Maryland Memory

Donna T

I'm trying to learn to paint with oils. This is based on an old house in Maryland that always got my attention. There is only one tree in the yard and it always felt kind of lonely. I wanted a less literal, more graphic feel so I'm OK with how it turned out in that respect. Mixing in too much solvent-free gel caused some blotchiness in the sky so I'll be more careful next time. I also learned that Ultramarine blue and yellow ochre could not make all the greens I needed so I had to add another yellow even though I was trying to stick to a limited palette. 16x16 oil on paper.

IMG_3257pscs.jpg

I'm trying to learn to paint with oils. This is based on an old house in Maryland that always got my attention. There is only one tree in the yard and it always felt kind of lonely. I wanted a less literal, more graphic feel so I'm OK with how it turned out in that respect. Mixing in too much solvent-free gel caused some blotchiness in the sky so I'll be more careful next time. I also learned that Ultramarine blue and yellow ochre could not make all the greens I needed so I had to add another yellow even though I was trying to stick to a limited palette. 16x16 oil on paper.

View attachment 18134
[/QUOTE

Very nice 👍 I like it!!!

A house on the top of a hill makes for an interesting scene🥰

Looks pretty good to me. Glad that you transferred your lovely color choice from your pastels to the new medium.
It has dream like, sunny atmosphere.

I think it's beautiful. I love the composition and the palette - it looks so quiet. I really like the lone tree.

Very nice and yes, it is somewhat reminiscent of Wyeth's works. ❤️❤️

Love your colors and those poles keep the eye from going
off the page to the left. Good comp. Nicely done.

Interesting composition. Well done on your colors and textures. You'll be whipping the oil paintings out as quick as your pastels. Lovely.

I love this. The simple colour palette really appeals to me (I love orange and the oranges you've created here are beautiful). Very atmospheric too - I think you've successfully captured that feeling of loneliness about the place.

Interesting bold composition, and good variation in all the yellow to keep it interesting. The simplicity makes for a peaceful/isolated mood, but all the yellow gives a secure/reasurring feel.

Yes, this is a very interesting composition and a lovely painting. I like the palette so much! Well done here.

I like the composition and color relations. The foreground shadow of the pole is important to comp. but color doesnt feel right and edges seem a little hard In relation to the sky.

Well thanks for the positive response everyone! Richard, Esther, Wayne, Kay, Sno, Perry, Jo, Claudia, Arnie, Ayin, Patrick and Hermes: much appreciated!

Patrick, thanks for pointing out the shadow. In my reference the shadow falls on an empty cornfield so I changed it. I'll find a reference with a wheat field and see if it will give me some clues. I know there should be a blue influence from the sky but maybe what I have is too blue.

I agree the shadow looks too blue. Also, cast shadows usually change color depending on the surface they are cast on, in this case the grass, the road, the wheat field. My experience tells me that the shadow on the field should be a darker hue than the overall color of the field, perhaps cooler depending on light source. Try adding more of the same color you used for the field, and less of the blue you used for the shadow.

Thank you Ruth.

Patrick, I'm glad you said that. I worked on it more yesterday and took some of the blue out of the shadow. There is a slight color change as the shadow passes over the road and grass but it's not showing up here. I'm afraid to mess with it anymore. Thanks again.

Back