Scavenger Hunt from Life #116: May 27 - June 4

NedL

Supporting Member
Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life. The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
  • All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
  • Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
  • You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
  • All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
  • Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
  • Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
  • Have fun!
🎈 If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Scavenger Hunt from Life #116: May 27 - June 4

Bottle
Cooking Utensil
Sign
Lunch or Snack
Bird feeder or Bird house
Flower(s)
Free Space
Non-art hobby
Hat
Machinery
Dinosaur
Soap
Door or Doorway
Camera
Leaf or Leaves
Rope, Twine, or String.
Knapsack
Outdoors
Tiny
Huge
Tree or Shrub
Mirror
Free Space
Electronic
Animal
Bell

Feel Free to Substitute
Challenges: 1) more than one item together. 2) Use bold contrast or chiaroscuro

Thanks for the new list. Flower made me laugh, I'll look for something other than the scraggly geranium.

Hi, thanks for the new list.
I meant they fixed the computer.
Afterwards I will mention the previous hunt and post a couple of small drawings that I had then tried two days ago

#1 non-art hobby....done with 2B pencil

1000000431.jpg

I walked on the same road as yesterday's cows. I like this tree and someday I will go there and spend time to make a better drawing of it. There's also a wonderful cypress tree there that I want to draw but is intimidating -- I might try it soon. It's often too windy to draw there.

#1 tree trunk
IMG_1915rs.jpg

Just for interest, here is a print of the same tree that I made a couple years ago. This kind of print is called "papier sepia" ( or "sepia print" ) and was invented by an Italian photographer and printer named Rudolfo Namias who wrote about it in 1901. I printed it on 9x12" Fabriano 1264 paper.
MarshRdEukrs.jpg

Last edited:
Ai, what a lovely poem and drawing. Thanks!!

Ned, great sketch of that HUGE tree. Amazing. Great photo, guess that is your hobby!

Ai, Nedl, wonderful job.

a5 sketchbook, ballpoint,
I never draw outside, on Saturday I tried to do it and I made these, they would go better in the previous hunt so.

sorry,, you can't see it well, both for the photos, photo quality and for the fact that they are light drawings, without details, left incomplete.
the second is a drawing of a brioche and a giant coffee.
first photo of people in front of me on a bus, I have never tried to draw on a bus or train, I won't try again because
when as a boy I tried to read on a train or a bus if I didn't stop it made me slightly dizzy, so since then I have avoided doing it or making too much brushy movements.
this time I tried again and while drawing I felt the same sensation so I stopped after 4 minutes, to avoid discomfort, also now I rarely travel.
However, it was worth trying and interrupting the drawing if necessary.furthermore, having the sketchcook I was able to draw the other 2 drawings later
1Leaf or Leaves
2) people

2024-05-27 20-59_pagina_1.jpg
2024-05-27 20-59_pagina_2.jpg
2024-05-27 20-59_pagina_3.jpg

NedL, Jo, Joe1: Thanks so much.

NedL: After seeing the real photo of the tree, I have no doubt why you want to drawing it again. You did very well today and capture its overall majestic. One day I might be there sketching it with you.

Joe1: Applaud for you going out of your comfort zone. Hope you get a better feel of taking those photos next time. Great capture of real stuffs.

Ai - Love the poem!

Ned - Like sketch. Love the photo. Simply gorgeous.

Joe1 - drawing while in motion can be upsetting. Props for your effort drawing a few minutes at a time. Good job on the leaves.

#1 bird house- have drawn this before as it is only one around us. A fairly quick sketch (@ 20 min) using a HB pencil in 9x12 sketch book. The bird house is a ceramic made for us by my brother who is no longer with us.
IMG_2546.jpeg
IMG_2547.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

joe1lt, so great that you sketched on the buss. Sorry you get car sick as we call it. I did when I was a kid, not fun. The mug is great for my collection! The plant is so full of form. Well done, all!!

Fletch, awww, I like the birdhouse. Such fun and good memories. Happy to see you back sketching.

Gene went on his trike so I sketched in a chair out in the shade on the street. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with a Micron 03. I held the book upside down so the sketches will be our of sequence. Not that it matters, just so irritating. Sigh.
Number 1, doorway - garage across the street

csshfl116doorway.jpg

Ai, I love your poem!!! How fun that we were included.

Ned, nice drawing of the tree trunk. That's one great tree to sketch. I like trees like that with a lot of character. It looks like several trees meshed together.

Joe, sketching people is difficult enough but doing it on a moving bus takes a lot of courage. A lot of the time when I ride in vehicles I do much better just looking straight ahead...not down at a paper, otherwise it bothers my stomach. For some reason for me trains seem to be a little better for sketching when I do it. Nice try!! I like your leaf shapes and the cup.

Fletch, nice birdhouse from your brother. It has a lot of detail. Good work.

Jo, I am imagining your sitting in your chair sketching the doorway across the street. I'm smiling!

A few of these were done yesterday and go into the other hunt, but once again I forgot to hit the "post reply" button. Luckily they fit in this hunt too.

1 - sign - watercolors and ink

IMG_5366.jpeg

This next sketch was sketched at a local farmers market yesterday.
2 - hat - watercolors and ink
3 - animal
IMG_5369.jpeg

Now two small paintings done today out east.
4 - flowers - direct watercolor

IMG_5376.jpeg

6 - outdoors - watercolors

IMG_5374.jpeg

Joan, ha, my doorway was a vehicle for the previous hunt as well. I love your Ice Palace. I never did find a good chocolate ice to share with you and Fletch. The farmers market looks like a good place to sketch, good puppy. The flowers are beautiful and fun to find umbrellas, always good for you to paint! Thanks.

Ai, thanks. I like the tree in oil pastel. Good green variety. I don't even have any anymore. I don't like the feel working with them. Fun choice for bottle and so well shaded.

Of course I sketched on the porch. In the Ohuhu sketchbook with Micron 03 and watercolor added. I had a real Hunt to find the camera. Ha. The leaves are by the wheelbarrows and seem to be poison oak. Need to get that cut down.
Number 2 camera - a point and shoot, hasn't been used in 3 or 4 years after iPhone cameras became handy ( I sketched on the page with the doorway from yesterday which I colored today.
Number 3 leaves - the poison oak and Christmas cactus

csshfl116camera.jpg

csshfl116leaves.jpg

Fletch,Joan,Jo,Ai, wonderful art.
thanks for nice words.
yes, I think it's a bit of a slight car sick.
Thanks for the kind words about the drawings.

ah, after about 10 years or more I went back to a McDonald's a couple of times. Have you ever drawn in a McDonald's?

Jo - clever finding something new from your regular niche. A point and shoot. I have a collection of old cameras that my iPhone as moved to storage. I doubt I would get that close to poison oak. Like the shading.

Joan -ahh Italian Ice another thing not the same outside of NY right up there with bagels and pizza. Smiling looking at the two different styles but both very much you.

Ai - Enjoy seeing your approach to rendering outside water color. Graphite hatching on the bottle is great.

#2 Bottle HB graphite in 9x12 sketchbook.

IMG_2550.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

P.S. Apology for photo.

Ai, you are doing well with your CP work and the OP work. Both came out nice. I rarely use either.

Jo, thanks. Be careful with that poison oak...don't get too close. Nice sketches of the leaves and the Christmas cactus. The last camera that I bought sits unused. Like you I use the phone camera since it is so handy...and it transfers my photos directly to my computer. It's a win!

Joe, I have drawn in a McDonalds. Mostly I get the backs of people standing at the counter, but they stay put for a short while once they sit down to eat.

Fletch, thanks. I have a hard time trying to decide if I want to sketch first in pencil and then add watercolor, go directly to watercolor, or do watercolors and ink. It is a hard decision sometimes. Direct watercolor can sometimes be the quickest...but not always. lol I like your graphite shading on the bottle...nicely done.

I like sketching and painting houses. This one was up a set of steps in Port Jefferson...a very hilly area.
7 - free space - watercolors

IMG_5378.jpeg

Thanks, Fletch. I like your bottle, looks like a lined or double glass. Nice. I don't like drinking out of plastic. I did not get close to the poison oak. I can see it well enough from the porch!

Joan, the house is so amazing. You have the magic touch and eye. I get lost in the details. And yes I stay away from the poison oak.

joe1lt, I have not sketched at McDonalds. I sketched outside at our local burger place. Inside at a few restaurants or coffee shops. It is a challenge but fun.

Back