Scavenger Hunt from Life #22: Apr 28 - May 6

Joe 1, thanks for your comment! Good digital of your snack. How are you liking your iPad? I have to get a new one soon. Mine is so outdated I can't update any of my apps and some of them don't work for me at all.

joe1lt, thanks. Tasty looking banana!

Joan, the paper is just as textured on the other side. I'm sure somebody would love it, but I don't. I have done many sketches in waiting and exam rooms. They seem to make the wait shorter one way or another (either because actually shorter or time passes more quickly). Also, I find that it lowers my blood pressure. That watercolors and ink piece with the house is spectacular! Glad that you're able to get out and about.

I guess I found something to do with the paper I don't like. I am not very familiar with oil pastels, but they seem to work okay on this paper, and it will be fun to experiment. I tried Neocolor II, but the paper didn't cooperate with even the tiniest amount of water.
#2 Something you keep in your purse. Extra car key because (a) I've locked my keys in my car a couple of times (in a decade) and (b) I also managed to bend a car key opening my trunk one time. It's still got the tag from last time I had it in the shop. Oil pastel and colored pencil, about 30 minutes. 6 x 8 inches.
20220430_193348 (Small).jpg

Joan: Wow... fantastic art works. I'm with Joe1, can't decide my fav. They are all outstanding.

Angela: Thanks. Love your OP experiment. The key came out great.

Joe1: Super cute digi. banana....

Joan,Angela, Ai, thank you, happy that you liked the drawing. Joan, about the iPad, Initially I was in doubt about buying or whether to think about the PC, but over the days I like iPad, I like to draw, read it, I find it nicer drawing on iPad, I create than the PC, I like to see the hand while drawing, it's more comfortable, as well as the computer didn't make me draw anymore or .thank. Angela ,wonderful job, i like it. like colours and how 3d looks

It's a cardboard box with cookies, it was actually empty. From life, inclination of objects often sends me into difficulty. I was thinking now, maybe drawing the table, or making more measurements. It happens to me even when I draw the objects and figurines, leaning on my left, a little raised.

Draw something cute

Done several times, I had coloured it all, but by mistake I cancelled the rescue where it ended up. However, it didn't go well I'm trying brushes, it's something I tried the most, this time colouring brushes, I don't know the direction that the strokes must have when those.

Joe, in the last hunt you asked how to refill the micron pens. Here is a video that someone posted about it. Hope this works.

Will be back shortly to see the recent sketches. I wanted to post this before I lost it.

Angela, thanks so much. Super sketch of the spare key done with oil pastels. Glad you found a medium that works on the textured paper you have. Nice!!

Ai, many thanks.

Joe 1, I'm glad you are happy with your iPad purchase. Good container from the cookies. I hope they were good...I would enjoy a cookie right now. Cute sketch of Eeyore!!

6 - has more than two legs (bench) - watercolors
IMG_9968.jpeg

7 - makes me smile (pink trees) - watercolors
IMG_9966.jpeg

8 - something cute (crocheted bears at the outdoor market) - ink
IMG_9970.jpeg

Thanks for the list Joe, some good prompts there and some super responses already - great to see the work from Ai, ntl, Joe1it, Angela, Joan, Eyepaint.

I've been busy painting but not art oriented unfortunately. We took a fancy to decorate the bathrooms (1 large and 1 wee one - if you'll excuse the pun ;)) and it has taken far longer than expected. Now done and all cleaned up, it was worth it but aching in every muscle - guess I need to remember my body is not the age my brain is stuck at! Hopefully a day resting will give me the energy to pick up a brush or pencil.

Sue, your kind of painting is very satisfying too. Hope you get to do some sketching soon.

9 - a snack - oil pastels
IMG_9973.jpeg

10 - starts with the last letter of my last name T (teabag) - oil pastels
IMG_9972.jpeg

11 - has a zipper - ink
IMG_9974.jpeg

12 - related to what I do (art) - ink
IMG_9976.jpeg

Thanks, Everyone. Feeling a little rushed today - lots to do - so I'll refrain from commenting much right now, although it's fun that you got your oil pastels out, too, Joan :)
I'm enjoying my oil pastels, although obviously I have much to learn.
#3 something blue, oil pastel, about 30 minutes, 6x8 inches
20220502_112554edit (Small).jpg

Well, I'm slow but sure. Everything is OK, just lazy and going to baseball. The team played so well and now is sort of fizzling out at a bad time. Oh, well.

I'm behind and this will be long, but such it is:

Ai, the flowers in the glass are beautiful. Thanks for showing the real things. The vegetable garden restaurant sounds wonderful, I like the painting of the lotus row. Your lunch looks amazing. (Even if you had to cook .... evil grin!)

ntl, the little bag is a great color and I bet handy. Crayons are hard for me.

joe1lt, what a cute orange Minion. Mmmm, the banana looks like it hit the spot. Reminds me of the old cartoons where a person steps on a banana peel and goes flying and falling. Your cookies in a box, yummy. Oh, the box was empty. Ha. I love the Eyeore, he is cute. It always takes me longer to sketch digitally.

Joan, you definitely found a strange tool. Great drawing of the machine. The beach front scene with the cattails and power lines is fun. The restaurant sketch is so great. Sounds like a fun place to eat and sketch. Thanks on the idea to fill the microns. I'm going to see if you can push the nib out, I always wear them off before I run out of ink. Have you sketched the Sweet Tomato before? I like that a lot. The tree is beautiful. Nice scene with the bears and customers. Yummy snack and challenge with the oil pastels. Tea bag is clever. Cute zipper bag and the related art items.

EP, I like the marker drawing of your light, bright, orange, etc. Well done. Form without much shading is hard. And ... love the plant.

Angela, the lunch bag sketch is great. Hard when the paper/surface is not great for the medium. The key story is a good one. Nice job on the drawing, too. Cool blue tape.

I sketched at the car dealers, the computer on the car is acting up. I told them it should have a restart like a table top computer or a reset button. We had to leave it overnight.
Number 1, made of glass, the wall between the waiting area and the showroom.
Number 2, more than 2 legs - Gene's walker has 4 legs for the wheels to attach and his legs, right?
Both in the 9 x 12 sketchbook with a Micron 2.

csshfl22glass.jpg

csshfl22legs.jpg

EP - Nice composition of 5 items. LOVE watching a work in progress evolve. The plant is great and was interesting to watch it grow.

Angela - like how you portrayed the soft texture of the lunch bad with wavy contour lines. Nicely done! If texture is that coarse have you tried charcoal? Although oil pastels seems to like it. Well done on key. And story made me smile. Rolls of tape are nicely done with great ellipses!

Joan- my first thought looking at ‘something light’ was “Dang that looks like Richmond Hill.” Of course I ignored the beach grasses . But the house style and power lines really took me back Thanks!
Do you do power lines with pen or brush? Love the story behind the restaurant sketch. 👍🏽
Thanks for video!
People sitting outside Sweet Tomato add so much life and interest to the painting.
Great zipper impression on bag!

Joe1 - cool digi sketch of banana snack. Oh I can relate on brushes. More than once I started to draw on iPad and ended up up spending hours “playing” with different brushes looking at various effects.

Jo - Great use of time. Love Gene's feet and walker?

Keep sketching
Joe

I went out to sketch at my local temple, taking the advantages of the blooming flame tree there, luckily there is a small cafe nearby that overlook the temple ground... so I sit there with my drink in a shade and sketch away...

#3 has orange color -- the Thai temple roof -- directwatercolor
h22_orangeInIt_a.jpg

h22_orangeInIt_b.jpg

#4 illustrate a song "Simple Gift". It sure is a simple gift for me just to have some time to sketch the local blooming scenery

h22_IllustrateAsong_SimpleGift.jpg

h22_IllustrateAsong_SimpleGift_b.jpg

#5 blue -- I simplify the front side of the temple... The full blown Thai architecture and patterns is beyond me...

h22_Blue_A.jpg

h22_Blue_b.jpg

#6 Relating to what I do as an artist

h22_PartOfMeDoing.jpg

Jo: Thanks for your kind words... Love your more than two legs sketch. The tall glass wall is very nice too.

Angela: Cool blue tape in OP.

Joan: Thanks. Wonderful Tomato restaurant, and beautiful spring flower. The blue water bay is very nice too. Love your OP grape.

Joe1: Cool digi and super cute Eaor...

Angela, your blue painter's tape done with the OPs looks great! I have no idea how to work with OPs and should learn a bit.

Jo, glad to see you posting. Yes, I have sketched Sweet Tomato before. It is one of those buildings that calls out to be sketched. I like your sketch at the dealership. Luckily you were prepared to sketch. Good job on the walker with Gene's leg included.

Joe, you are right that the house looks similar to those in Richmond Hill...same basic style with added grasses and a bit more space between the houses.LOL I usually do power lines with a pen...I don't get a taut enough line with a brush. I once asked back on WetCanvas in the WC forum what people used and got all kinds of answers. Maybe if I stood and did a really sweeping movement with my whole arm a brush would work. The people and the light are what attracted me to do the Sweet Tomato when I was in Sag Harbor. Thanks for looking so closely.

Ai, I love the vibrancy of the colors in the sketch of the temple and the landscape! Glad you had such a comfortable place to sit and sketch the views. I like the blue rendition of the temple. Oh...what a cute, fuzzy bunny!

Thank you all for the nice words. Joan, Angela Ai, I, it's wonderful what you posted. I really like it. Joe, yes some brushes are stronge,beautiful, curious to try them.

Back