A "re-pear" job

Donna T

I think Jo and I must have been thinking about pears at the same time because I took this painting of mine out of the frame and reworked it on the day she posted her beautiful still life. The original had a very dark background because I painted it from life while it was in a box with a strong light on it. While I liked the pear itself the dark background was just not working so I brushed off most of it while trying not to wreck the pear. I think the pear shows up better now but as always I welcome any suggestions. It was nice being able to hold a pastel in my left hand but I have to wear a brace to keep my thumb from moving. In a few weeks I'll be having another surgery to try to fix it. The one I had last March didn't quite work so back I go. 8x9 in. soft pastel on homemade gritted, toned, heavy watercolor paper.

IMG_3326PScs.jpg

The pair has atmosphere and is very lovely but the space needs to be rationed out. 3/4 up you have what could be the horizontal break between table and wall. If you were to remove that blue and purple above the line by greying them down, that would push it back and open more space foe the pear to step forward. Also, if you were to get a grey green in minute qty on the shadow of the pear that woul push the pear forward as well. The values are good so keep your additions in the same value family. Hard to explain. If not sure put a plastic over the painting and see your attempted change on the plastic before you actually try the real thing.

Hope it helps. Careful not to ruin it as it has some nice happenings.

courageous choice for background color and it works splendidly. The texture and motled light adds a dreamy surreal quality taking this out of the realm of "another pear still life"` and adding something special.

There is something "stately" for lack of a better word about this painting.

Donna, please forget that I commented on this. I am sorry. I forget that not everyone wants to paint like I do and that things are good in their own way. Bongo is correct: the piece stands on it's own in it's own space and not a space I think it would fit. I am sorry I got ahead of myself and saw it in my eyes, not yours. It won't happen again.

This is amazing work, Donna! I think you're very brave to just "brush off" a background you didn't like and tackle it.

I don't know what it looked like before, but this background just glows. The colors are beautiful and yes, they are pushing your pear forward so it's the star of the show. And I love this pear!! ❤️

Textures, shadows, colors....this one has it all.

I'm so sorry the first hand surgery hasn't gotten you back all the way. What a pain in the you-know-what! :( I hope this one does the job.

Wayne, there’s no need for you to feel bad about anything. I asked for thoughts and appreciate all suggestions - always. You made me laugh with your “careful not to ruin it” advice. Famous last words! Also, I realize that this pear doesn’t really fit any categories; it’s not super realistic as it floats a bit in its surroundings, and it’s not abstract. How does one critique that? Thanks for your comments.

Thanks Bongo. The original background was a deep dark blue so I just kept adding colors until something looked better.

Terri, I brushed off most of the background then I sprayed it down with SpectraFix while holding a scrap paper over the pear. It felt good to attack the original background and try for something different. Thank you.

Thanks Kay. At least it’s more deserving of a frame now.

Wayne, there’s no need for you to feel bad about anything. I asked for thoughts and appreciate all suggestions
Thank you .. I realized my suggestions would paint it as I would and not you ... I would hate to offen one of my best comment contributors. Your comments are always reflective of someone who actually looked intently at the piece and are deeply appreciated. 💕

This is GREAT!

It DOES stand on its own very well, and your value structure *works*. Like Wayne, I'd have greyed down the blue-violets on at least one side- likely back to the right- with a greenish swipe or three, but it doesn't need that- the value structure works so well.

Nice re-pear!

Thanks Julie. I was too afraid of messing up the background -again- and the pastel was starting to slide around so I left it. If I hadn’t been concerned about wrecking the pear I might have been braver about making those changes. Next time I’ll try to plan ahead, what a concept!

This is so beautiful, Donna!! I love how you dared to put these colors together and totally made them work. Brilliant! ♥️

You know I'm a red painter. I absolutely love this and the background sings to me. Applause. Re-pear is superfine!

Thanks Julie. I was too afraid of messing up the background -again- and the pastel was starting to slide around so I left it. If I hadn’t been concerned about wrecking the pear I might have been braver about making those changes. Next time I’ll try to plan ahead, what a concept!
Even on horrible Canson you can use an old water colour brush to brush some of the pastel off- then your layers quit sliding and stick. Easier on a sanded surface, but it'll work on laid paper, too.

Again, really good stuff, Donna.

Wow, this was posted back on the 10th of Jan., an here it is Feb! And I’m just now seeing it! I like it! It has one those unexpected color combinations that really work and a darned good pear too. 😁❤️🍐

Back