Opinions on monthly challenge

If I find the time, absolutely yes. I rarely use watercolor anymore but I saw that "diluted acrylics" go here as well. So the acrylics based airbrush paints I paint with sometimes should be ok I hope.

Edit: If a little bit of other media - as Hobbyartist wrote - would be allowed, that would be great.

I could be interested depending on the format! I'm desperate to get back into art but I'm more interested in working from life/imagination rather than images. I'll keep an eye on this thread!

I am interested using watercolors and/ or gouache which I need to more practice in. I like reference images as a starting point or stimulus and would also be happy with a theme. I am looking forward to this!
Cheers
Tanja

I always like the community feel of challenges (and I could use a kick to practise with watermedia!), but I'm not someone who enjoys working from photos. It'd be great to have a way to join in, but I realise that it's not easy to please everyone.

No reason to not have a few photos for inspiration, plus a few "from life suggestions." Verbal suggestions might include, paint your favorite shoes, your favorite chair, something from the bottom drawer in your dresser, something you see in your kitchen, etc.
I would take part when I have time.

Last edited:
Kay, I could be interested when I get the gouache colors which should be soon and just a matter of visiting a nearby art supply store and if gouache colors are approved to the water media challenges. I like the ref. photo idea and please, indication if paintings need to be painted from the ref. photos offered or one can use similar own photo. I usually paint from the photos offered in the challenges. (y)

So is a goal of the challenge to simply provide a reminder (or other;)) to keep painting, or also to provide reference photos to help us assess our growth? We can post our own work not related to challenges in separate threads.

I agree about having both images and word/phrase prompts because maybe sometimes I would like to work from photos and sometimes I would just like some suggested inspiration. I'd be more apt to join in that way.

I don't know what was on WC, so I can't speak to that. You'd have to explain how that was organized so I could then make a new decision.

MY knowledge (limited 'cuz I wasn't at watercolor very long) Yorky posted 1 image for a monthly challenge.

Someone posted a weekly sketch challenge. Generally one (somewhat simple) photo was posted along with several verbal ideas: a continuous line drawing of ___ (an ice cream cone) a memory drawing of (your day)
15 minute sketch of (a horse) , draw with your non-dominant hand something (from your kitchen) etc.
Of course, they were to be painted, :) I don't know if gouache, being opaque, would work so well with these simple, quick drawings.
Paintings were submitted when done, everyone was encouraged to comment on the other works.

MY knowledge (limited 'cuz I wasn't at watercolor very long) Yorky posted 1 image for a monthly challenge.

Someone posted a weekly sketch challenge. Generally one (somewhat simple) photo was posted along with several verbal ideas: a continuous line drawing of ___ (an ice cream cone) a memory drawing of (your day)
15 minute sketch of (a horse) , draw with your non-dominant hand something (from your kitchen) etc.
Of course, they were to be painted, :) I don't know if gouache, being opaque, would work so well with these simple, quick drawings.
Paintings were submitted when done, everyone was encouraged to comment on the other works.
ntl and others,

We at CP are going to powwow about how many of the former WC members are trying to implement, or duplicating a lot of the same rules that were put forth on the WC forums, according to the mods that ran that site. We are trying to figure out how to deal with how this has been coming up lately: rearranging the forum order, making the same WC rules, etc.

I will again, refer you and other to this post made by Hannah not too long ago.

We are not WC and Yorky is not a mod here, nor does he run any challenges. We are a new forum with new ideas and a new vision. We would really like it if we can start a fresh slate. Thanks for your understanding in this.

Back