Limited palette, limited ability

Donna T

I'm still recovering from surgery on my dominant left hand and trying to do what I can while it's in a brace. My right hand isn't capable of much either so I felt like Edward Scissorhands trying to hold a brush with whichever fingers were available. :LOL: I could only open the tubes of burnt sienna, Payne's gray, black and white so limited palette it was. The shapes evolved from a splotchy underpainting and I put a few accents of pastel on top. Since I used gesso instead of white paint the pastel stuck surprisingly well. It felt soooo good to push and mush some paint around again! 6x9 acrylic and pastel on watercolor paper.
IMG_3320pscs.jpg

Congratulations on getting a piece done. It's a big step. The piece is quite lovely in my opinion.

Lovely mood Donna. Pallet has worked well. The burnt sienna is lifting it. Lovely texture. Hope you recover full pain free movement quickly. (y)

This is seriously gorgeous, Donna. Your perseverance did you proud. A beautiful piece! I agree with Arnie about the burnt sienna. Yay!!

I love the palette, even thought limited, it made a beautiful almost monotone. Super! ❤️

Donna, that's gorgeous! Muted color can be so lush ironically. Sorry about your hand, but clearly your "eye" works very well anyway.

I love this! You should have surgery more often (Totally kidding!!!). I think this is stunning and love the bits of pink that turned up. Just gorgeous. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Thanks Wayne. It’s a big step for me just to think about the possibility of painting again. I don’t want to get my hopes up but I really want to paint!

Thanks so much Arnie.

Thanks Terri - burnt sienna is worth playing with again.

Thanks Bethany. I guess it wanted to be a damp day.

Thanks Bongo. Hard edges aren’t easy to get when much of a painting is done with a wet paper towel, the push and smoosh method, lol.

Thanks Sno, I always love a monotone, tonalist look.

Thanks Bart. Even one fully functional hand would be great! The things you don’t take for granted.

Thanks Ayin, eek I dread the next surgery but will do whatever it takes to not only be able to paint but tie my shoes and cut my own food. I miss washing dishes so maybe I need my head examined too.

Oh, you will get there and start washing dishes again. Until then, who's washing them for you? (Are you getting a break from them at least?)

My husband’s doing everything. Lucky for me he likes to cook. I can still clean the floors by pushing a rag around with my feet so I’m not completely useless. Also I provide entertainment by squeezing the peanut butter jar between my knees so I can open it and by using my elbow to squeeze out toothpaste. 🤣

Beautiful, Donna. I, too, hope you heal quickly and completely!
(Doing dishes isn't all that much fun, so no worries there! :) )

Thanks ntl. I’ll probably save my hands for painting instead of housework.

Thank you Zoran. I appreciate it.

This is *terrific*! It is a lovely balanced work, and the eye moves around and around seeking out those tiny little bits of higher chroma colour- not many- not startling- just a few that sparkle for a pleasing second.

I'm sorry to hear about surgery and the healing process and the adaptions having to be made in response (you know that rubbery-plastic honeycomb shelf covering stuff- comes in rolls? Cut a 4" x 4" piece and, trust me, you'll be able to open most jars. Without cussing, even!) It'll all keep coming back- and you might have to adapt a few times, but your brain is doing the most work- it won't fail you.

Love to see your profile pic, too- it looks quite intriguing---

Thanks JStarr - I was hoping those little spots of color would keep it from feeling too gloomy. I have some carpet cushion stuff that’s a lot like shelf liner so I’ll give it a try!

This is so beautiful. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Loved reading the saga. Hugs, Donna.

Back