Opinions on monthly challenge

So many rules and guidelines, so little time. :)

Okay, here's how we believe things should work in a perfect community where we all love and respect each other:
  • If you start a thread/challenge/game, or whatever, you have the right to determine how it's going to work and to establish any rules or guidelines that you'd like.
    • That being the case, we'd still ask you to be open to suggestions. You never know when someone might have an idea that improves your concept. If you don't want to change a rule or guideline, say so in a friendly manner.
    • Please do not use jargon or abbreviations that can only be understood by people familiar with previous incarnations of your thread/challenge/game. Assume everyone reading is new to your concept.
  • If you think someone's thread/challenge/game, or whatever could be improved but the person who started the thread disagrees, well, that's the way it has to be. See the first point. 👆
    • In those cases, we encourage you to start your own thread/challenge/game with your own guidelines (or no guidelines). It's not a zero-sum game. Meaning a "challenge" thread about wildlife isn't the only place you can post an image of wildlife. There can be an endless number of threads/challenges/games about wildlife art.
      • Please don't start an endless number of threads/challenges/games about wildlife art. ;)
        • Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just saying.
Long story short: rules and guidelines are okay, but be nice and be flexible, and if all else fails, do your own thing. 🚀

Good! I fully agree with that course. You did ask for info, I simply responded. I'm not espousing any particular path. I DID read it, and yours to me, a while back.

Well, whatever the monthly thing ends up looking like I'm interested. I am ghastly at watercolor and could definitely use a push to try and get better at it.

Ayin and Hannah, please accept my apologies if my comparison with WC was interpreted (such as alphabetizing the forum order) or my response to this thread came across as "because WC did it, CS should follow suit". CS , of course, is its own entity, and we are so thrilled to be here. My thoughts were just what drew a lot of participants, so elements of some of these challenges may work here with some tweaking. They were either by subject matter or media, with the "watermedia" encompassing any water soluble medium. No one has to commit to participating. Some had a "reveal date" of later in the month, so the artists would not be swayed by another rendition, others were at one's own pace. They were personally helpful to me, as there was less decision making about subject matter, and one could see how the others interpreted the subjects. It also motivated me to complete something in a specified time.

CS is so user friendly, so it is a great site already. I was not suggesting duplicating WC, and welcome any and all ideas. As all artists know, it takes a lot of practice, trial and error!

Joy, please do not apologize at all. I feel bad if I made you feel at all uncomfortable with my words, so forgive me for that, please. This is why we all talked about it to see if I was (probably) overreacting or jumping the gun, which I was, but I wanted to also make sure we could come back with some words that could satisfy everyone and still help out the people who had new suggestions. And also keep in mind the new spirit of CP. I think we all have good intentions and are all doing what we can to make a great environment here. You have been wonderful so I hope you feel good. I am grateful for everyone's participation and efforts! ♥️ We will all get it right. :)

Ayin, thank you for your gracious reply. I can only imagine the amount of time and effort creating and maintaining a site like this would entail. I wouldn't even know where to begin. It must seem that those who have no idea of what you are doing are being "back seat drivers". Since CS is getting so many members from WC that enjoyed many of their forums, comparisons are inevitable. Like the mods here (or any forum), Doug (Yorky) has done an incredible amount for so many, so many may mention him as he was always to "go to" person when one had a problem. You are certainly not expected to be anyone other than yourself. As artists may take instruction from many sources and modify it to their own needs, members may take inspiration from other forums. So I hope a mention of another site is not akin to saying "Voldemort" at CS! 🥰

I would love some sort of monthly art challenge. Not just in watercolour but in any medium (I dabble in a fair few mediums like coloured pencil, pastels, watercolour, acrylics etc) as it would help me branch out and actually practice with my art supplies instead of taking them out of the box, admiring them and then putting them back haha

I would love some sort of monthly art challenge. Not just in watercolour but in any medium (I dabble in a fair few mediums like coloured pencil, pastels, watercolour, acrylics etc) as it would help me branch out and actually practice with my art supplies instead of taking them out of the box, admiring them and then putting them back haha
Hi artdragon. Welcome to the forums again. Please have a look around the site some...there are a few different monthly and weekly challenges. I know there's one in Wildlife and Animals section, and there's the All Media Event Forum as well.

Enjoy! :)

Stay tuned. I'm getting up to three images ready.
After this if anyone wants to do a month please send me a message. Thanks! Happy Halloween.

I guess that WC might have shapes many members' expectations over the years. Some of these we might be less conscious of. The influx of so many members and with it, a huge wave of those expectations is a lot to handle I would suppose. Thank you for talking about things openly. I appreciate that a lot 🙂

Edited for spelling mistakes

Kay I could do December if no one else wants to. I have not done my painting for this month yet but I will get to it soon.

Thanks Deborah, I got you down for December.
I'll make a new thread for hosting schedule for 2022.

Claudia, how about doing January? You could begin selecting photos now and next month, and be ready to post them by New Year’s Eve. Just a suggestion…

Back