Practice washes

jmfletch

Lesson objective was to practice various washes,,gradient, blends, textured, etc add stars and silhouettesto make into small painting. Still lots to learn but these were fun.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_1893.jpeg

IMG_1894.jpeg

IMG_1896.jpeg

IMG_1895.jpeg

Fletch

Lovely! I really love all of these. Thank you for posting them. I enjoyed them thoroughly. ♥️

These turned out beautifully! Looks like a fun way to practice, too.

You are doing so well with these. Fun way to practice and ended up with some nice little paintings.

Terri, Triduana and Jo - Thank you for taking time to stop and comment. The support is greatly appreciated.

Good control in the washes- they can be so nitpicky stubborn sometimes but these made nice pieces. Nice work!

Lovily, well done. I've noticed (for me anyway) that multiple paintings with daytime sky hung on the same wall, and with the skies done differently on each, can still work together. BUT paintings with night sky on the same wall - and the night sky done differently in each- will seem odd, and distracting.

My guess is that we see different day skies in real life all the time and the sky is present all day - and changing - so it's not disturbing to see a series of paintings with varying daytime sky.

We don't have that level of experience with the night sky. All these work alone but -- if hung as a group on a wall -- I think not. Well, in this case, because the subject IS the sky it might, but if those skies were just the background of the painting and not the subject - it just doesn't work imo.

Case in point. I currently have three of my LARGE night paintings hanging in my living room and the night sky is treated differently in each. They barely work in the same room IMO only because they are on different walls. Even so, even though they've been up for a long time now, I still find it a bit disrupting from the ambiance I'm after -- that the skies are different.

Flowercat, CaliAnn & JStarr - Thank you for the encouraging words.

Bongo - Totally agree. We easily accept different day skies together but night skies carry/trigger different feelings.

Back