Scavenger Hunt from Life #22: Apr 28 - May 6

Draw something forbidden , the apple ,I had done the paper bag before
2022-05-03 16-58.jpeg

Thanks Joe, definitely Gene's feet. Our daughter takes a photo of her feet when she waits for her car to be serviced so I sketched Gene's feet mainly for her.

Ai, look at the beautiful color. The temple roof and trees are super in direct watercolor. The scenery simple gift is beautiful. The blue standing alone from the temple front is a neat idea, clever. Never would guess you would sketch your watercolor stuff for your art tools. Ha. And the bunny tops it off, I like the hatching for the fur.

joe1lt, Ah ha, the forbidden apple! Very clever and very well done.

I sketched in the same sketchbook at my desk with a Pilot Ballpoint. It smeared a bit under my hand. Usually doesn't, must be the humidity. Hmmm.

Number 3, something you tie - drawstring on sunglasses bag
Number 4, something cute - Minnie, she is about 8 or 10 inches tall in a pink outfit. Hadn't seen her in ages, she was hiding behind a dog, rabbit and llamacorn. Ha.

csshfl22tie-cute.jpg

csminnie-hide.jpg

Last edited:
EE8C05B0-BCD5-42C2-8656-F47A747473C8.jpeg
EB466A1E-7C24-475E-ADCE-663E7BA3B7A9.jpeg
737CEA53-D1E5-47D1-8F44-1D454D60013A.jpeg
F26E2F90-6603-4653-89D2-D3AB9409CACA.jpeg
1BE52844-3DB1-40D4-9791-D574BBED28C8.jpeg
Snack
more than two legs- steamer
orange
glass- penguin with fish in tummy
smaile-alligator clip
first letter of last name-an ammonite fossil
in bottle- almond e tract
related to what I do - drink coffee
casual restaurant counter condiment arrangement(we go almost every morning)

Today is not Wednesday but it was for me this morning when I did the coffee pot sketch....hard to keep track of it....that’s a perk of being retired

Jo, thanks! Nice to see you and your sketches.

Joe, thanks. I don't actually own any charcoal. When I started in art, I was always drawn to color, and even though I've gone back and remediated my spotty art education to cover value, I never got around to buying any charcoal.

Ai, thanks. Beautiful watercolors. Your #5, blue, reminded me of a few of my sketches where I tried to include my Blue Willow dishes. It's tricky to convey the essence and impossible to get all the detail. Cute bunny!

Joan, thanks. I'm just making up OP techniques as I go along, although I have watched a couple of YouTube videos.

joe1lt, thanks. Good idea for "forbidden."

RobinSusan, wish I'd thought of coffee for "related to what I do." That's great! I like your paper. I had a dictionary I was taking pages out of, but I've moved a couple of times, and I've no idea what happened to it. Great sketches.

#4 Something related to what you do.
I do a lot of different things (some for profit; maybe not as much as I should), but most of the things are done at my computer, and I do a lot of typing. I keep the nail clippers right next to the keyboard because I frequently get exasperated in the middle of a project (or a sentence) and stop everything and clip all my fingernails short so they won't be in my way. Nail clippers have way too much detail for oil pastel (unless I wanted to sketch a lot bigger), so this is pencil, CP, and a little OP. 6x8 inches, about 15 minutes.

20220503_091320 (Small).jpg

Robin, I really like you sketching in the book/magazine. You did a great job. I like the coffee scene and the legs, clever. Fun to see your hatching. I'm smiling.

Angela, great drawing of the clippers with the perspective and textures. Clever idea as well. I'm smiling at you, too.

I decided on a digi so I could have color without a mess today. Took forever, probably at least an hour. On my iPad with the Apple pencil and app, Brushes.

Number 5 something you look up at from below - stuff on the hutch.

csshfl22above.jpg

Ai - Thank you once more for peek at the beauty and culture of Thailand. In the blue you may have used artist license to leave out some detail but you capture the impression the temple leaves. Nicely done. The stuffed bunny is adorable and well done. Also always fun to get a look area an artist’s palette.

Joan thanks for your answer on power lines.

Joe1 - really like how you captured multiple colors on the apple in monochrome. Well done on bag I find them very difficult.

Jo - Atta girl for letting Minnie out and capturing her portrait! Love how you used ink on the texture and shading of the sunglass bag.

Robin - Love the idea of art on recycled paper. Penguin could easily hav3 been used for cute. We have a steamer basket somewhere but never use it. Ammonite looks a lot like a nautilus. Now will have to look them up. All made me smile. Thanks!

Angela - great job on the nail clippers. Like all the textures of chain, file etc. Makes the ordinary interesting.

Jo - Fun digi!

#1 camera - multiple grades of graphite on half page in 9x12 in sketchbook. Not sure of total time but was easily over an hour as I slipped into a zone as I lended grades to captures shades of black on the camera.

C32DE642-E275-4C25-B07B-17382A8B2098.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Wow, you are all so prolific this hunt :)

Joan, Mmm, those grapes look juicy - and a cuppa for afters is perfect good find on T bag Good zipper bag and related items too.
Angela, Love the pop of the blue tape against the orangey background. Good detail on the nail clippers
Jo, Good catches while out and about - the legs made me smile. Minnie is certainly cute now she's emerged from hiding. Good digi of the wine and glasses/
Ai, Lovely sketches at the temple and I really like the simplified one using just blue. What a cute bunny, looks very cuddly.
Joe1it, Lovely sketch of apple
Robin, what a lot of items and a great idea to use up old books like that.
Joe, great work on the camera, you must have spent ages getting it that dark with graphite

Doodle type sketch on page of A4 sketch book using a couple of grades of pencil - too lazy to get up and fetch more :)

1 Related to what I do - Binoculars (which look uncannily like salt/pepper pots!) for bird watching which I spend far too much time doin, especially at this time of year when the babies are appearing.
2 Look up at - birds flying over
3 Table - one of our feeding stations
4 Last letter of my name - Egg, sadly found under one of the trees so fallen out of nest

bins birds etc.jpg

Jo, thanks. Digis take me longer, too. I like the textures on yours.

Joe, thanks. I have done those clippers for the hunt before, but it's been a long time. I love drawing metal and other reflective things - so many interesting shapes and highlights and shadows. Well done on the camera - I get into the zone and lose track of time too :)

Sue, thanks. Love your bird-themed sketches. I'm not sure I'm quick enough to draw birds in flight. Sorry about the egg :(

#5 Something you look up at from below (the view above my two monitors/computer), pencil and oil pastel, 8 x 6 inches, about 15 minutes
I think I shifted in my chair or something, because I think I messed up the perspectives. But the perspectives of the room are a little wonky also, with high sloped ceiling.
20220504_105548 (Small).jpg

Wow, Joe. You captured the black of the camera. I'm going to really dig around to find a camera. We all use our phones.

Sue, you are my kind of sketcher. I always sit down get my feet up and then don't want to get up to get a different item to sketch or tool to use! Great job on the birds. I like your table for their dinner. The egg looks small. In South America they served quail eggs at parties. Good job on the binoculars, very recognizable. I wouldn't have noticed the S&P look if you hadn't pointed it out. Ha.

Angela, your perspective is pretty good. So hard to show. I don't think my bottles look like they are as high up as they are. Looks like fun with the oil pastels. They are my nemesis. I think mine are all given away.

He he he ... great job you all, in variety of medium and subjects.
I plan to be back to comment later.

I am learning to use OP... I still find it hard to blend but I am enjoying doing some sketches with it. I so miss Triss, when I think of OP. Angela's OP sketches are inspiring. My Thai first name ends with letter 'A'.

#7 The last letter of my firstname ends with A... so I did a sketch of an apple -- done in OP, I cross-posted this with Every Day in May, project on FB.

h22_LetterA.jpg

Ai, lucious apple. You are doing Every Day in May with Katherine Tyrrell. She has always been my art encyclopedia. Have fun. Her blog has info from tools, to media, to how to and marketing. Just about anything you want to know and reviews of art shows in London, etc.

Joan and Joe, I saw the "Flavored Ice" truck yesterday so finally stopped and got some Chocolate Ice. It was very disappointing. The chocolate was just a thin syrup and sort of alcohol tasting. Not much chocolate. Maybe it was just not New York style. Ha.

Jo: Thank you. That digital set is amazing. I'm speechless.

Joe: Thank you. The camera comes out super. Wonderful shading.

Sue: Thank you. Wonderful set of pencil works. Love the bird house and binocular. I agree bird watching is super fun.

Angela: Nice take on the difficult subject like that cieling. Cool OP work for the nail clipper.

Last edited:
Sue - I miss watching the birds. When we lived up north we had a feeder in tree next to the back deck which we could watch from the dining room. Very different birds here in Florida other than Mourning Doves and house is not laid out to give a view of the yard so we miss that. Your drawings reminded us both of that. Did not see binoculars as salt and pepper shakers til I read your comment.

Angela - Great perspective! Just read an article on 2 point perspective and you are spot on.

Ai - Oil pastels seem difficult as what ever medium I use I like blending and OP do not seem to blend well . Nicely done.

Jo - Never had a chocolate Italian Ice. Cherry and lemon were my favorite ices.
if they are pouring syrup on it that sounds like a snowcone. Snowcones were popular in Hawaii with about 20 or more syrup flavors to choose from.

Keep sketching
Joe

thank you all for the nice words, I really like the works you have posted.
we have become denied to the covid virus, today me too.

Jo, thanks.

Ai, thanks. Looks like pretty good blending to me!

Joe, thanks.

joe1lt, glad you're better!

Blending oil pastels is time consuming, and my sketches were taking too long, so I decided not to blend them for my last sketch. I have ordered a colorless blender pastel (as well as several extra white pastels), but it's not here yet. I have the Colour Shapers, kids version, and those help a little, but I think they're not quite firm enough. I'm also using cotton swabs and eyeshadow applicators.

However, I got out my odorless mineral spirits and got GREAT results. Breaking the rules to post it here, since not from life, but since everybody is talking about oil pastels . . . . Also, I had to quit working on the background because the paper started to disintegrate, but I think if I had better coverage with pastel before I started the OMS, the paper would have held up better.

These are actually Crayola oil pastels, by the way. I got them on clearance for 99 cents. I had no idea that I was going to end up enjoying them so much. Also had no idea they were going to make a lot of truly awful paper usable.
Again, NOT A SKETCH AND NOT FROM LIFE. Posting to demonstrate OMS/OP combo. I did spend a couple of hours on this. Strathmore Toned Grey, 8.5 x 5.5 inches.
20220504_085130 (Small).jpg

joe1lt, hope you are coming back stronger.

Angela, interesting on your oil pastels. Beautiful apple whatever technique it is.

I sketched in the 9 x 12 sketchbook with the Micron 02. We were at the Stone and Stem.

#6, condiments
#7, table
csshfl22condiments.jpg

Jo, thanks! Nice condiments/table. I'm not brave enough to draw in public, although I want to.

#6 Something very light, so light I had to turn off my ceiling fan so it wouldn't blow around when I was trying to draw it. I picked up this feather last time I went for a walk with my dad (a week or so ago). Colored pencil (and a little OMS) on Strathmore toned grey paper, 8.5 x 5.5 inches, 20 minutes.
20220505_171334 (Small).jpg

Back