You talkin' to me? Gorilla in Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
This is watercolor, A5, on Hahnemühle 90# tinted paper. I am experimenting with a limited palette (concept courtesy of Hazel Soan's book and interview) and my colors were Raw Umber, AlizarinCrimson and Cobalt Blue. Overworked as usual, but at least I am trying different subject matter, as this was a challenge photo. The lighter weight paper and my exuberant use of water made this appear rather splotchy.

9BC4844F-DBA1-495A-9DA0-5D404C5F0D33_1_201_a.jpeg

Very good Joy. Love the colours, especially the way you've used the blue.

Kay, Jo, CaliAnn, thanks for your comments and taking time to look.

Great job with the limited palette! They definitely come with their own unique set of challenges. I agree with Kay that you put that blue to good use with shading. Nice work. :)

It's lovely! Especially interested because I am also exploring limited palettes in watercolor. I think you did a fantastic job with yours.
(Wouldn't mind leaving through that book you mention...)

Terri, thanks!
EJH, Amazon will let you look inside the book and download a sample. The author in my posted link shows quite a bit and discusses color combos on the YouTube video.

Joy, this is very good. I agree with Kay on how you used the blue, and I am fond of the little grass patch too! I don't think it's too overworked. I didn't think that when I eyed it at first look. I like the look of "blotched out" watercolors, so I like this a lot! ❤️

Srik, Rak - thanks for leaving such favorable comments. It is challenging to work through th "ugly stage" of a painting. Learning to trust the process, and knowing it will show improvement when the darks are added has been helpful.

Back