Question for knowldge,

I think acrylics get pushed as "nontoxic" because of their primary solvent being plain water, while it's difficult (but not impossible) to paint in oils without some kind of organic solvent, which no matter how much it does or doesn't smell, needs good ventilation.
That true, and I often forget that, as I'm one of those that doesn't use much solvent.

Acrylic house paint are toxic labeld but for art doesnt. that make sense.

Well gamblin says all cadmiums and cobalt and cerulean is very harmful. since gamblin are the producer of the product whos word we prefer to accept? ofcourse more pigments are harmful but at those the label is very clear.

I'm guessing they feel obliged to warn people with toddlers, who will happily taste anything they get their little hands on
And im guess there are some who are choosing to accept those feeling without any sense and critique mind.

Both oils and Acrylic emit different types of VOCs while in use and drying. There is some research that finds those in Acrylic can be more harmful,(benzine derivatives) but acrylic dries much faster.
I suggest that you ventilate the space. Open windows and exhaust fans are the least expensive. An open window ith a fan in front facing out will work, best to have it sucking away from your workspace. There are some air purifiers that claim they remove VOCs from the air.

Last edited:
Reactions: AES
Both oils and Acrylic emit different types of VOCs while in use and drying. There is some research that finds those in Acrylic can be more harmful,(benzine derivatives) but acrylic dries much faster.
I suggest that you ventilate the space. Open windows and exhaust fans are the least expensive. An open window ith a fan in front facing out will work, best to have it sucking away from your workspace. There are some air purifiers that claim they remove VOCs from the air.
My post follows in response to those who think there are no harmful matters anymore in color product. the one that i have found not hazardous label in Cadmium is Cadmium Hue. anyway.......

I know that paint can be hazardous, but I am not that worried about it because I don't have little children and I work in an open room/house with a fan. I do not go to a ton of extent to air out the room I work in unless I can smell a strong odor, but that's just me. I've been working with the stuff for decades (most of the years in even larger/open studios) and figure if I'm going to die from all this, I would have already.

Don't eat or drink paint. Don't sand it and inhale the dust. Don't bath in it. Don't enclose yourself in a closet filled with drying oil paintings. For paints that's all you need to not do.

For mediums it gets trickier. Even Gamsol bugs me a little.

One thing I've found is I don't like the smell of linseed oil paints, but the M Graham line uses walnut oil. Virtually no smell. I tried water soluble oils but they smelled also.

Don't eat or drink paint. Don't sand it and inhale the dust. Don't bath in it. Don't enclose yourself in a closet filled with drying oil paintings. For paints that's all you need to not do.

For mediums it gets trickier. Even Gamsol bugs me a little.

One thing I've found is I don't like the smell of linseed oil paints, but the M Graham line uses walnut oil. Virtually no smell. I tried water soluble oils but they smelled also.
Nerve gas also dont have smell. it doesnt harm? i think thats why this subject is tricky.

Well gamblin says all cadmiums and cobalt and cerulean is very harmful. since gamblin are the producer of the product whos word we prefer to accept? ofcourse more pigments are harmful but at those the label is very clear.
Sounds about right. Cad pigments are toxic, and so is cobalt and genuine cerulean blue, though I think to a lesser degree. Those ones are bad enough that they (or the state) feel the need to warn about them.

Others may still be a problem, but no one's yelled at the company (or the government) loud enough to make them put a sticker on it.

Last edited:
Research has shown that cadmium and other heavy metal exposure can happen through inhaling (dust, particles, skin exposure, ingestion). Particles can get on surfaces (clothing, funiture, floors, etc.).
I take some measures to reduce any transfer of possible paint particles beyond my painting space. However, who knows what traces can be carried around? Before leaving my studio space i remove my smock. Then I immediately go to the wahroom and throughly wash my hands before using the toilet, etc. unfortunately those tiny amounts are going into my private septic system along with the other crap that comes from soaps, etc.
Another way of cadmium exposure that has been recorded, is through ingesting it through crops that have been grown in soil contaminated with it. After I learned this I stopped throwing away any paint (dried or wet) on rags, palette, etc. because I dont want to contribute to toxins in the land fills, oceans, etc. I re-purpose the freezer paper palettes. My biggest quandry is coming up with a re-purpose for my painting rags.
I think the solution to this pollution is to stop using paint with these pigments. Unfortunately, i have several tubes of paint with these. How to dispose of them? I could sell them, but possibly the person who uses them will be less careful than me. I would not miss the Cad reds but the yellows would be tough to give up.

FYI
Maybe I’m being overly cautious, whatever makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, i have several tubes of paint with these. How to dispose of them? I could sell them, but possibly the person who uses them will be less careful than me. I would not miss the Cad reds but the yellows would be tough to give up.
I'd say just use them up and then don't buy anymore. Better it's dried and inert on a painting than taking up space in some hazmat dump.

Last edited:
Back