Scavenger Hunt from Life #22: Apr 28 - May 6

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!

*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required

Scavenger Hunt from Life #22: Apr 28 - May 6
Reprint of Scavenger Hunt #298: Jan 8, 2013 -Jan 16, 2013 by m50paul

Draw something that has zipper
Draw something you can keep in your pocket/purse/wallet
Draw something blue
Draw something related to what you do
Draw something forbidden
Draw the condiments on a diner or casual restaurant table
Draw something with numbers
Illustrate a line from a song
Draw something that has a knob
Draw something you look up at from below
Draw something very light
Draw your junk drawer
Draw something with more than two legs
Draw something slippery
Draw a snack
Draw something you can tie
Draw something cute
Draw something bright
Draw a table
Draw something strange
Draw a bottle of water/liquid
Draw something orange
Draw something that makes you smile
Draw something made of glass
Draw a camera
Draw Something that starts with the last letter of your name.

challenge 1 A new media for you
2 Work in a different style from your normal style
3 Use a mixed media combination that is creatively you

Joe: Thanks for the new list.

I just did this at the local cafe earlier today... done in directwatercolor in my giant Moleskine aqualelle book about 45 minutes...

#1 sub. drawing condiments at a casual diner with drawing/painting plastic flowers at our local cafe.... It sure does lift up my spirit, even though they were just plastic poppy flowers.

h21_flower_2a.jpg

h21_flower_2b.jpg

Last edited:
Ai - So spring like. Definitely spirit lifting. Like how you did the vase with shadows and highlights.

Keep sketching
Joe

Having our dinner at a shabu (hot pot) place in our neighborhood orchard. The last time we were here was 8 years ago. The owner has done wonderful organics expansion of the orchard into a nice green shabu place. The owner converts his veggie orchard ( in the middle of Bangkok west side) into a hotpot place. You can pick some veggies from the plot, to put in your shabu. The staff will wash the veggies you pick for you... :) Today the food came too fast ...so I could not finish my sketch. I attach a photo to show you the shabu set up in this orchard. This is a rare place in the metro city of Bangkok.

#2 make me smile ... unfinished sketch of a lotus row, done in directwatercolor in my giant Moleskine aquarelle book, about 20 minutes

h22_makeMe_smiles_a.jpg

h22_makeMe_smiles_b.jpg

h22_makeMe_smiles_c.jpg

AiArts, How nice. Your lunch sounds like a pleasant experience.

Here'e my first, my little bag has FOUR zippers! Neocolor II crayons + water.

thumbnail_IMG_6694.jpg

.Joe thanks Very muttch , ai, ntl, beautiful start.

Ai, it looks like a beautiful restaurant. The vase pf flower is to be framed, the second work is also beautiful. I made a drawing but I have to learn to publish drawings and write fewer mistakes. Using iPad. In the wildlife animal forum I had published drawings. I publish it tomorrow, I wasn't drawing that I'm quarantined, covid, but I'm better, I'm fine after the first 3 days. But some of my family members also have it. This was much worse than knowing that I had it too. Mom in the last year she got sick and now she had to do a second cycle of treatment that she is postponing. He's reacting well anyway.

Joe - thanks for the new list
Ai - gasp! So lovely - the flowers in the vase! Ah another lovely study of the lotus row. But how to sketch when there is food!
ntl - awww fun little green bag
joe1lt - awwww Minion :)

Ai, I love the sketch of the plastic flowers in the vase on the table. How fun that the restaurant has an area where they are growing things...nature in the middle of the city. That is quite a lunch feast!! I can understand why you stopped sketching when the food arrived.

nti - I like your little bag with the zippers. Bags like that come in handy.

Joe 1, super job on the brightly colored minion!

Jerry had another eye doctor appointment. I did a digital sketch of one of the machines in the office. It looked something like a microscope but a lot longer and at a different angle.
1 - something strange - ArtRage
IMG_9938.jpeg

Aii - an orchard growing food in the middle of the city is super cool. Looking at photos I had two thoughts. First is how cool it is and second is how hungry it makes me! Thanks,

Ntl - Neat little bag. Never tried neocolor. Like that they can be blended with water yet keep the drawn marks.

Joe1 - Neat digi of minion! Looks like you had some fun even while not feeling your best.

Joan - That looks like the machine they use to measure lenses. Like if you bring in OTC readers they will check the actual strength. Has to be a good drawing if I can recognize it.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joan - great job drawing the eye doctor instrument. Looks a bit like a cannon :) (the item, not the drawing)

Here are sketches for this hunt. Ink and marker, 5x8" page.
1. bright - emergency light
2. light - white gel pen
3. orange - marker
4. (plexi) glass clipboard
5. cute - tiny spoon (sugar spoon? For stirring in old china teacups?) - drawn beside a giant serving spoon for size reference.

Sorry - forgot to include shadows in my drawing - bad artist :(

hunt22-01.jpg

An update on my plant:

hunt21-04.jpg

Cheers,

Thank you, Joe, Joan, NTL, EP, Joe1 for your kind comments of my sketches.

Joe1: I love seeing your cute character sketch. The digi work comes out great and fun. Your health and your family health will be in my prayers.
EP: Love the still-life set of all colorful goodies sketch. The potplant is sure in very happy colors.

Joan: I wish Jerry speedy recovery... Great sketch of the medical apparatus. That is not easy.

NTL: Love the colorful zipper bag. Pls. share your drawing experiment with us.

Thank you very much for the beautiful people and kind thoughts. eyepaint,Joan, beautiful pieces

Joe, thanks for the new list!

Ai, your flowers lift my spirits, too.

ntl, nice bag with zippers. I have been thinking of getting my Neocolor IIs out lately, but I don't have much experience with them.

joe1lt, sorry you and your family members have been ill. I hope you all recover quickly. Your something orange is so cute!

EP, that is a cute spoon! I've enjoyed watching your plant develop.

Joan, that's a very organic looking digi. That's something I have a hard time pulling off.

#1 Something that has a zipper (insulated lunch bag). CP on paper I don't like, about 15 minutes, 6 x 8 inches.
20220429_203718 (Small).jpg

Any ideas what to use this paper for? It's too textured for my taste for colored pencil, and it won't take wet media, although I wondered about Neocolor IIs with minimal water. Maybe wax pastels? It's just a cheap sketchbook . . . .

Joan - That looks like the machine they use to measure lenses. Like if you bring in OTC readers they will check the actual strength. Has to be a good drawing if I can recognize it.
Joe, thanks for recognizing the machine. They didn't use it for Jerry so I didn't get to see it in action. He's getting tired of them measuring things and testing things in his eyes when we are there. He's make up for those 50+ years or so of never going to a doctor.

EP, I agree that it looks like a cannon. Maybe they're going to shoot his eyeball across the room. I like your collection of items sitting on the clipboard. I like tiny spoons...they make the food last longer. lol It slows down your eating. The plant is blooming right before our eyes!!! Looks great!

Joe 1, glad to hear you are feeling better. I hope the rest of the family is improving too.

Angela, you know how it is waiting in a doctor's office. If I don't pull out something to sketch on we are there for a long time. If I pull out my little sketchbook someone walks right in. I figured sketching on the phone would be ok since if I just barely start the sketch I'm not wasting paper. lol I can see how the texture of the paper shows in the sketch. Is the back of the paper just as textured? Nice sketch of the lunch bag with the zipper.

2 - something light (beach fragamite) - watercolors and ink
IMG_9960.jpeg

3 - something you look up at from below (electrical wires) - watercolors and ink
4 - something blue (water)
IMG_9957.jpeg

Yesterday a few friends and I went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see a fantastic exhibition of Winslow Homer's watercolors and oils. We spent some time looking at exhibits at the museum but not sketching there like we usually do. It was my first time back at the museum since the end of 2019. Everyone was masked and it really wasn't crowded so we felt safe. On the way home we stopped at a Japanese ramen restaurant called Takumen. It was my first time back there since before Covid. One of my friends that I was with is really careful because she is immune-compromised and it was her first time back inside a restaurant...and this is one of her favorite places. (Her husband had been doing curbside pick-up dinners from there and bringing them home.) We went early enough that it was empty and we got a table in a section with no people seated near us...but with a view of the counter and the view into the kitchen. So of course as artists we had to sketch.
5 - casual restaurant table - watercolors and ink (Ink sketch done on location and color added at home.)
IMG_9964.jpeg

Last edited:
Joan, thank you very much, you posted 3 masterpieces, I don't have a favourite, one and three a little more but it's all fantastic. 2 snack
digital

Spuntino.jpg

Back