MONTHLY ART PROMPTS APRIL

Rainowl, I love your bear. There is such a feeling of action here. He looks like he is poised to catch a fish, just waiting for one to swim by.

Penny, I like your "red boats" painting. There's not a lot of detail but I still feel I see the whole scene. Well done!

Alabama, I like your red abstracts. There is such a feeling of motion in the first one. In the second I like the interaction of the different reds. Both spark my imagination.
I really love your 2nd abstract and your first is interesting too - gets me thinking! Well done on both.

Here is my "In a Row." Ink and Inktense in XL Mix Media sketchbook. Reference is from Pixabay.

20220415Sk7 Following Mom (ColorMeSunny, Pixabay).png
x

I actually started a painting for this yesterday morning! Then had to take BF to ER in the middle of a snowstorm... not a fun day afterall. Still hoping to finish that painting! :)

ams/Anne, I previously only knew you to do digital work from your postings at WetCanvas and I keep wanting to tell you that I think your handwork (analog work? ;^) is so much better! it's like it becomes 3D vs 2D, if you know what I mean. :)

I actually started a painting for this yesterday morning! Then had to take BF to ER in the middle of a snowstorm... not a fun day afterall. Still hoping to finish that painting! :)

ams/Anne, I previously only knew you to do digital work from your postings at WetCanvas and I keep wanting to tell you that I think your handwork (analog work? ;^) is so much better! it's like it becomes 3D vs 2D, if you know what I mean. :)
Thanks Hosta. I enjoy doing both. I did watercolor for many years before I became interested in digital and now have gone back to it for a while. I'm glad you like the work I am doing now. I think my digital tends to be a little stiffer.

So sorry to hear about your ER visit. It does NOT sound like it was fun. I hope your BF is doing better today and the weather is better.

Your bear looks great! Your style would work really well in children's book illustrations. Agree with qualifying the digital work as "stiffer" and I'm guessing it has to do with digital tool controls and your image resolution, but that's just a wild guess. And yes, thanks, things are finally going a little better and BF is sleeping! He hurt something in his back last Wed (lifted something heavy and heard his back pop), then he made it worse on Thursday by trying to swing a golf club, and he finally gave up in agony and had to go to the ER yesterday. It turned out to be a stable compression fracture of the 12th vertebrae. yikes.

I'm not sure I achieved everything I had hoped to, but I was trying to channel Vincent with "wild". I may still tweak this, but it's getting too dark to work now. Acrylics on stretched canvas 12" x 12"
IMG_7511 (1).jpg

Hostajunkie - Oh a Vincent painting, wonderful! I love Vincent Van Gough's work. Years ago I did attempt to copy one of his and also "Starry Night" but mine was not good. Your's however is great, love it!

Anne - Lovely bear painting for wild! I very much like your Inktense technique too.

Reactions: ams
Hostajunkie, I love your "Vincent" painting. You have definitely captured "wild" in a very creative way.

Vivien and ams, thank you — Vincent’s work (mind?) was definitely wild. :) I have evolved from loving the Impressionists (Monet, Renoir) to loving Vincent’s work best. I also did a version of Starry Night a few years back! Not a copy, as in duplicate, but enough to see/feel it — like this piece. I saw a fabulous Van Gogh exhibit at the Clarke Institute in Massachusetts around 5 years ago and it was absolutely amazing. I was able to position myself front and center on nearly every painting… so close that I could clearly see the hairs and particles stuck in the paint. amazing….. and wild!

eta: I still have that new box of oil paints I haven’t tried. I think I need to try to use oils to achieve a better result.

I just remembered I had this photo from outside the exhibit.... it's the only place they allowed photographs. :( That's me. I should have studied harder. lol! Seeing this makes me want to try 'Vincent' again... with oils!

me_vangogh.jpg

Question: I'm generally an acrylics painter. Should I use separate brushes for oils? I've read both opinions on the subject. I'd hate to ruin my good brushes. :p

I just remembered I had this photo from outside the exhibit.... it's the only place they allowed photographs. :( That's me. I should have studied harder. lol! Seeing this makes me want to try 'Vincent' again... with oils!

View attachment 21043

Question: I'm generally an acrylics painter. Should I use separate brushes for oils? I've read both opinions on the subject. I'd hate to ruin my good brushes. :p
Ive seen some of Vincent's actual paintings when Ive been holidaying overseas (years ago now). I could only stand in awe at how his artist's brain could have rendered such amazing art! He was a genius. And I still really admire him.

Brushes for acrylic: Yes definitely use different brushes for working with acrylic. Synthetic brushes are ok because using various techniques, such as scrubbing the paint in, can ruin your good brushes, and also the acrylic medium is sometimes difficult to remove from your brushes completely, thus ruining them! (Ive had that experience!)

I agree about Vincent's mind, Vivien. And thank you for the brush info!

I'm tweaking my earlier painting.... the colors were stronger than I had intended. I hope I'm going in a better direction. lol!

Back