Petworth

As good, or better, than the ones you have posted on WC in the past that I admired. Great to see you are here now.

As good, or better, than the ones you have posted on WC in the past that I admired. Great to see you are here now.
@Trier I have NOT seen what Arnie has posted on wet canvas and I think his work is great. I have nothing to compare it to. When people mention stuff like this, it only leaves others out that are NOT familiar with artwork from other sites! It's starting to get...what's the word? Exclusionary, rude, cutting. But you are not the only person doing this. Forgive me if it feels like I'm singling you out. It's just the first time I'm saying something.

@Trier I have NOT seen what Arnie has posted on wet canvas and I think his work is great. I have nothing to compare it to. When people mention stuff like this, it only leaves others out that are NOT familiar with artwork from other sites! It's starting to get...what's the word? Exclusionary, rude, cutting. But you are not the only person doing this. Forgive me if it feels like I'm singling you out. It's just the first time I'm saying something.
Hey Arty -

I don,t mind being singled out for this discussion as it will probably benefit everyone in the long run, but will undoubtedly bruise some feelings along the way.

It seems to me that there is a lot of nostalgia expressed by many for WC that I find sort of out of place. There are even tones of invidious comparison, with CS being cast as an inferior substitute for WC. That I find is offensive.

There is also a kind of tendency to transplant or replicate exactly certain practices or social ‘games’ from WC with participants who are ‘in the know’ based on their WC experience. That is perfectly understandable as a normal human disposition, but some of the ‘insider’ references give me a feeling of not belonging to a ‘fraternity’ and of being ‘barbarian’ or a member of the great unwashed.(which I am). Probably just me.

In all fairness, you cannot fault a person for greeting a friend with a reference to the the last time they were together, and for that reason I have not said anything up to now, giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming best of intentions.

Were I not singled out, I would continue with my attitude of letting people do what they like as long as they don’t bother me, and I would just interact with the friends I already have here on CS and hope I can make more of a like mind. Live and let live’, but tempered by ‘don’t tread on me’.
My objective here on CS is to learn and share the techniques, creation, understanding and appreciation of art. The making of friends is wonderful, but not the main objective.

As far as the instant case of my message to Arnie, I was merely trying to let him know that I remembered his work and admired it. The fact that it involved WC was a necessary evil and seemed to be a prevalent thing here on CS.

I am sure you understood that my motives were entirely well intentioned.
I regard and value CS as an experience far better than I received on WC and look forward to it getting even better.
I would prefer not to see people put so much emphasis on former WC participation, but that’s just me.

I hope this clears the air a bit.

Regards,
Trier

Love them both, Arnie, but I am confused by the area under the tree on the viewer right. Is it part of a gravel path?Love the colors in both, the top one is especially inviting.

Love them both, Arnie, but I am confused by the area under the tree on the viewer right. Is it part of a gravel path?Love the colors in both, the top one is especially inviting.
Its water, but in shaddow from the trees - I didnt leave myself enough room there for the curve of the lake and the tree islands which didnt help either. Thanks Arnie

Back