Recent art that you liked

I stumbled upon Xiao Wang on a Russian Art site on Instagram. Figures and flowers... of course it would interest me. 😜

IMG-7468.900.jpg

IMG-7469.900.jpg

IMG-7470.900.jpg

IMG-7471.700.jpg

IMG-7473.700.jpg

Nikoleta Sekulovic is an artist who currently lives and works in Madrid. She was born in Rome, Italy to a German Mother and a Serbian Father. She has lived and worked in Paris, London, and New York.

Her paintings strike me as straddling elements of Modernism and Classicism. I am reminded of Greek and Etruscan fresco and vase paintings as well as the work of Egon Schiele.

unnamed (10).700.jpg

unnamed (9).700.jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).700.jpg

unnamed (12).900.jpg

unnamed (11).700.jpg

unnamed (5).700.jpg

unnamed (13).700.jpg

unnamed (4).700.jpg

continued...

I see why you like these SLG. There are a lot of similarities here in that of your work. I like them too. ;)

I've been looking at a few new artists lately, and I'll have to go grab some of their images. I'm so bad at that, but I'll be back.

Arty... I've seen Keith Jackson's work before. Christina Quarles is new to me... and I quite like her work. Weirdly Surreal.

Maybe I’m being dense, but why do you want to see a color photograph? Isn’t it a black and white sketch???

By the way, I think its lovely and imo, his sketches are better than his paintings. Or at least I think he manages to capture pensive facial expressions very well using that medium. He lived in Taos and the house he renovated is now part of the Taos Art Museum because of its striking architecture. It’s a kind of mixture of “Russia meets New Mexico.” Outside, it’s a tall white adobe with very thick walls. And inside, all the wooden architectural details and furniture were carved by Fechin himself. (I think his dad was a woodworker). Anyway, it’s a nice place to spend a nice day looking at nice things.

I don’t know who this guy is, but I liked him enough to take (and keep) this image. Those windows in the refection are in the bedroom.
fech1.jpg

I guess I took this picture because I liked her face…so haughty! I just looked to find the name of the painting and I see it’s called, “Rebecca Salsbury James.” Well, now who the hell is SHE?! Google says she’s a painter/colcha embroiderer (more googling) who was married to Paul Strand, the photographer. And yes, they hung around with Georgia O’Keefe and Alfred Stieglitz….same time and places, same circle, similar styles.
fech2.jpg

Here’s another (reflected) image of Nicolai with his wife Alexandra, looking like ghosts still hovering around the place. When they later divorced, he took their daughter Eya and moved away. Alexandra managed the place on her own but after she died, it remained empty for 30 years. When Eya moved back (in the 1970’s?), she fixed whatever needed fixing, created the Fechin Art Institute, and the museum-house is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
fech3.jpg

Funny, what it takes for me to start a-blabbing....

Maybe I’m being dense, but why do you want to see a color photograph? Isn’t it a black and white sketch???

I want to get as close to the experience of the actual art object/image as possible. A black & white photograph reduces the experience.
A drawing or print may have been rendered using black ink or pencil or pastel on a white surface, but it seems to me that a color photograph captures the subtle nuances of the actual color of the paper and the color of the media (ink, pencil, pastel, etc...). A good many years ago I saw an exhibition of the drawings of Georges Seurat. I wasn't expecting much having seen these drawings in black & white reproductions in a book.

Georges-Pierre-Seurat-Portrait-of-Edmond-Francois-Aman-Jean.jpg

But I was truly blown away at the richness of the actual drawings and just how deep and varied the blacks were. I guess I'm just striving toward whatever gets me closest to the experience of the actual work of art.

george-seurat-portrait-of-edmond-francois-aman-jean-1883.jpg

Nikoleta Sekulovic is an artist who currently lives and works in Madrid. She was born in Rome, Italy to a German Mother and a Serbian Father. She has lived and worked in Paris, London, and New York.

Her paintings strike me as straddling elements of Modernism and Classicism. I am reminded of Greek and Etruscan fresco and vase paintings as well as the work of Egon Schiele.

View attachment 32061

View attachment 32062

View attachment 32063

View attachment 32064

View attachment 32065

View attachment 32066

View attachment 32067

View attachment 32068

View attachment 32069

continued...
I just love her work, but I really question this photo shoot of it. Get rid of the kid. Get rid of the cat. Silly decision that detracts from these delicate, beautiful paintings.

I want to get as close to the experience of the actual art object/image as possible. A black & white photograph reduces the experience.
A drawing or print may have been rendered using black ink or pencil or pastel on a white surface, but it seems to me that a color photograph captures the subtle nuances of the actual color of the paper and the color of the media (ink, pencil, pastel, etc...). A good many years ago I saw an exhibition of the drawings of Georges Seurat. I wasn't expecting much having seen these drawings in black & white reproductions in a book.

View attachment 32350

But I was truly blown away at the richness of the actual drawings and just how deep and varied the blacks were. I guess I'm just striving toward whatever gets me closest to the experience of the actual work of art.

View attachment 32353
An impressive difference - beautiful print!

I just love her work, but I really question this photo shoot of it. Get rid of the kid. Get rid of the cat. Silly decision that detracts from these delicate, beautiful paintings.

These photos are all from her Instagram account. Photographs of her paintings that I have seen on gallery websites eliminate these elements. Personally, I like the "installation" views because they really make clear the scale of the work. I always included the measurements in images of my paintings that I posted online, but when I posted a couple of images that included me sitting with the work, I was surprised at just how many people were shocked at the scale of the work. But then again... I shouldn't be surprised. As much as I knew about the scale of paintings by Rubens and other artists, I can't say how many times I've been blown away seeing how big... or small... some paintings are in real life.

Recently received a print that my late uncle made way back in 1948. I met him once while visiting family in Switzerland with my parents. I was 9 years old (1963). He did a small drawing of a herdsman in the alps, and he did so ambidextrously. I never seen anbody before, or since, do so with equal ease. It was only then I realized there was an artist in the family.

St Francis of Assisi. A4 size print.
Copper plate hand-etching, by Wolfgang Hausamann

St.Francis 1948 sml.jpg

These photos are all from her Instagram account. Photographs of her paintings that I have seen on gallery websites eliminate these elements. Personally, I like the "installation" views because they really make clear the scale of the work. I always included the measurements in images of my paintings that I posted online, but when I posted a couple of images that included me sitting with the work, I was surprised at just how many people were shocked at the scale of the work. But then again... I shouldn't be surprised. As much as I knew about the scale of paintings by Rubens and other artists, I can't say how many times I've been blown away seeing how big... or small... some paintings are in real life.
I appreciate why it was done - and I actually like #s 1 and 3. Scale is given without distracting from the art.

The others, especially with the ones mirroring the gestures of the painting, I find too cute. Just my interpretation.

Completely agree with the importance of showing scale, especially online.

Recently received a print that my late uncle made way back in 1948. I met him once while visiting family in Switzerland with my parents. I was 9 years old (1963). He did a small drawing of a herdsman in the alps, and he did so ambidextrously. I never seen anbody before, or since, do so with equal ease. It was only then I realized there was an artist in the family.

View attachment 32357
Impressive! Your uncle was definitely talented- this is excellent work!

View attachment 32357
That is indeed impressive! WOW!

Back