Monthly Art Prompts - February 2023

Joe, what a creative drawing for top.

CaliAnn, I love your ocean with the surf and waves coming in. Beautifully done.

Lamar, delightful halo. I got a nice chuckle out of this one. Interested media too.

Alabama, what a fun response to beach.

Zen, feet coming to the rescue for sure!

What a great start. Everyone had been very creative with their responses. I look forward to seeing what you come up during the rest of the month.

I was surprised – having lived most of my life about 10 miles from the Atlantic, I thought surely I have some photos of it! But no. I have the Great South Bay, the beaches, etc. Just one (😱) of the ocean. It was taken in the off season, using my trusty Chinon CM-7.

157-00a(Sm).jpg

I know it's not the bay because you cannot see the barrier islands, which are quite visible across the bay.

--Rich

Rich: Your photo of the beach is lovely and calming. Love your oil pastel painting - beautiful movement of the water ❤️

Nice Rich.

I don't think you are alone. We all tend to not take pictures of the things we see everyday.

I like your oil pastels painting. Simple and lovely.

Rich: Your photo of the beach is lovely and calming. Love your oil pastel painting - beautiful movement of the water ❤️
Thanks! Currently we're living about 4 hours from the ocean, rather than 20 minutes. 🙁 But, there's no traffic here! 👍 🥳

--Rich

Nice Rich.

I don't think you are alone. We all tend to not take pictures of the things we see everyday.

I like your oil pastels painting. Simple and lovely.
Thanks! "Simple" is my style. I can admire artists such as my wife who can put hours and hours into a picture, but I'm not quite that patient. 😱

--Rich

I just noticed that the way my eye travels in the photo echoes the sails on your painting - first to chair and umbrella, then out to the boat and back:
rich.jpg

It's a beautiful and classic beach set-up with the red striped chair and umbrella against the sparkling water. The oil pastel painting is also very pleasing to the eye, with just enough info to see it as boats on water.

I thought I had commented here. Don't see it.
joe1lt, your faces are super!

CaliAnn, you know I love pastels. Beautiful beach.

Lamar, the halo repair made me chuckle. Need one of those for my husband. Ha.

Alabama, fun beach scene. Nice sketch.

Zen, too funny o n the eating sketch...

Rich, the beach scene is so great with your own touch. I like the boats, too.

I'll add this old pastel from 2007 until I can do something new.

hotfeetE.jpg

Ah, your lovely pastel is perfect for the Feet, prompt, Jo! Very nice.

I'm glad Johnny Halo gave you a chuckle :giggle: He's worried about the upcoming inspection but can't quite afford Big Mike's repair quote.

Jo, what a lovely pastel and perfect for "feet".

Here's one I did in August of last year for feet. Graphite sketch in XL MixMedia sketch book.

20220820Sk7 Barefoot in the Rain (Pixabay).png

I have some references picked out but I haven't had time to do them yet.

Last edited:
Jo: Your pastel painting is beautiful! Would love to see more of your pastel paintings
Anne: Awesome sketch of the feet!
AJ: Very cool for ocean. So much to look at and explore - great job!

Reactions: ams
CaliAnn: thanks. The ocean is hitting a stone wall, and there is not a sand beach. The plant in the left corner is strange… avoiding it if I do this again. I should be better at the stones. Drawn them from real life and here it is memory.
@CaliAnn

Alabama, good choice for the ocean. I like the stone wall instead of a beach. I gives a feeling of the power of the ocean as the waves hit the wall.

I did one for ocean. Pen & Ink in XL MixMedia sketchbook, about 6" square. I think I pushed the shadows on the dolphin a little too much. Not sure they read as shadows but that's what the dark patches are supposed to be. :D

20230213Sk7 Dolphin (WDE).png

Anne: Your dolphin turned out beautiful. Getting that full frontal view is not easy, but you did an excellent job
Sylwia: Your ocean is gorgeous! Love the bold color choices

Reactions: ams
Sylwia, love the atmosphere you captured in the ocean painting.

Here's one I did in August of last year for feet. Graphite sketch in XL MixMedia sketch book.
Anne, this is gorgeous. Clever pose. I like your dolphin. Watery looking, good job. So hard to do water and reflections like the shadows in black and white.

Alabama Jama, I like your "fishy" drawing. Mixin' up the colors. Makes me smile.

Sylwia, mmmmm, I like your ocean. You do great in all media.

Cali Ann, I'll stick in a couple more pastel feet, but I do hope to do something new for the prompts. Really. :) These are quite a few years old. Ha. I do think the idea of the prompts is to do something new.

01508tx2step.jpg

Two Steppin'

02908bootsctn.jpg

Boot Scootin'

Back