. They have a paint around where there are five artists. Each one starts a painting and paints for 10 minutes. Move to the next painting and paint for 10 minutes. The last 10 minutes is on the painting they started to "clean" it up. Then they auction them to raise funds for our scholarship program. Always fun to see what happens to the original idea. 5 different artists and styles.

Back later....

Jo: Thanks... It sounds fun and interesting about 5 artists sharing time on the same piece of work for charity. Best of luck.

Joe1: Thanks. ... Lovely orchids and pear sketches.

Jo, thanks. Your round-robin paint event does sound like fun! I trust it went well.
Your orchids and pears are nice. I like the values on the darker pear.

Back