MONTHLY ART PROMPTS APRIL

Vivien

The prompts for this month of April are:

IN A ROW

WILD

RED

Create some art that is inspired by any of this month's prompts. Let your imagination soar. Turn on your creative juices.
All media and styles are welcome (drawing, painting, digital, photography, sculpture, multi-media, representational, abstract, etc.). It can be something done quickly, a finished work of art or anything in between. It can be created from your imagination, from life or a photo reference. If you use a photo reference, please make sure it has no applicable copyright restrictions.

Post your finished (or unfinished) art in this thread. Post any time during the month, as many times as you would like.
Tell us a little about the work if you so desire. For example, you could include the medium you used, where you got your inspiration or how long it took. When you post, it's always nice to "like" or comment on posts made earlier in the thread by other artists. We all like acknowledgement of our work!

Let the prompts spark your creativity. The most important thing is to have fun.
For help in finding reference images online, click on the link: Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
Tutorial: How to Find Copyright-Free Reference Images.
If you have copyright-free images that go along with the prompts that you would like to share, you can post them in this thread for others to use.

If you would like to provide prompts for a month, sign up here.

Here's my red tomatoes pastel. Panpastels in my sketchbook. It is Autumn here in NZ and these were my last tomatoes of the Season
20220328_143723.jpg

Interesting prompts this month Viv and your tomatoes are off to a great start.

Thanks for hosting this month.

Anne

Interesting prompts this month Viv and your tomatoes are off to a great start.

Thanks for hosting this month.

Anne
Thanks Anne. The tomatoes were painted from life in my sketchbook.

Super tomatoes, Vivien. Love the red.
JennieJo, you are the wild one. Like this a lot and like Vivien know little about abstracts.

I like this JennieJo, I dont know a lot about abstract art, but I do like your painting! Such an interesting design which moves the eye through your painting.
Thanks Vivien, appreciate your thoughts.

I finished one for "red". These are red fly argaric mushrooms. I looked them up on the internet. They are poison but very striking as far as their color. It was "fun" to work around all the little white spots. I think I should have just waited and put them in with gouache but I didn't. These are ink and inktense in my sketchbook.

20220404Sk6 Red Fly Agaric Mushrooms (LoggaWiggler, Pixabay).png

I finished one for "red". These are red fly argaric mushrooms. I looked them up on the internet. They are poison but very striking as far as their color. It was "fun" to work around all the little white spots. I think I should have just waited and put them in with gouache but I didn't. These are ink and inktense in my sketchbook.

View attachment 20463
Anne, lovely painting! I know these red-spotted mushrooms very well. They are very common and are growing in our province at this time of the year - Autumn in my part of the world. They look most impressive but they are indeed poisonous!

Last edited:
Anne, the snow leopard is wonderful. Love the expression and details.
The mushrooms look good enough to eat but guess I won't be trying any! Well done on both.

Vivien, super juicy looking tomatoes, that red fairly glows
JennieJo, interesting abstract, I like the way the colours and shapes move through the painting
Anne, what a gorgeous snow leopard, I do love the big cats as subjects. The mushroom look very inviting but the red is a real 'hands off' warning.

On a visit to our distillery I did loads of sketches and took even more photos - so many possible paintings! This is worked up from one of those sketches with reference to some photos for detail. About 8 x 12 ins, charcoal and white pastel over a ground of acrylic ink.

In a row

HP Logs.jpg

Sue, I like your "in a row." The colors and texture are perfect.

Thanks Anne, your snow leopard reminded me I had an unfinished piece - I sort of lost the way on it so put it away and forgot it - anyway I dug it out and decided it was salvageable, amazing what a break will do sometimes.

Lion, (can't remember where the image was from but it would have been copyright free() soft pastel and coloured pencil on Canson Mi Tente, about A4

lion.jpg

Wonderful lion Sue. I love your use of lots of colors. Isn't it amazing how creative you can be with color as long as you have the values right. (y)

Thanks Anne, I think the reason I put this aside was the lack of dark tones, so when I concentrated on rectifying that and added a few more touches I felt much happier with it.

Back